Palomino Owners

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by pej, May 18, 2014.

1. pej

pej Member

Jul 17, 2013
    This discussion thread is for Palomino owners to identify each other and share details of their model/year, common issues (if any :), favorite modifications and generally assist each other with Palomino specific questions. I am hoping that this thread will continue as new Popup portal members owning Palomino trailers identify themselves and join in. I am not sure how many there are out there or if we all all happy, but hopefully time will tell.
    One item of general interest is to note that all brochures for Palominos and available for download from the web site. http://www.palominorv.com/Brochures/ Just scroll down to find your year and model.
    Enjoy.

2. pej

pej Member

Jul 17, 2013
    I'll start. I have a 2001 Palomino Pony 21 which we have owned since new. It is somewhat unique as it was never listed in the brochure and was only offered the one year. It came with a side dinette and front lounge, furnace, 3 way fridge, and 3 burner stove that can mount outside. It replaced our 1980 Lionel which had an 8' box that was only 6‘ wide. We found the Pony21 at the local dealer and the feature that grabbed our interest was the wrap around lounge on one end. With three children, we lost the kitchen table to become a bed every night and then we had no place to sit once kids were in bed especially on rainy and buggy nights. Being a Pony, it is lightweight, an important feature when towing with a van. It has functioned very well and our longest trip was a coast to coast Canada drive - 13K km, 28 nights and 21 setups. Younger and more ambitious with 3 kids back then.
    My favorite mods are D load rating 155R12 tires, eliminating the hand pump with a faucet and 12v demand pump, and quieting my furnace with a voltage regulator. The most important addition was a quality BBQ. The largest issue was repairing the propane operation of the fridge after 10 years of easy operation.

Peter

traveler2 likes this.
  3. trexal21

trexal21 New Member

May 29, 2013
    Hey everybody, just purchased a 1990 TXL with all factory options. Just opened her up and am currently trying all system. So far I've found a couple of issues. The fresh water tank was removed and the water system is city water only. I have found a problem. There is a leak on the back side of the water heater between the tank and the burner control. If any of you guys have ever removed one of these for repair I could sure use the advice, dontcha know. :) My wife and I will be using regardless this weekend for sure.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    We owned a 2004 6147 Mustang ... Only real issue we ever had was with the lift posts (the square designed ones) would occasionally jam inside one another and actually one time bent a support bracket under the trailer up into the floor ... think if you look in my photo album the pics are still there ... IIRC in 2006 Palomino replaced the square tubes with rectangle tubes on models with a 12ft roof...

5. Tcrain

Tcrain New Member

May 23, 2014
    Looking for the owners manual for my new old toy, 2008 Palomino Yearling. Got it two days ago, had to replace the hose on the fresh water fill, and had some winch issues, think I got them fixed, but need to know about the flush for the potty? Should a small amount of water come out when you push the button? Hoping to go next weekend.

Thanks to all

6. jjg

jjg Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Is it a Thetford toilet. The water will come out in short bursts or pulsate when you flush it. That is normal.

7. froggie

froggie New Member

Sep 2, 2012
    2011 Palomino-Only problems we have are with the door. It doesn't always stay latched when pup is down, especially when the road is rough. It is also sometimes hard to keep closed when popped up. We are pretty fanatical about leveling, but still have issues. Our other issue is with the manual lift. We have only used our winch for raising camper. Can't figure our how to raise it manually.

8. davej

davej New Member

Apr 9, 2014
    2004 Palomino Filly here. Frame seems to have some sagging on the door side which causes the lower door to pinch, even when leveled as close to perfect as humanly possible. I solved this by using a scissor jack just in front of the door step, using just enough extra lift there to allow the door to open/close smoothly. I have to slightly re-adjust the front stabilizer afterwards. This one also will occasionally have the lower door come unlatched when traveling, but the top cap keeps it from coming open while underway.

