NY Adirondacks - Meacham Lake

Discussion in 'New York' started by BillG, Aug 18, 2013.

1. BillG

BillG Go'in fishing

Just returned from another stay at my favorite New York DEC State Campground, Meacham Lake.
    It was a bit colder then we expected but only had one day of rain and did get some fishing, canoeing and rest in. This is absolutely the cleanest campground I have ever stayed in and I will tell you it is difficult to judge NYS campgrounds as they are all so clean.
    This is an active campground with lots of people camped there but the sites are spaced in the trees so you never feel crowded and when quiet hours come...it gets quiet.
    It is very popular here and you really have to get a reservation in early if you want a particular space. We always opt for the waterside, even though that is directly in the path of the prevailing winds which come off the lake.
    We will be going back again next year for sure.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. Kawartha-Camper

Kawartha-Camper New Member

Sounds great ,me & the family are looking into camping in NY state next summer , camped alot there in the Adirondack's when I was a kid , how much is it for hookups ? Here in Ontario at provincial parks your looking at $46 a night!

3. BillG

BillG Go'in fishing

This campground is like most in the Adirondacks (DEC run) and has no hookups. There are some that do but it is easy to check out on their site: http://www.dec-campgrounds.com/
    We have never camped with a hookup in almost 40 years of camping together.
    P.S. A lot of Canadians use this campground, there is even a section where it seems like many of them go to camp in the same area.

4. dickinjo

dickinjo Member

I drove right past Meechan Lake on RT30 on my way to Brasher Falls CC Dam to camp labor day weekend. I usually would have taken 458 but the brideg was out so I had to go to Malone and back east on 11.

5. BillG

BillG Go'in fishing

Yup, the bridge was out when I was there as well. I will have to take a drive up to your CG next year when I am up there again.

6. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

Man! I forgot about this place. Was our annual Canada day weekend campground all through the 80s.

Might go this year. Still no hookups?

7. BillG

BillG Go'in fishing

No, still no hookups, but you will like some of the improvements made to that CG. There is one new wash/out house which is great. They now have a very neat boat launch which complies with the washing rules in NY now for the lakes. We were there last year, again, and really had bad weather. It seems that is getting more the norm now with climate change affecting it.
    If you go, have a great time.