Opinions on new TV

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by generok, Jan 6, 2019.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    This time, I mean television! [LOL]

The TV in my TT is nice and all, but it is a standard household TV, 120VAC. The hole in the console lends itself to a 32" screen.

I want to go to a 12V unit so I can run off the battery/solar without running the generator the whole time when we camp without hookups.

I'm looking around and basically can find two:

1. Jensen 41604 (Amazon Link)
    2. Free Signal Transit (Amazon Link)

Does anyone have any experience with either of these 12V units, or know of another 12V 32" TV out there?[?:~{]

2. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Many residential televisions are in fact 12vdc. Cut the power brick and wire directly to 12vdc. Just look at the specs on the brick.

Another option is a small inverter, 200 to 300 watt should be plenty.

I applaud your desire to do this, running a generator to watch television is crazy.

Right at this moment I am in my RV watching Netflix on my television using a Firestick while surfing the net - all while using only battery power.

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I've seen that many 120VAC units run internally on 12VDC and wondered if I could do just that. It might be worth looking at and popping one of the cheap units open for a look see.

Thanks!

Gene

4. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    True, but unfortunately more TVs seem to be doing away brick and integrating it into the innards of the TV, so you can't just swap cords. It used to be easier.

Regarding the OP, no experience with those models, but have had good luck with the Jensens I have had.

5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    why settle for 32? try 100" :grin:[Guitar][%]