Ontario Provincial Parks you've camped at

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by ALICAM, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish New Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Updated;
    Killarney
    French River
    Killbear
    Arrowhead
    Bon Echo
    Pinery
    Awenda
    6 Mile lake
    Bonnechere
    Halfway Lake

2. Stak

Stak New Member

Jun 14, 2016
    In a tent in the past....
    Pinery Provincial Park (Dunes, Burley and Riverside), X 6 (annual vacation trip)
    Algonquin (Lake of Two Rivers)

This year in our new Pup...
    Pinery Provincial Park (Dunes)
    Algonquin (Rock Lake)....upcoming

Really disappointed with the whole reservation system, but with the Pup hopefully the camping season is extended now [;)]

3. ccptbo

ccptbo Active Member

Thanks for the review of Bass and Oastler!

4. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

Mar 16, 2016
    Yes, it was over the August long weekend. I'm not typically a tight a$$ over things like that, but having a large crowd less than 30ft from my trailer making noise until late (past midnight) is a bit annoying. If it's a small gathering hanging out by campfire all night chatting away then no problem. But once you get a large number of people everyone wants to be heard, so by default you will be loud even if you try to be quiet :)

I'm heading up to Saugeen Bluffs conservation area (by lake Huron) Labour Day weekend, never been there before. I will post a review once I get back!

5. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

Mar 16, 2016
    As promised... Here's a quick summary of Saugeen Bluffs Conservation Area.

It's located on Saugeen River, between Paisly and Port Elgin, Ontario. There is a good number of electric sites and also unserviced sites available, if I recall correctly about 200 in total. Serviced sites include electricity and water hook up, no sewer. They do have the portable tanks available (not sure if you need to pay to use them) if you're staying longer and need to empty your tanks. There is a small store available in the park which carries bare necessities or you can drive 10 minutes into town if needed. There is no cell phone service in the park, you need to drive out to the gate to get a signal. This is both a pain in the butt and also a blessing as it does allow you to fully unplug.

There is a good size playground for the kids and they have a small wading pool - maybe 15ft in diameter. There are horseshoes and some other activities, quite good to keep the kids busy.

Unfortunately, if you're looking to swim, you will be disappointed. Although the river is great for canoeing or kayaking, it is very rocky and quite shallow making anything beyond dipping your feet in impossible. If you want beach and swimming then Port Elgin on lake Huron is about 15-20min away.

Personally, I found the sites a little too cramped and close together, and with that many people come foot and car traffic, it just gets busy, too busy for my liking. I like to go camping to get away from people, this trip felt more like a tailgate party :) But to each their own.
    The unserviced sites were much more private and quiet as they're tucked away in more treed area.

Although it was not horrible, it was not great either, I don't think I will be returning here anytime soon.

I have one more trip planned for this year to Killbear PP, now that I am very excited about! [8D]

6. Jonnieb

Jonnieb New Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    Algonquin (Rock Lake, Two Rivers, Pog, Kearney, Canisbay, Tea, Mew), Sandbanks, Grundy, Killbear, Arrowhead, Balsam,

7. Garland

Garland New Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Almonte ON
    Here is my list, along with highlights, good or bad.
    Agonquin - Achray, mud lake. Scouting camp, late June, NO TENTS! Mosquito hell.
    Bon Echo - loved the cliffs.
    Lake St. Peter - Small, tranquil.
    Murphy's Point - A field covered in fireflies.
    Bonnechere - meh
    Charleston Lake - gorgeous in September.
    Driftwood - Just this weekend. Nice.