Packing syrup

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by tinkerpuppet, Jul 31, 2013.

1. tinkerpuppet

tinkerpuppet New Member

Jul 27, 2013
    How do you pack your syrup for camping? We always have pancakes at least once, but whenever I've tried to use a little container, it gets all sticky and invariably leaks. Sometimes I bring the whole bottle, but its just extra heavy and big, we definitely don't use that much. I've just never been able to find a good travel container for syrup.

2. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

Feb 21, 2011
    I use a reusable water bottle with a screw on top. We have a bunch of small ones for the kids that hold only about 6 oz. so they are the perfect size.

3. poohsta3

poohsta3 Poopup

Mar 15, 2013
    We buy the small bottle and just put it inside a ziplock baggie--
    just gotta remember to wipe of the cap before you put it back insid eor becomes sticky mess. lol

4. Jaybirdypb

Jaybirdypb New Member

Jul 29, 2012
    I have had the same problem as you, but I also have a problem will cooking oil. I used empty bottles of Kraft Mayo "easy squeeze" bottles and fill one up with oil, and one with syrup. I store them "upside down", which means the lid top is facing up, rather than down. I've had good luck so far...

5. Maggie Muffin

Maggie Muffin Member

May 20, 2013
    This is what we do as well for oil. Works great - not having to remove the cap means no mess! Should work great for syrup.

6. gzank6

gzank6 Member

Oct 6, 2010
    we like pancakes when camping too... we use a condiment bottle for ours. haven't had any problems with it making a mess.

7. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Sep 16, 2011
    Never been an issue with me. I just wipe the top off after we are finished. I put it in the food storage container when traveling as the other things in the container keeps it from turning over.

Campit

8. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Jan 8, 2012
    I use the smallest bottle they have, then refill as necessary.

9. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

Jul 22, 2012
    I only use the 8 oz. bottle of pure maple syrup.

Fbird likes this.
  10. Jean

Jean New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    For a short trip for just the three of us, I pack oil, honey and pancake syrup the same way. I run down to Target and buy their travel size shampoo/soap bottles. They typically have a couple different sizes. I might need oil for an ingredient as well as greasing pans down, so I'll get the 8 oz size as opposed to the 3 oz size. Then, I fill them from what I have at home.

Then I stick the bottles inside a freezer (thicker) zip lock bag. This trip I put the syrup in the refrigerator so it was easier to find and keep upright.

I've never had a problem with these kinds of containers and for $1, when they get grungy looking inside or if I can't find them immediately, I replace them.

Jean

11. candleems

candleems Member

Jul 12, 2006
    South Central PA
    Eggo had the perfectly sized bottles and drip proof tops (one with a valve). Unfortunately, i can't find them anymore.

I like the short squatty bottles. Take them along less than 1/2 full. Make sure it is placed in box with other items to keep it upright.

12. traindude

traindude ORYGUN

May 22, 2008
    Eugene OR
    We just put the bottle in cooler works great

13. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Hillsboro, Oregon

Cold syrup?? [:(O] !!!??... on hot cakes?? [:(] [SIZE=small]!!!?? Are you a[/SIZE][SIZE=small]n Alien?[/SIZE]

Laurel is a messy cook and messy server. Can't fight the drips, boil overs, spills, etc.
    I've accepted it. It isn't worth the fight.
    It seems that half of the stuff in the kitchen is sticky and the other half is slippery!! [LOL] [LOL]

14. beaverestate

beaverestate New Member

Aug 16, 2013
    This year we started using the bottles that Coffee Mate liquid creamer comes in. They are clear once you take the label off and have a pour spout. We used them for syrup, oil and BBQ sauce. No sticky mess and no zip lock bag needed! When we got home, I stuck them in the dishwasher and they can be reused again. Before doing this I tested the bottle by laying it on it's side on the fridge with water in it. No leaks!

15. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

May 31, 2011
    Maryland
    We use a honey bear bottle that had been emptied.

16. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    We also buy the small bottle and refill it for camping. We put it in the cooler with the other stuff. Less chances of it leaking all over everything else.

17. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Aug 20, 2007
    Western MA
    We do this, and it hasn't failed us in 5 years. [8D]

18. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    If it has not already been written the MIO drink mix containers are perfect for 1-2 servings of something.

19. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    We don't camp all that often, maybe 2 or 3 short trips per summer. That being said, when shopping for my list of food items before each trip, I pick up a new and sealed bottle. We go through syrup pretty fast at home and would rather not take from my pantry because those bottles are nearly empty or already messy. This way, we have plenty left over when we get home and nothing is messy on the trip.

20. ghri49

ghri49 Member

Aug 21, 2013
    We usually just bring a new bottle that is sealed and use it on the trip, we usually have a decent size group so we usually use most of it up, if not we while it down and bring it home. Never had a problem with it making a mess.