? on Curtains--does blackout fabric insulate at all?

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by lkc, Mar 26, 2018.

1. lkc

lkc Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Hello all--Has anyone used blackout fabric for curtains? I finally found some reasonably priced blackout curtains that are the color I was looking for---several of the curtains in my NTM popup were missing as well as the entire valance--so new window coverings are on the agenda.

Does the blackout fabric have any insulating factor? It is not called "thermal"--just blackout fabric. We do early spring camping so keeping in the heat is important.

I don't want to spend the $ that Joanne's wants for their outdoor fabric and have not been able to find enough in stock of a color or pattern in any retail store to cover all the windows.

For anyone that might be interested I found these in a "Brylane Home" catalog. They also have "thermal" curtains but not in the color/patterns I was wanting. They also come in several different lengths and I think I can cut a panel in half horizontally and get two panels from each panel I order--then just have to hem. This catalog has a really good selection of colors to choose from also. I have purchased comforters for beds at home and found their quality comparable to other retail stores.

2. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    I did the same thing with some blackout curtains I got inexpensively at JCPenney. I would say they have a small amount of insulation value. I also bought some pretty patterned indoor/outdoor fabric from Joann to make the valance. The curtains are just solid tan, so the valance is nice to add some interest!

3. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I was reading reviews on blackout/insulating curtains on Amazon, and a lot of people said there was a bad odor, the foam backing came apart in the wash or it crumbled.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The blackout curtains are a bit thicker than some and do seem to add some insulation value.
    The ones we've had in recent years do not have a foam component.
    I made new curtains for our popup, and used blackout lining from JoAnn (bought on sale or with a coupon). It has one side that seems a little rubbery, and they were interesting to sew. They did, however, more insulating value than I expected.
    We've bought some of the blackout panels for the TT. We've had a couple from Target (first one thrown out when it got exposed to shattered glass). It has some insulating, we use it over the door, mostly for light if we're in a site where light through that window is an issue, but the extra insulation is nice.

5. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    We tried the cutting in half horizontally and wished we had just bought the shorter lengths and bought more panels. I didn't account for the difference in hems on the backside when considering length. The original panel may have a 3" hem. When I cut it in half, I couldn't duplicate the hem in the second panel without ripping out the original hem to get the same hem length.

Hope that makes sense. I guess what I'm trying to say is order a bit longer than you think if you're going to cut them in half. : )

We used blackout curtains from Walmart. They do add a little insulation value. They definitely help on those sweltering hot days.

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

If it cheap enuff double them up for double the R factor.