Outside shower water tank size

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by Jason4x4, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 New Member

Apr 8, 2018
    I want to add a outside shower to my popup, with a tank mounted underneath the trailer. How big of a tank should I get? 4 people showering daily for 2-3 days.

2. hq308

hq308 New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    I'm not sure that's an easy question to answer with a definitive number because some people will use more water than others. If you work out how much water used per person for each shower, it'll be simple to work out. (water used per shower) x people x days + a bit extra for insurance. For example if it takes a gallon of water per person per shower, 1 x 4 x 3 = 12 + I'd think 3-4 gallons reserve so about 16 gallons. Not sure if a gallon of water would be enough for a shower especially if kids are involved (or worse teenagers) the reality might be closer to 2 or 3 gallons or more. I'd be curious how much water people that do have showers on their pop up use.

3. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    Welcome to the Portal from Michigan.
    If you put the year and model of your camper in the signature line we will be able to help with more specific information.
    If you do not currently have a shower in your pup perhaps your best route will be a Zodi (http://zodi.com/) or Coleman On Demand ($$$) or something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-HWD5-Triton-Heater/dp/B001J4AU2E?tag=top505-20. Then you don't have to deal with plumbing and pumps etc. You will still have to contain and dispose of the grey water but you could use even a 5 gal. bucket for the water source. Check the 'water, blue and grey' section of the Portal for threads on adding a shower to your unit.
    Good luck!

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    If I don't wash my hair and take a quick navy shower I can use about a Gallon and half, my little side kick would do better in a bath so she has time to play in it and not watching perfectly clean water be washed away. You will have to consider how you are going to collect the gray water as most camp locations don't want the dumping of gray water on your site. If your boon docking you are going to be limited on water and so everyone will have to have a crash course on water conservation as I really don't see an easy way to haul 20+ gallon water tank with you. THen you still need to worry about water for cooking/drinking. If I have limited water, Sponge baths can get you clean enough and you can share the basin of water with others. Just my 2 cents.

5. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 New Member

Apr 8, 2018
    hot shower isn't required, we are in AZ, just lloking to keep stench down if we go boondocking, outside temp water will be fine, and keep showers short. we will be camping in 70 deg weather.

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I would say get as big as a tank as you can get! That's a lot of showers for camping and as hq308 mentioned, if any of those are teenagers, one gallon a shower won't do it.

I used to use a Lance truck camper and I would have to budget two to three gallons per shower for the DW and kids. I was having to refill the fresh water and empty the gray water every three to four days. I believe that the Lance had a 33 gallon tank.