Sent from my Le Pan S using Tapatalk

9. HammelBrau

HammelBrau Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Boise, ID
    We're on I think 6th season of owning a 1986 Mustang. Biggest problem is not having enough camping nights. It is our first pup and have already made MANY wonderful memories in it. External spring loaded lift arms (needing replacement). Seller told us he didn't think the fridge or stove worked, but they both worked fine. We've replaced the canvas, the convertor, and new battery. Also added memory foam toppers last year. Absolutely LOVE LOVELOVE pup camping compared to tent camping and, based on the prices of the pups we saw at camping world today, we'll enjoy many more seasons iin our Palomino.

Thanks for starting this thread!

10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Just purchased a 2005 Palomino Pony 2100 last week, our first pup, and looking forward to using it next weekend.

I'm in search of an owner's manual if anyone here has one. The newest manual in the manual sections here is from 1997.

I've already made a couple mods on it: added a battery (not really a mod, since it was wired for one), and added a couple of combo cigarette lighter/dual USB charging ports, one by each bunk end. Also have LED lighting ordered. More to come I'm sure :)

traveler2 likes this.
  11. pej

pej Member

Jul 17, 2013
    I have an owners manual for a 2001 Pony 21. They may be similar. It may take me a few days. PM me if i forget.

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer. Someone posted me a link to the '03 version in another thread.

I was surprised how non-specific it was. I was expecting specific instructions on how to pop it up, where to store all the parts for travel, etc. Good thing I pretty much knew all of that :)

13. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Jun 25, 2012
    This is great. Thought for awhile there weren't too many of us out there.We have a 1998 Palomino Mustang. No water heater but we're okay since it's got AC, heater and 3-way fridge. We too have some door issues. Used our new BAL leveler a few weeks ago, under the door-side tire. It was level but couldn't keep door hooked in well. We've only used this PUP 3 times now, as we replaced our '91 Skamper with it, last fall. DH is trying to figure out what wires are needed and how he will hook up a battery. We're loving that we have an awning, but not sure if we want to figure out the add a room. It's brand new in the box. We like our Fast Up canopy with screen and wind walls.

14. davej

davej New Member

Apr 9, 2014
    The Owner's Manual that came with the paperwork we received from the PO on our 2004 Palomino Filly was so generic it could have been for ANY make/model pup. I suspect Palomino used this type of generic manual so they could use the one manual for all of their pup models interchangeably.

Sent from my Le Pan S using Tapatalk

15. DRock6022

DRock6022 New Member

Feb 20, 2014
    I'm the owner of a 2009 Palomino Pony 2100. I just bought it this year and have yet to take it out. I'll post something after our first trip. Hopefully soon.

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Actually the current manual came out a few years ago after they had a fire at the plant and lost all the original copies of the manuals they had... IIRC the lady I spoke to said the fire was sometime in the late 90's, so from that point to now they have used a more generic manual ...

17. waltc

waltc New Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Just bought a 86/87ish camper and was inquiring about a manual, and I got the fire burned up everything, but the current manual may be somewhat helpful. I down loaded it anyway.

Does anyone on here know if the battery/120 system worked the same? I'm supposed to take it back tot he dealer to get the wiring done to connect to my truck (they didn't have the people there on Saturday), and other than the running lights, the battery charging off the truck alternator was the only issue I could think we needed to hookup to.

Any suggestions for other items relating to the electrical?

18. BASINBURN

BASINBURN New Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Purchased a 2008 Palomino Banshee b-1 Second Owner . few trip under our belt this summer . All tucked in for winter right now. Am happy so far.

19. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

Aug 4, 2009
    SE US
    Just bought a 2010 P-280. Looked to be in good condition. AC, electric lift, furnace and 3way fridge. Previous owner said they never used the fridge but it works great. AV didn't work but it turns out to only be the thermostat. I am replacing the interior lights with LED and have added the plugin clip-on bunk lights.

It looks like there was a leak on the rear part of the roof at one time. They caulked it and I had to clean up the orange mold underneath but it looks good.

Taking it out in Dec for out first non-tent trip.

20. WannaTravel

WannaTravel Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    We had a 2013 Yearling 4127 up until this summer. It was BIG, and tall, too. Pretty inside and out.