Palmetto Bug in the camper!!!

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Orchid, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Bugs crawl on us all the time. From mites to flies to big bugs, they are a part of life.

I don't think I would have bombed a camper for one bug, although they do stink when you piss then off.

We see spiders in our house all the time, mostly harmless jumpers and huntsman ones. Every year we get infested with stink bugs and rolly polys. We just deal with it.

Glad you are safe and sound though.

2. whitecastleman

whitecastleman Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Back in the early 80's my wife and I rented an apartment in an older home in Greenville, SC while we went to grad school one summer. One night I was awakened by something crawling across my face. This thread brought back those memories :)

3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    Cat nip repels roaches. They will leave the camper.

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    You sound like my 10-year-old twin granddaughters. They like to go with us in the camper but God help us all if a fly lands anywhere near them. The start screaming and running away.

Their 15-year-old sister was helping me with some yard work or something and a beautiful monarch butterfly landed on her arm. She had a conniption. I couldn't believe it. [:)C]

5. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Plymouth, MI USA
    It was a joke, but now I realize you meant "around inside" the camper, not "around the perimeter" of the camper. Read it my way, and see if you don't at least chuckle.

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Pardon my ignorance... do these things bite? I'm not familiar with them.

7. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    They are just cockroaches. Big ones. No biting.

kcsa75 and Orchid like this.
  8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Sounds like some kids need to get out and experience the outdoors lol. Maybe take them to a butterfly exhibit (one of those type where you walk through and the fly all around you) or something.

On a related note, we have been letting milkweed grow in our garden the past few years, and this year we were thrilled to find monarch caterpillers all over it. We kept one and put it into an aquarium, and it quickly formed a pupae. Unfortunately this was right before the 4th when we were camping, so we set it outside without the lid on, and pointed a couple security cameras at it. when we got back it was long gone, we got to watch it emerge and fly away on video. It was really cool... I had no idea how long it took them to fly off once they emerged. It was over 24 hours, with about 23 of that him just sitting on the twig gathering its composure lol.

kcsa75 and Orchid like this.
  9. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    The one Steve pictured is NOT native to North America but they are often reared in US zoos and colleges are demo insects to show classrooms. They are easy to handle, don't move fast, don't fly (obviously) and are kinda cute. And they make hissing sounds.

There are a couple species of cockroach called "palmetto bugs" in the SE US. They aren't that big (I mean, they're big, but not as big is the hissing cockroaches), and they aren't as charming. (And technically they aren't bugs; they are COCKROACHES.....)

I like most insects. I don't like palmetto bugs. :p

Pommom70 likes this.
  10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Double post

11. Orchid

I'm totally cool with outdoor bugs, as long as they stay outdoors. And I love it when buttflies land on me.

Palmetto bugs are like cockroaches on steroids. No way was I sleeping inside knowing it was in there.

kcsa75 likes this.
  12. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    They have mandibles therefore they can bite. If you grab it or it somehow gets trapped between you and something it can and probably will attempt to defend itself. They don't generally feed on people, but if hungry enough they will try.
    Palmetto Bugs are not native to the US. They were introduced through trade with Africa.

Orchid likes this.
  13. Orchid

Thank you! I'm vindicated.

14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Ill take them over these , there in my house. And not my pic.

Attached Files:

Orchid likes this.
  15. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    DE2E8389-BB63-4C39-8EA2-3CA621AA8C5B.jpeg I grew up in Indonesia and we had these little buggers. Strong too - it took some effort to dislodge them when they decided they did not want to leave your arm. Pic is not mine - my time there predated digital photos.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    We all need to join an exterminator sight! Lol.

Orchid likes this.
  17. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    You ain't livin' if you don't see Palmetto Bugs. They're part of the Florida heritage!
    As a side note; I spray my TT just like my house. Gets treated every 3 months for maintenance
    and an extra pre-post spray when we plan a trip/weekend/whatever.

Sjm9911 and Orchid like this.
  18. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Smash them with some dryer sheets! Let them choke on Irish spring soap in the corners! Lure and lock him up in a box of fresh cab! Mop the floor with peppermint oil!

That will teach 'em to mess with Orchid.

Sjm9911 and Orchid like this.
  19. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I too had to do a Google search for Palmetto Bugs haha... We get the lady bugs here regular and that about it... We also get loaded down with small sand ants when we camp around Myrtle beach and Charleston SC beaches... Since all of our camping roads go through Gatlingburg TN no telling how many small ants we have transported to the TN mountains over the years haha

I finally looked all around my POPUP trailer for ways bugs can get inside. too my surprise I had very large gaps where the pull out tent bed meets to frame walls... Mine have a very flimsy rubber seal there. I replaced both ends with one of these heavy duty door seals (LOWES)... Helped big time. Had to do some small cuts on the top of this seal to clear a few things. Don't see daylight anymore coming through the seals hehe...

[​IMG]

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  20. TRR

TRR Active Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Alabama USA
    I used to do pest control for a living. Once I got called out to do an initial service on a mobile home with a *bad* cockroach infestation. One of the people who lived there was an old lady who was bedridden and immobile. She had no eyebrows because the roaches had eaten them. Broke my heart.