Outside Shower Connections

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by truckinusa, Aug 14, 2018.

1. truckinusa

truckinusa New Member

Aug 12, 2018
    If your PUP is equipped with outside shower head/faucet is that something you can use at most campgrounds? I assume the water just goes on the ground.

2. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Most campgrounds forbid grey water discharge onto the ground which would include using the shower to bathe. I think it is ok to use to rinse dirt off but check with your local campground.

I put a quick connect on mine so I could run a hose under the camper to my camp kitchen sink. I have a 7 gal aquatainer set up as a drain.

Orchid likes this.
  3. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Yup check the campground rules. That’s why most of us carry some form of portable gray water tank. I seen folks go so far as to use one of those concrete mixer tubs as the basin by connecting plumbing fixtures to the bottom. Seems like a lot of work and stuff to carry when the camp shower is never too far away, lol

Orchid, nineoaks2004 and kitphantom like this.
  4. truckinusa

truckinusa New Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I figured there was some type of basin people used. I never considered it, but it might be useful for just rinsing off sand and dirt if that is even allowed.

5. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Yup something like this works;

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Scepter-Drywall-Mud-Pans/1000195409

I actually had one included with my pup. It looks like the PO has aspirations to build one inside. Having looked at the room it takes and the addition of an onboard grey water tank I didn’t see the value. We do use an outside shower tent for the pottie and that’s handy for the DW. The shower I’m not sure of even though our hot water tank already has extra plumbing to tie into it.

6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I have one and never used it!

jnc likes this.
  7. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Jun 18, 2013
    central Oregon
    We mostly camp in dispersed sites (aka boondock) or in primitive campgrounds with vault toilets. In dispersed sites, letting the water run on the ground is usually not a problem. If we are concerned about gray water, we attach a floor to the shower tent to capture the water or direct the flow.

I made the floor out of coated cordura (heavy nylon) fabric and added handles and a bulkhead fitting to attach a gray water hose in one corner. The floor attaches to the tent with Velcro.

8. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I've used the one on my slidein camper which is small and doesn't have an interior bathroom. We have a nice shower tent and catch the water and deal with it appropriately so as to not make mud. Sometimes it's easier to wash up inside with warm water and a washcloth and then just do the hair with the outside shower, a portable table, and a dishpan. With the pup interior shower (but small fresh and gray tank) I can do that inside!

Once I used it to rinse barf off a kid at the side of the road. :)

I guess some campgrounds have showers. Some even have hookups.

9. poppy65

poppy65 New Member

May 10, 2015
    I know this a really old post but I thought I would give a shot. Do you photos of your shower set up that would share?

10. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Jun 18, 2013
    central Oregon
    After looking through a bunch of files, I've determined that I don't have any photos of the shower tent. Give me a few days and I'll remedy that.

11. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Might be like the one in the corner of these pics?
    FABD8A80-91C0-4A83-9CB7-1E6C9DB7204D.jpeg 36664E50-ED5E-4AD3-B69D-75B0E3083C56.jpeg

12. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Jun 18, 2013
    central Oregon
    shower tent.jpg shower tent floor.jpg shower tent 2.jpg shower tent acc.jpg very similar to emoney's shower tent...

Ours originally had that plastic tarp material as a cover, but I replaced it with nylon supplex (packs more compactly and dries quicker). I also added the arched window which goes towards the popup to access the shower controls. It's pretty easy to sew a zipper onto an existing tent by placing the zipper tab side down on the outside of the tent, then sewing two closely spaced seams on each side of the zipper teeth and around the ends. Then go to the inside of the tent and carefully cut between the stitching.

The floor is made of wide material, so no seams. The corners are folded, then stitched only at the top edge. The bulkhead fitting goes into one corner. I glued a thin piece of plastic (if I recall, it was a stiffener from a package of bacon) onto the inside of the fabric and cut the hole through that for the fitting. My fitting is brass, because that's all Home Depot had on hand, but a nylon/plastic one would work fine. I put Velcro strips around the top of the floor to attach to the tent. The floor won't fit the same out in the woods on uneven ground as on a nice level floor in the house, so there's a lot of Velcro to allow adjustments. Having the floor in place has the added benefit of reducing the breeze coming into the shower tent in cooler weather.
    A few accessories: A hanging bag thing to hold the soap and shampoo. A foam pad to go under the floor (reduces possibility of puncturing floor....and hey, it's a shower in the woods, so this is glamping!). A on/off valve to attach to the bulkhead fitting for those time that you want to turn off the drain.[​IMG]