October 2018 - what did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    On my last trip in July the vent button on my cassette tank broke while dumping. I finally ordered a replacement from the UK, and it showed up yesterday so I will get that little annoyance fixed.

Nothing else planned for mods, but I do need to find time to address my balky coupler. I have surge brakes (which I hate) and the cylinder needs rebuilt. With the coupler needing some prying each time to get it unhooked I am giving serious thought to having it cut off and a regular one welded in its place, and swapping the surge crap for electric ones instead. Price is probably about the same anyway once new pads/hardware are factored in.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. Balthisar

Balthisar Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Plymouth, MI USA
    My torsion axle finally came in! It was ordered at the beginning of July, and arrived improperly configured from Dexter, and had to be re-ordered.

However, I can't take it to the shop until next week, because I need to install my new winch cable first, because it broke again (in a different spot) while trying to set it up after my last trip. Because it collapsed when it was about halfway up, the bunk end canvas all blew out, so at least I'm accomplishing that part of the dryout. In any case, I think Goshen said it would be shipped yesterday, so here's hoping I'll have it in time for a weekend repair.

It's terribly depressing doing all of this work, knowing what the trailer is worth, even with a new axle (including hub and brakes). But she's my pup, so the sunk cost fallacy doesn't apply.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I bought 33' long fairy lights in white. I'm hoping I could somehow figure out a way to drape it over my awning and back near my door so I could see when I'm cooking. It will probably attract bugs but I'm hoping if it's high enough from the stove it won't bug me so much. The nice thing about it, is the dimmer switch can really make it like a night light so I won't trip over the awning ropes late at night if I sit around the campfire. I got it on sale for only $13 so not out much if it does not work like I planned. Hoping for one or two more trips before winter but waiting for the weather to improve, assuming it does. If not, I'd be winterizing in the storage facility which will be interesting when I can't fully open the camper.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 New Member

Sep 20, 2018
    South Louisiana
    I think the pictures tell the story. [:(O]

Rotten section of floor on my Aliner. The rest of the floor is solid, but I had a rotten spot right where you walk in. I think this is because the previous owner never replaced some weatherstripping missing at the top of the door.

Need some Proflex caulk for the seems and some Por15 for the rusty frame members below the rotten floor piece and I'll button everything back up with construction adhesive, self-tapping screws into the frame, and some rivets to put the trim pieces back on that I had drill off. Not a difficult repair, but a little time consuming since I can only work on it in the evenings for about an hour until the skeeters come out, and there's dry time on everything I'm working with.

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Sure looks like you know what you are doing.

6. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 New Member

Sep 20, 2018
    South Louisiana
    Thanks Raycfe!

But, nope. Totally winging it. [LOL]

The fiberglass resin is an experiment. We'll see how it does in the long term. At the very least, if I have to replace it again in the future, it wasn't that difficult to get down to this point.

Side note, if anyone knows. I need to reseal the wheel well next to my replaced piece. The original sealant is a thick caulk-like substance that looks like it was brushed on or smeared on with a gloved hand. Anyone knows what the best thing to use to replace this would be? I was thinking of using the Proflex there too, and just glooping it on.

7. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 New Member

Sep 20, 2018
    South Louisiana
    LOL. Oh man, you just described pretty much every project I take on.

8. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Took down the "ugly" (DWs word) border in the whole camper. Being me means I pulled off a piece of the vinyl wall covering so now I get to patch that, yay? Also finally ordered and received my BAL leveler adapter for my screw gun. With the install of the power hitch jack I'm not fully electric for setup and leveling, woot!

9. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 New Member

Sep 20, 2018
    South Louisiana
    Got a bit more done today with the floor repair.

One of the things I hate most about powdercoat is its failure mode. Instead of just rusting where it gets knicked or scratched like paint, PC will sheet off the metal and allow corrosion to infiltrate behind. It then flakes off in big chunks.

Scraped everything down as good as I could, then used a paint removal wheel on a drill to scuff the metal and feather the edges of the remaining good powdercoat. Put a good coat of Por15 on it. Once it gets just barely still tacky, I'll spray on some topcoat to give it UV protection, then I can move on. Hopefully all this will be dry by tomorrow and I can start putting the floor plywood in for good.

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Well... its that time of the year for us again. Popped it open today to make sure there was no food left in there for the critters. Vacuumed all the corners, made sure everything was dry. Got the battery out, the propane tank off, anything out that isn't supposed to freeze.... Now just need to make room in the shop, and it will be gone until next year,.. sniff sniff whimper

11. Merlin14

Merlin14 Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Bought 2 silver/orange blankets for bunkends. Three day boondock next weekend to try them out. Hooray!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I finished my platform.

Before:
    IMG_20181012_182246.jpg
    After:
    IMG_20181012_183617.jpg
    IMG_20181012_183626.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 9:46 PM
    Sjm9911 and hq308 like this.
  13. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Took our pup out for the last trip this season, good thing it was the last trip too, as I ripped a 12" hole on one of the bunkends during setup. The canvas is 34 years old, so it wasn't entirely unexpected, but I'll have to remove the bunkend canvas this weekend to see about getting it repaired. I know we're in for a complete new canvas at some point, but hoping to get at least one more year out of it. Our house pays off next November, so we'll (hopefully) be able to purchase a compete canvas then. In the meantime, the thermostat mod I referenced earlier in this thread came thru with flying colors, works MUCH better than the original 'stat & position.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Changed this;
    07F6B822-9A56-4743-9FA5-C6597F13D2C3.jpeg
    To this;
    3A721A3F-D057-4FE3-A065-3017E2ACB075.jpeg
    Found a Futon cover from Amazon and the fit is perfect. Now we have a “base” to work from so DW can pick out matching material and I’m going to recover the dinette cushions, window treatments and curtains on bed. Note the now removed “border” as well.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Oh and I know it’s mainly white but that’s what Scotchguard is for and it’s machine washable

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    With it being mostly white, it makes color coordinating very easy. :)

When I had a futon for my living room couch, I bought a second cover in a coordinating pattern/color. That way, I was able to remove one for washing and immediately put the on the mattress. I also put a plastic zippered mattress cover on under the futon cover - so when the dogs ran in soaking wet and jumped on the futon, they didn't get the mattress wet.

emoney likes this.
  17. Balthisar

Balthisar Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Plymouth, MI USA
    Well, I got the winch cable replaced. Goshen sent me the wrong one, or manufactured it wrong (still waiting on their response), but I installed it anyway just so I could raise the roof and finish winterizing. I ended up having to extend the pulley with a new threaded rod and coupler so it would raise level. I have no idea what the UTS of the rod and coupler from Lowe's are compared to Goshen's pulley road, so I really hope Goshen responds to my email. I might have to replace the cable with the correct one.

Going in for my axle today!