Old type ice box

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by scootit, May 18, 2016.

1. scootit

scootit New Member

Feb 16, 2016
    I am looking for information regarding the old type ice boxes found in my pup. I have never used it. It has one bottom shelf where an ice block can be placed. A drain hole is located in that plastic shelf. This ice box has one shelf. Does anyone use one of these???? I am thinking of giving it a try. I hope to place eggs, cheese, corn on the cob, lettuce. The type of things that you don't want sunk in the ice of a cooler. If you use it how long does it take to even get cold? Does it stay cold? Do they leak out the door when the ice melts?
    We dry camp. No power, no battery, no propane.
    Right now the ice box is used for storage. Should I keep it as storage?

2. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    I had one in my last PUP and while I used it, it was far from efficient. I would usually fill it with ice the day before I was leaving and make sure whatever you put into it is already cold, then add more ice before heading out. Attached to the drain hole should be a short hose that goes out through the bottom of the ice box and through the floor to drain out onto the ground. Be sure this hose is firmly attached and in good condition, otherwise you'll be draining onto the floor of your PUP, that happened to me once while I was at a campground, had to find a hardware store that had hose the same diameter and replaced it on site. Expect to add more ice every one to two days, at least that's what the one I had averaged. I found it convenient and for stuff I wasn't worried about spoiling like meat and such it did the job to keep it at a reasonable temp.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    My old popup had an icebox. However mine was worthless. I don't think there was any installation in it as ice melted the second you put it in and barly lasted an hour or two if that. I also found on mine the door didn't seal very well either unless we rubbed a little water on the gasket.i never had a problem of leaking on mine as the ice tray had good sides to prevent water from running where you didn't want it. perhap yours will be better made than mine, and for your sake I hope so. Or maybe you can try and wrap the interior with reflectix to help keep the cold in. I probably wouldn't trust milk in it, but it's worth a try.

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    My first popup - 94' Coleman Mesa had the build in ice chest. I took it out and used it to store my clothes. I used the 3 way fridge which worked fine . I bought a bigger electric fridge to store more food. I didn't dry camping. Now with my 3rd popup, I have a 2.6 fridge for food and I use the 3 way fridge for keeping water or drinks cold.

5. p

p Active Member

Jun 9, 2014
    We had one on a 78 Bonaire and it worked great. Stayed cooler...longer then an outside cooler.

The drain hose connecting the shelf to the outside frequently becomes disconnected. You just push it back on.

Freezing 2 big cardoard milk jugs full of water is also a cheap, good alternative. Solid blocks of ice stay cooler...longer.

6. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    I had one before and the only way it worked at all was with block ice. If I were to use one again I would freeze water in gallon jugs and set them on the second shelf, the bottom shelf might be good for veggies and cheese but I wouldn't trust it with meat or eggs.

Keep using it for storage and get a better cooler.

7. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

May 29, 2013
    We've used ours without too much problem, ours will keep a two night stay on a block of ice. Meat up there with the ice, a few eggs, condiments and such. Soda goes in a different cooler with ice cubes to keep the kiddies from opening the door too much. I suppose it depends on how well it's insulated and then what kind of condition the door seal is in. More than a couple days, we bring a modern cooler with ice packs. Much better.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Ours was in a 1984 Palomino and our cooler was much more efficient at keeping cold, even our older one - we have extra foam insulation (made from closed cell sleeping pads) and a Reflectix jacket. Add to that the facts that the icebox was not reachable except when the pup was open and that we often need a cooler int he TV and it was a no-brainer for us to change the space to storage.

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    absolutely

10. webhannet

webhannet Member

Feb 8, 2016
    Mine had a drained tray at the top (cold falls to the bottom) that held two blocks of ice. As others say, you need more BLOCK ice in a day or two. The secret is to keep the door shut - so things you want often, like soda, should go elsewhere.

Dry ice, wrapped in newspaper, can hold much longer, but it can freeze items nearby.

You can leave eggs out. I purchase PARMALAT (I think I'm off on the name) milk which needs no refirgeration at all and comes in rectagular boxes which store easily. The expiration on this milk is VERY long, so it can stay in the trailer as back-up supplies. Pudding packs don't need to be cold. There are lots of ways to save you cooled space.

11. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    When I purchased my pop up this past August 2017, It did not come with any type of refrigeration. However on the door specification vehicle CSA label that shows all the pertinent info, including what is in the trailer; it said there was a Wrico IB1820 Icebox. I have no clue where this icebox would have been installed as there is no opening where it might have been? It baffles me completely. Is anyone familiar or had a 1995 Viking 1755SD XL pop up camper with one of these Iceboxes and where they might have had it installed? Right now there are cupboard doors covering any openings and they look original. I can find a replacement one from a company called Formco Inc. Same model, but not sure how much these are so sent a msg to find out.

Sometimes I wish I could find the original spec drawing on this Pup so I could see where things really where back then. The Manual tells me nothing as it is sort of generic and covers a few pups of that year basically.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  12. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    I had one in an 80s model slide in camper and it wasn't very useful. Like said above, frozen gallon jugs or cartons on the top shelf might get you through a weekend as long as the door wasn't opened much. I wouldn't trust it for more than fresh veggies. Most people that I knew that had them just used them as a pantry and used a regular horizontal cooler for stuff that needed to stay cold. I replaced mine with a Dometic 3 way fridge.

Earthfairies likes this.
  13. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    Here is what it looked like, basically a cooler stood on end..... https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Ice-Box-p/vts-810.htm

Earthfairies likes this.
  14. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    My sailboats had this in one form or another over the years.

They're seldom as well insulated as a good 7-day cooler. But they have the advantage of never having to be picked up and carried. ...along with the disadvantage of being "on board", which for a PUP means you cannot fill it with stuff while the trailer is closed up.

On my boats I got in the habit of not using them because they were inconvenient and inefficient. Usually I just kept them stocked with cleaning supplies or non-perishable foods.

Earthfairies likes this.
  15. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Thanks everyone for your help. I have a moobie cooler right now that I can plug into my SUV while traveling and then plug it into the camper whilst in it for the week or night etc. However I find this cooler is really loud when running. Not sure if I will get much sleep when it is running. LOL

16. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    Keep it in the TV with an extension cord out the window whenever possible.

Earthfairies likes this.
  17. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Had an icebox in the ancient Red Dale trailer. Not well insulated from factory, so we glued on pieces of white beadboard at every accessible spot. Gathered a collection of squarish plastic bottles to freeze and use instead of loose ice, so no water drainage problem.

Today's better insulated free standing coolers work so much better I would use one of those and use the icebox for storage. And use the frozen bottles instead of loose ice.

Earthfairies likes this.