Packing up in the rain tips

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by Jimbow, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    We worked quickly but wound up with soggy bunk end mattresses. I tried to tuck the bunk ends under the mattress, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Any tips to make packing up in the rain better?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Texas
    We have PUG's (Pop Up Gizmos) to help keep the popup cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, one of the benefits is they help keep the rain off the mattresses because they extend a little past the bunk ends when the canvas is collapsed.

Our current Niagara has the bunk end canvas permanently attached to the end (only the sides of the bunk end canvas have bungee hooks) so packing up in the rain isn't really an issue for us.

On our previous pup's, whenever it was raining during the time to pack up my wife would wrap the bunk end mattresses with a tarp from inside the pop up before we started to break down. This way even if the bunk end canvas exposed the mattresses to the rain while we were packing up, the tarp would keep the mattresses dry.

Then when we got home, since the canvas was wet from the rain and had to be popped back up to dry out anyway, we would then remove the tarps.

3. ghacker

ghacker New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    We do pretty much the same as TX_F2. When we use the Gizmos, they help shield the bunkends during takedown. Similarly, we keep a roll of painters "cloth" on board. Very thin, we rip off what we need to wrap the mattresses. Only had to use it 1x so far but kept the mattresses bone dry. We also have a Coleman/Fleetwood so bunkend tenting permanently attached to bed platform.

4. Lauren5280

Lauren5280 Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Peachtree City, GA
    We just set up when we get home for a couple of days.

5. cullinan18

cullinan18 New Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Jimbow,

You can practice your technique by setting up the pup in your camper and then breaking it down with early morning dew on the canvas and see what techniques work best to minimize the amount of water getting on your mattresses.

6. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Jun 10, 2011
    My husband used to flip the mattresses over when it was raining. The bottom of the mattress had a vinyl coating on it.

Other than the above, just be fast!

7. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

Apr 5, 2013
    If you have one of those 10x10 or 12x12 ez up tents, move it over the end you sleep on before closing it up to help keep the rain off, or just wait for the rain to let up. Have everything inside ready to push the ends down and slide in as soon as it lets up, then work FAST.

8. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Thank you. The extra problem was we weren't going home,just heading to a different stop on the trip. Fortunately the next stop had laundry facilities so we dried our mattress pad (it tore) and the fitted and top sheet (forgot them and had to return).

Five weeks in the pup and this was our biggest challenge so I'm not complaining (anymore).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    We really enjoyed meeting you and your wife at Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, Jimbo!

Are you still on the road? We just got home today.