One pan meals

Discussion in 'Healthy Outdoor Cooking' started by Tacoma_Jim, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oregon
    I go camping to hike, fish, site-see and relax. Not spend my time slaving over the stove like at home. So, I pretty much keep my meals to one pan or pot. One of our favorites is chicken fajitas. I have everything pre-cut at home and just have to cook it. We found a fajita flavor pack by McCormicks that has all the different spices and we leave out the salt. With the low carb tortillas, it comes out fairly healthy.

What are some of your favorite one pan meals?

2. blondedriver

blondedriver Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I love the " Bear creek Chilli " I normally cook the protein in the pan first then make the chilli onto of the meat ,, normally for me Chicken

easy and alot of times cooked in the motel room in my electric frying pan. I do add extra Chilli powdre to it and tend to cook it longer than the packet says as I don't like the harder texture to the beans.

3. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    Mmmm, camp fajitas sounds wonderful. I'm going to do that next time I go out. Costco sells pre-cooked chicken strips that would work really well. I agree about not wanting to slave in the cook area when I camp. It makes me feel like I'm the servant while my kids and husband sit back, relax and play. We just go for the simple, self-serve fare...hot dogs on roasting forks, s'mores for dessert, instant oatmeal for breakfast. We do cook up eggs and hashbrowns some mornings. I buy the dehydrated hashbrowns in small milk carton like boxes and you just add hot water from the kettle, let sit for 5 minutes, then spread out the grill pan. So good!

4. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Might have to try that chicken fajitas.

One-pan breakfast: sausage and egg scramble. Cut up the sausages into bite sized pieces and sautee for a couple minutes first before adding the eggs and scrambling. Also works well if you add diced bell peppers for variety.

One-pan (or, in this case pot) dinner: Jambalaya. Easy enough to carry pre-cooked, pre-cut Andouille sausage. Toss it in with a box of Zatarain's. Good stuff. Sometimes a bit spicy for the kids though.

The favorite "two-pan" dinner is barely two pan... one of them is just boiling water for the pasta. Take a package of Flavor-Pac stir-fry veggies, chop up some apple chicken sausage and sautee while the pasta is cooking. A hint of citrus on the pasta, which serves as a bed for the stir fry... easy, light, delicious.

5. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

Dec 4, 2007
    California Coast
    I like to prep everything for stir-fry at home so I can just throw it in the pan. Lots of veggies, green onions, ginger and garlic, some low-sodium soy, maybe a little orange juice or lime juice with honey. Sometimes we add strips of meat, sometimes not. And I pre-cook brown rice at home, so we just add it to the stir-fry, to keep it to one pan.

6. opie232

opie232 Member

Mar 1, 2013
    We dont really do a one pan meal more like a meal in a pouch. Ground beef with meatloaf seasoning and assorted veggies. We wrap these in individual aluminum foil pouches. Throw them on the fire till done.really simple and quick.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

7. fb5

fb5 New Member

Dec 25, 2013
  8. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Nov 8, 2009
  9. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    One pot meals have been a challenge for me. Beyond chili, which is the most perfect, if not the original, one pot meal, I have been less than successful at preparing good tasting one pot meals. They start out good but do not reheat so well. Accordingly, I try better organization and prep to make a quick and fresh meal. Still, hoping to come up with more.

10. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Throughout the year, we make up big batches of beef stew and pressure can it. This is our go to meal when arriving at a campsite. We control what is in it, unlike canned beef stew. The only problem is having to carry the jar home with us.

11. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oregon
    Do you bring a wok or just use a fry pan?

12. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Our stir-fry dish is similar, and we do it in a $3 pan I picked up from goodwill. Aluminum pan with a copper bottom. Like the ones my parents had in the 80's. Heats well, durable, and pretty easy to clean up.

13. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

Dec 4, 2007
    California Coast
    I use a nice big high-sided frying pan that lives in the pup.

14. iceman

iceman New Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Not really a meal but I'm doing a crockpot chicken noodle soup overnight tomorrow while at church camp here in gatlinburg! Throw cut up chicken with knorr chicken base and water and let cook overnight then throw in carrots celery and onions and noodles an hour before serving!

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We take homemade chili, sloppy joes, and soup, frozen, so all we have to do is re-heat. On some trips, we take pre-cooked brats, buy frozen stir-fry veggies, and cook it all up in a small saute pan. We do rice as a side dish, so not exactly one-pan. With pre-cooked rice (Trader Joe's, or Uncle Ben's jasmine or basmati), ot the cook in bag basmati and jasmine, it isn't difficult, though.

16. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

May 23, 2008
    SE Wisconsin
    We have a few DO recipes like chili, chicken and rice, breakfast bake... most preparing of food is at home.

We also do a lot of aluminum bags in the coals.

17. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I like the suggestion of that Zataran's jambalaya. I haven't made that for awhile, and haven't done it camping. I'll put that on my list for next camping season.

Last summer, I posted a recipe for Low Country Boil. Boiled red potatoes, corn on the cob, kielbasa sausage and shrimp.

The summer before that I made a chicken rice dish, by browning chicken breasts, then cooking them in the mixture to prepare Uncle Ben's wild & white rice mixture.

I'm always on the lookout for new recipes. Of all the challenges in everyday life, the hardest dilema is "What's for dinner".

18. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

Feb 18, 2008
    We have a number of them.

1. Fahita as already listed.

2. From another thread on the portal we got a recipe and had to mod it to our smaller family size and my diabetic restrictions on carbohydrates.
    -saute some onions and diced keilbasa [we do bite sized instead of diced]
    -add a can of potatoes or a can of corn [original used 3-4 potatoes and 1 of corn]
    - add a can [or less] diced tomatoes [original recipe was for 2]
    - garlic pepper and italian seasoning.
    - simmer for 10-30 minutes.

3. Breakfast Burritos [got this from the Coleman site and we do it for b'fast or dinner depending on mood.]
    - flour tortillas
    - butter or oil
    - browned sausage or brats
    - shreaded potatoes
    - fish coating mix
    - eggs [two per person]
    - onions and green peppers

When the sausage is about browned add a little oil, seasonings, onions, peppers, and the potatoes. A little before the potatoes are done scramble the eggs and add them to the mix. Serve on warmed tortillas and roll them up. Depending on our desire for carbs, we have been known to leave out the potatoes, or serve them without the tortillas as a 'skillet scramble'.

4. Pita pizza.
    -pita bread
    -mozzarella cheese
    -pizza sauce
    -spices
    -toppings [e.g. pepperoni, onions, mushrooms, canadian bacon, etc]

using the pita as a crust, each person can build their pizza as desired, put it on the campfire under a tent of aluminum foil, or skillet with a lid on the stove, or if you have one, put it in the oven at high temp until the cheese is melted and the sauce is hot.

5. Quesadillas
    - pre grilled chicken
    - flour tortillas
    - monterey jack cheese
    - green onions
    - salsa
    - green pepper

From the list of ingredients above each person builds their Quesadilla. What I do next is put a quesadilla on a cast iron skillet sprayed with Pam or equiv. I put a cover on the skillet and brown one side, flip it an brown the other. If you don't want to make a mess, put the salsa on the table and have folks add it after it is cooked.

19. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oregon
    I was just thinking about the pizza idea the other day. The crust was my hold up. The pita is an awesome idea and I can get whole wheat ones. I was thinking about putting them on the BBQ, so I think this will be one for our next trip.

20. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Aug 5, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    We use pie irons for pizza. Biscuit dough, sauce cheese, pepperoni or left over brats and another half of dough -- more like a Calzone