OK I Am Confused About Are Heaters In Are Two Campers Please Help Need Info

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by HYDETHERAT, Sep 18, 2010.

1. HYDETHERAT

HYDETHERAT Member

I need some info on are heaters ill tell you how my old camper works and then i will tell you about are new camper

[list type=decimal]
    [*]the old camper is a betheny compact 560 and the heater works this way first turn on the propane then you set the heat you went it to be at then the fan will turn on then a 15 20 seconds later it will ignite and start throwing off heat

[*]the new camper we just picked up is a 1986 palomino mustang and if i under stood him right you got to go out side the camper and start the pilot light and then you can start the furnace i am not shure if that is the case I HOPE IT IS NOT
    [/list]

i am thinking about redoing my heater system and put the self lighting heater in my new camper from my old one is it possible and the rate the difficulty from 1 - easy to 10 - pain in the butt how does it rate i think the measurements are the same

2. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

Don't take offense of what I about to say but I had to read your post a couple times to understand what your saying...first its OUR not ARE Its our camper, not its are camper. Its also WANT not went. Sorry but I'm a stickler for proper grammer and spelling so I can understand folks. Number one rule in communication is to make sure you are spelling things correctly so people can understand what is being comuunicated. Now to answer your question.

The newer heaters are easier to use. On the outside of your pup is a "pilot" light which needs to be lite first, then you can adjust your thermostat to the temperature you want. It will come on as soon as you push the thermostate to a temperature yo want. Only problem is sometimes the pilot light will get blown out if there are high winds blowing outside. So solve this problem, some folks place metal screens on the inside of the vents to : 1) keep bugs out and making nest inside the unit. 2) to keep the wind from blowing out your pilot light before the unit itself starts when you adjust the thermostat.

As far as swapping out heaters i would not. You would have to check on the size of both units and possibly make room for the old unit...this I don't know without seeing both units and space you have available. Does the new one work? if so don't swap it out, they are good units.

I hope I did not offend you in any way, just trying to understand what your are trying to say. I hope I was of help to you!

JJ

3. HYDETHERAT

HYDETHERAT Member

i do not take offense buy it :)

thank you for your help but i do not know how to start the pilot light

4. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

If you go to the manufacturere's website you can look up the manuals for your pup, and you should see who makes it, then go to their website. My heater in my Fleetwood start automatically when I flip a switch on the thermostat. Good luck, and happy camping.

JJ

5. 4U2NV

4U2NV Back from the darkside!

Let me see if I understand your comminucations correct on spelling/grammer.. Is it lite or lit?

6. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Don't know a dern thing about the heater, but this did make me chuckle.... [:D]

7. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

That's funny stuff right there. I don't care who you are. Especially since the forum software's spell check underlined
    'communications' and 'grammar'. ROTFLMAO !!! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

Here in redneck country, they call this "the pot calling the kettle black".

8. themanfromvan

Okay. Now that I've regained my composure......

ARE you sure there isn't a switch on the thermostat that provides power to an electronic ignition on your furnace? The only appliance I've ever seen with a standing pilot is the refrigerator.

BTW, I did a Google search to make sure I spelled the name of the above said appliance correctly. I wouldn't want anyone to be confused here. [LOL] [LOL]

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I find it hard to believe you go outside to light the pilot.

If the furnace has a pilot, there should be a gas valve with manual control - pilot/on. I'd suggest you take the front grill off the furnace and look.

10. riverwalker

riverwalker New Member

I been tinkering around with some old and newer furances and they are basically the same with the exception of some small differences in lighting them and setting the temp. Before I would switch anything though i would find out how exactly the newer one worked as most are much easier to use and can run themselves once started. it isn't only making sure they are the same size but also in the same btu range and that the space from the sides top and bottom have the at least the min amount of space /clearance from the walls when mounting them.

If you could find a model # you more then likely could find a manual for it online. You may even try youtube for a vid of the operation of it or a similar unit.

PS- As lnog as msot of the lettres are corrcet adn the fisrt lettre is rihgt threr still undersotod :)

11. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

Access to my Fleetwood Niagara's water heater is on the outside of the PUP.

When opening the propane tank valve, do so very slowly so as not to trigger the tanks safety feature and restrict propane flow.

Light a stove burner and boil a pan of water for a few minutes to purge the air from the propane lines.

At your water heater....
    Make sure you have water in your water heater.....gently lift the P&T valve on top of your water heater - if it spits out water, you have water in your tank.

At the water heater, turn the knob to "Pilot", push it down, hold it, insert your lighter in the cramped space to the lower right (where there are two skinny lines running into the unit), and you should see ignition of the pilot light.....KEEP HOLDING THE PILOT KNOB DOWN so the thermocouple can heat (maybe another minute or so), release the knob and if the pilot stays lit, turn it to "on" and you should have a whoosh of ignition and the water will begin to heat (takes about 15 minutes initially).

12. Stiiinatent

Stiiinatent seasond camper now with 2 cubs

Ouch! This made me smile :)

13. themanfromvan

ROTFLMAO !!!! Oh, man...... this is better than "Who's Line Is It Anyway?" [LOL] [LOL]

If you really want to see some excellent spelling and grammar, go take a look at the message boards on NASCAR.com

It's no wonder race attendance is so low. Half of those people are still trying to figure our why their Garmin's won't take "Shecago". [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

14. HYDETHERAT

HYDETHERAT Member

ill take pictures of what i am talking about and post them on this later this evening

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

LMAO, ok gotta ask... why would a redneck need to fill out a change of address form at the Post Office?????
    . Cause the wheel chock got pulled out and the trailer rolled fifteen feet down the hill. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

16. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

LMAO at this entire thread.

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

It is funny (the thread that is) but hopefully we can help out HYDETHERAT with his/her heater problems once some pictures are posted..

18. HYDETHERAT

HYDETHERAT Member

[​IMG]

this is what i was told i had to f*** with and i have no idea how to

19. HYDETHERAT

HYDETHERAT Member

this is the diagram on the bottom in the compartment
    [​IMG]
    yes i know this thing needs a good cleaning

20. rabird

rabird Howdy!