Outside shower drain--why on awning side?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by The_Admiral, Oct 8, 2017.

1. The_Admiral

The_Admiral New Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Hello Pup owners!
    First post here, been a pup owner for 3 years, just sold my 2000 coleman Westlake (had shower/toilet) and purchased a 2017 Rockwood 232esp with shower/toilet.

So, this leads me to the question--all my other hookups are on the backside of the camper, so why on earth does the shower drain come off the front (awning side)? Sure I can get a small tank and drain it, but I'm tempted to modify the drain externally and add a 6 foot 1.5" pipe off the back side to empty the shower.

Thanks!

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    I re-routed my drain to the other side of the camper. I did not care for the grey tote tank under the awning. It took more than 6 feet of pipe though and added a 3 inch drain camp for if we ever have full hook ups.

3. The_Admiral

The_Admiral New Member

Oct 8, 2017
    That's kinda been my thoughts too. I just don't understand why it's awning side. I like your 3" drain idea.

4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Here is what I used to make 3 inch drain and cap.
    3 in. x 1-1/2 in. PVC DWV Reducing Coupling
    Valterra RV Sewer Termination Adapter - 3" Lug Fitting to 3" Spigot Item # T1029-1
    VALTERRA WASTE VALVE TERMINATION CAP 3" T1020
    Good Luck!

5. The_Admiral

The_Admiral New Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Any chance you can post a pic of what you did?

6. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Maybe this will show what you are asking

Attached Files:

7. The_Admiral

The_Admiral New Member

Oct 8, 2017
    That's perfect. Thanks! Nice job.

8. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    My guess is that the shower is on that side of the drain.

9. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    cheaper for the mfg. to have a short drain. they take every short cut possible. no reason you cant modify it. i have the same problem with mine because of the way it's placed in the floor plan the black water tank comes out to the inside of the pup, instead of modifying to an outside door. [CC]

10. The_Admiral

The_Admiral New Member

Oct 8, 2017
    oh yes, i completely agree...the almighty $ is their bottom line.

11. The_Admiral

The_Admiral New Member

Oct 8, 2017
    By the way, how did you use join the typical ABS black to white pvc? Somewhere I read that there is only one cement when gluing PVC (white plastic pipe) to ABS (black plastic pipe)--Transition Cement by Oatley.

12. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Where the pee trap attaches to shower drain tube I used a slip nut and washer to the new 1 1/2 inch drain line that runs in front of axle to the left side of camper and added the connections to make the 3 inch connector and cap, pipe is held in to place by using galvanized straps one on each side of camper using 5/8 galvanized screws. The left side the pipe is about 1 inch lower than the right side for proper draining of water. I used threaded elbow with male adapter on the main pipe in case I need to remove drain pipe down the road instead of having to cut up the pipe. Looking at your model of camper the drain pipe will be on the back side of axle. Good luck if you decide on this.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    You may be starting to realize, RVs are built to be sold, not built to be used. The majority of RV manufacturer employees are not campers. Many CEOs of those companies have never spend a single night in an RV.

They put the emphasis on the bling that gets units sold because you won't notice the bad design or poor construction until too late.

The_Admiral and sierrapup like this.
  14. FLJeepChick

FLJeepChick New Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Saint Augustine, FL
    I have the same issue with my 2018 Flagstaff SE, (sister company to Rockwood and almost identical inside). Is there a way to step down the 3" threaded pipe to connect to a hose and run it under the camper to the other side to drain with the sink grey water hose?

15. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My cassette potty and shower combo is mounted on the front door side of my off-road POPUP...

[​IMG]
    Google image

The cassette shower drain runs under the floor to the other side of the trailer and has a drain always open at that location...

You can't see this water line here in this photo but it is just in front under the hot water heater vents to the left of the waste water totes shown here capturing the sink waste water. There a total of three water drain points here to the ground. The one that is most visible is for the Fresh water Tank and two other drains are out of sight here with one being the Cassette Shower drain.

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  16. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    Valterra makes several different sewer adapters to fit any RV. You can buy on Amazon or E Trailer

The_Admiral likes this.
  17. The_Admiral

The_Admiral New Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Has anyone ever plumbed the sink Grey to the shower Grey?