Our 1985 Bunkhouse Camper (MicroPUP)!

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by TinyCamperPro, Jan 3, 2019.

1. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro New Member

Dec 27, 2018
    Just wanted to show off our Vintage Bunkhouse Camper. It's a shame that Bunkhouse went out of business a couple weeks ago because they make a pretty cool camper.

I think what we enjoy most about our camper was upgrading from a tent. There's such minimal setup at the campground and we can have a nice site setup in about a half an hour.

We tow with our 1998 Jeep Cherokee (Which basically feels like nothings behind it)

We purchased it with two failed/bent axles and chaffed wheels. So two new flexiride axles were installed from Eastern Marine along with new wheels. We cleaned the canvas and did some weatherproofing. From here we've added a 10 gallon tank with a sink in the front tongue box, along with a small 35AH battery with a flexible solar panel for lights and keeping phones and electronics charged. We also extended the tongue to accommodate the tongue box as well.

IMG_1051.JPG IMG_1071.JPG
    IMG_20180927_181453078.jpg IMG_20181013_125447593_HDR.jpg

We completed 6 trips last year with only some minor problems and have learned quite a bit.

Got some projects planned for the winter as well including a brand new custom made tongue box with a sliding shelf, sink, and storage area. Will have to share when more progress is made!

hq308 and PopUpSteve like this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Cool looking little rig. Hope the future projects work out ok.

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Cool looking setup! Thanks for sharing the pics!

4. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro New Member

Dec 27, 2018
    Thanks guys, I'll be sure to share the projects with you.

Currently looking to make a foldable back rest for sitting up in our camper to read or watch movies. I've started work on gathering a tongue box together to. Looking to really expand the storage and cooking capabilities on this little rig but looking for a way to measure the axle weight on this camper just to make sure I don't exceed it.

Have also given some thought into adapting the Aspen camper canvas to fit my rig.

https://www.aspenqualitytrailers.com/

The cost is about 1350 to replace the canvas and cross bars and would help add some space. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but maybe...

5. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    Nice looking camper!

6. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Great little boondocking rig.

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Nice!

8. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    nice

9. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro New Member

Dec 27, 2018
    Thanks for all the positive feedback! Not sure if maybe I should start a new thread in the project section but I've started on my tongue box kitchen. If this is not the place please let me know! I can start a new thread in the projects section.

IMG_20190113_165811662.jpg

I started with a 2x2 frame wood glued and screwed together. The RV door was surplus on ebay as well. Really working to keep the weight down. I will use FRP glued to the frame as the covering to keep the overall weight down and provide its skin. My goal was to only make this slightly heavier than the tongue box already on the trailer. The top "countertop" will be finished in an oiled wood and will fit both the sink and my coleman grille when the cover is closed and latched. The biggest foreseeable problem I see is keeping it semi water tight on the top cover but I have a few ideas on how this could be accomplished.

neighbormike likes this.