Outside shower cold water knob broken

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by brich208, May 22, 2019.

1. brich208

brich208 Member

[​IMG]

Every time I would turn on our power our water pump would run constantly. I'm now pretty certain it's because our outside cold water knob is broken. Before I buy a replacement does anyone have any experience fixing this? When I try to screw it back on I can get it threaded but then it will never stop turning off or on. I can get it back off by lightly putting it and unscrewing it again. Screw it back on and it never "catches" and I Can turn it to the right as long as I want.

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

You just need to buy a whole new unit. They sell for between 15-35 dollars on eBay. That way you’re addressing the whole faucet.

PopUpSteve, brich208 and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. brich208

brich208 Member

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Remove the hot water knob and see what that faucet looks like. The cold water faucet looks to be pushed into the housing some. Maybe too far in for the threads to catch.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

brich208 likes this.
  6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

brich208 likes this.
  7. brich208

brich208 Member

8. brich208

brich208 Member

TBH, I'm not sure how to get the hot water side off. It seems they're not really designed to be taken apart (or at least I'm too scared to break the hot side also).

9. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

The chrome piece that says H should pop out with a little screwdriver. Under that, you'll see a screw. Remove that. Pull the handle off. There should be a nut holding the valve cartridge in place. Remove that, and the hot side will look just like the cold side in your picture.

If you can access the back side of that assembly where the water lines connect, disconnect the water lines, then remove the nuts holding the valve assembly in place. If you can't access the back side, you might have to pull the housing out.

brich208 likes this.
  10. brich208

brich208 Member

Many, many thanks!! So just for shiggles I took the whole thing apart and it appears the cold water handle just did "pop off" somehow. I reassembled it to match the hot side and hooked everything back up and it appears through test #1 that it's fixed!

IMG_5397.jpg

I've got the replacement in my Amazon cart just in case it fails again though before our trip.

Sjm9911, WrkrBee and eoleson1 like this.
  11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

The way I see it, it is broke anyway. I can't do to much more damage but trying to take it apart. YouTube it first. Lay parts in a row in the order they come off or out. Try not to damage seals or o-rings. Be careful of flying springs and small detent balls that roll (take things apart slowly). A magnet is your friend if you lose something metal.

Sjm9911 and brich208 like this.