Our Unrestored 1979 Starcraft Starmaster 6

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by Nicole721, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Nicole721

Nicole721 New Member

Feb 5, 2018
    As I posted in the "intro" thread, this camper was the one DH grew up camping in. His parents bought it new and it's garaged year round. Last summer, they gave it to us. I want to redo the inside to be a little more modern, but DH wants to keep the retro look. IMG_4647.jpg IMG_5648.jpg IMG_5654.jpg IMG_5649.jpg IMG_5652.jpg IMG_5650.jpg IMG_5651.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Michelle High likes this.
  2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Very nice!

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Sweet It looks like it was never used. Myself I would not change a thing. I go with the DONT FIX WHAT AINT BROKEN mantra.

Orchid, momofEAP and PointyCamper like this.
  4. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Looks amazing!

5. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Very nice. You can tell that it was stored inside that thing is in breat shape.

6. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Keep it original! But you gotta make it yours... I'd still be a friend if you painted and put a new floor in it.

7. jorgewolfe

jorgewolfe Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Sparks Nevada
    Nice! We have a '78 almost identical (yours looks a little cleaner though) Can't wait to see how it turns out even though it doesn't need a whole lot of restoring

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Very nice

9. pasobuff

pasobuff Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Upstate NY
    New fabric, some paint and it will look like a whole 'new' camper! Looks great as is too.....

10. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Very nice, obviously has been well cared for...I'm in the "leave it as-is" group....grab some throw pillows etc. to make it more yours...lol

Orchid and PointyCamper like this.
  11. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Cherry. Don't do anything

Orchid likes this.
  12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    It's great looking, but do whatever you like to make it yours. For instance, after 39 years, the foam in the cushions may no longer be comfortable - why live with that, just because it's original? If the foam is OK, but you want to cover the fabric, slipcovers would work. (Our first popup had the same type of fabric - that stuff was not the most comfortable, particularly in hot weather.)

myride likes this.
  13. tamnror

tamnror Member

Jan 31, 2017
    That looks fantastic!

14. Nicole721

Nicole721 New Member

Feb 5, 2018
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to accept it and leave it as is. My husband said it's so old that he likes how it is (most be memorable of his childhood). He said he'd feel different if it was not in good condition. Surprisingly the beds and seats still feel pretty firm. I only slept in it 3 nights last summer so maybe when we get it out longer I'll feel different, but i could always just put in new mattresses.

Gotta say, this forum she has me excited to get it out this summer (live in WI so not able to start camping now). But we just have one trip planned and it's only Sun - Thurs as that is all the State Park we wanted to get into had this year. We were a little late in the game and thought the reservations were Jan 1st when they are 11 mos. in advance.

79venture, grumper, Orchid and 2 others like this.
  15. HC1

HC1 New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Great camper :) It is in such pristine condition I would leave it as is also.

16. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

Feb 6, 2018
    I agree with leaving as is. That thing is in really good shape and the originality of it in my opinion is what makes it pretty special.

PointyCamper likes this.
  17. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I'm sentimental about things too. It will probably take your husband a while to think of the camper as "his" and not his parents. As time goes by, he'll probably make changes. The cushions in my camper seem to be in good condition, but I haven't removed the covers yet. "Good condition" and comfortable are two different things, so I'm gonna add a new foam on the top and hopefully it will be comfortable then.

18. Stang65fst

Stang65fst Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Iron Station, NC
    Looks great, my vote is leave it as is.

19. rich2

rich2 Active Member

May 3, 2007
    Northampton, PA
    Leave as is...vintage campers should be left vintage...

20. Limmer

Limmer Member

Mar 12, 2018
    You could compromise. The cupboards look amazing and while the floor leaves a little to be desired I would just recover the cushions. Still go with a retro style palette but something new and fresh. Get some cool retro accessories. Then everybody is happy.

Sotovoce likes this.