Pennsylvania State Forest Boondocking New For 2016

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by PaThacker, Oct 18, 2016.

1. PaThacker

PaThacker Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I noticed something breakthrough for Pennsylvania state forests yesterday. Each state forest now has dispersed motorized camping My district: the Delaware State has 29 unique motorized dispersed camping sites. Boondocking sites any car 4wd and/or camper can drive on. Sites have fire ring and picnic tables. I'm done with state park parks from know on.

bob barnes likes this.
  2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Do you have a website link which shows where these are?

3. bruino8

bruino8 New Member

Aug 13, 2016
    That is so awesome ! Now to find out where they are.

4. PaThacker

PaThacker Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I went to dcnr page checking Internet reserved sites. I saw link Motorized dispersed.
    I clinked select forest Said email or call. I emailed and got the link. He is the online permit. Read up. Even talks about discharging gray water.

COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA
    DEPARTMENT OF CONSERVATION
    AND NATURAL RESOURCES
    BUREAU OF FORESTRY

FORESTRY
    CAMPING PERMIT #:      ​

Forest District #: 19​​CAMPFIRE:​ is permitted
    ​​​ not permitted

Camping Permit Conditions Are On The Back Of This Permit.
    Clean-Up Your Campsite Before You Leave.

​Name​     

​Address​     

​​     ​     ​​​​Zip Code

*** Display this permit at Campsite ***
    Permit holder is responsible for the actions of the group.
    Home Phone No.:
    ( )

   
    Emergency Phone No.:
    (     )

     
    Individual’s Driver’s License #:

     
    Vehicle Description: Color
         
    License No.:

     ​
    State:

     ​
    Make & Model:

     

e into the forest. All other fires are prohibited.
    • Campfires e into the forest. All other fires are prohibited.
    • Campfires shall be attended at all times.
    • Campfires in both fire rings and in fireplaces are prohibited when the forest-fire danger is determined by the Depart hot charcoal is disposed of in a facility designed to handle it) when used in a safe manner. be attended at all times.
    • Campfires in both fire rings and in fireplaces are prohibited when the forest-fire danger is determined by the Depart hot charcoal is disposed of in a facility designed to handle it) when used in a safe manner.
    Camping:

Type:

     
    Dates:

     ​
    To:
         
    Has a Letter of Authorization been issued? Yes No
    Number of campers in your group:      
         ​    
    Permit Issued By​Date
    C8170-CD-FR0021 Rev. 2/2016

CAMPING PERMIT CONDITIONS
    Camping Permits, those holding a permit must abide by Chapter 21 General Provisions of the State Forest Rules & Regulations (i.e. Title 17 of the Pennsylvania Code, Part I. Department of Conservation and Natural Resources), the Camping Permit Conditions, as well as the other laws of the Commonwealth. A Camping Permit will be valid for no more than seven consecutive nights. Individuals must vacate a site for at least 48 hours before reapplying. Camping Permits will
    •

I have a map of my district with 29 sites Holy hell we finally have boondock friendly state forests

bob barnes likes this.
  5. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    interesting thread [:D]

6. PaThacker

PaThacker Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Camping
    Delaware State Forest offers a several different opportunities for motorized camping and primitive camping. Motorized Camping is defined as overnight camping in or near the vehicle where the vehicle is to be used for storage or transportation. Primitive Camping is defined as overnight camping where all equipment is transported manually and where a motorized vehicle is not located near or part of the camping experience.

The district has 29 established sites for motorized camping where campers will find a fire ring, picnic table, and sign board. An approved permit, free of charge, is required for all motorized camping in Delaware State Forest. The sites vary in size; some may accomodate a vehicle and a tent while others may accomodate several vehicles or an RV. The sites also vary in location and ease of access; many are accessible by sedan/car while others are better accessed by 4WD vehicles. Please call (570-895-4000) or email (fd19@pa.gov) the district office for additional details and to request a permit.

Group Camping, defined as more than 10 people in a unit overnight or primitive camping, opportunities are available as well. All Group Camping requires a Letter of Authorization from the District Forester as well as a camping permit. Please contact the District Office with your group camping request at least two weeks in advance of your proposed trip.

The Delaware State Forest has one established camping area along the Upper Delaware River. Access to this parcel of Delaware State Forest is ONLY by boat. The camp site is administered by the National Park Service and a permit is required. Permits can be obtained by contacting the National Park Service Upper Delaware River Scenic and Recreational River, 274 River Road, Beach Lake, PA 18405 or by calling (570) 685-4871 or fax at (570) 685-4874.

Hunting & Trapping

7. PaThacker

PaThacker Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I have PDF maps showing exact sites with coordinates. You can email that link in my previous post and get PDF map. PDF brochure and word permit. How can I post a PDF?

8. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    PAThwacker, Thanks for sharing the PDF. We'll tuck that information away for future use.

9. PaThacker

PaThacker Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Sure thing. I'll be boonin in the woods every other weekend till snow
    Gets too deep or impassable roads. I don't mind pupping in the winter off grid. I do it in a tent 6 miles back or run my Yamaha for heaters daytime and bed heaters at night in the pup.

Look at the picture on the dcnr general info PDF. If you can get a truck back there so can a pup. I am familiar with the locations on my Delaware state Forest they are off route 447 route 402 and route 6. Route 209 has Delaware water gap recreation area.

10. PaThacker

PaThacker Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I camped local (1hr drive) at Promised Land State Park over the weekend. On return trip checked out 5 of the off grid boondocking sites. All five were conducive to pups upto prevost buses. A sixth looked more remote and pup specific. All 6 were 8 miles from my home.

11. popup 61

popup 61 New Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Camped there at the Owego sites with our pup. Couldn't ask for more in a boondocking site. Picnic table, fire ring with grate , peace and quiet all weekend long on a beautiful Sept weekend. Don't tell too many people. shhhhhhhh

12. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Here is Mo. our primitive campsites cost 11.00 for seniors 13.00 normal!! you get water and hot showers!! 3 campsites are on trout fishing streams!!!

13. popup 61

popup 61 New Member

Jan 10, 2016
    was just looking and found my email from the forest ranger with a map of the campsites in the Owego portion of the Delaware state forest.

Attached Files:

bob barnes likes this.
  14. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    It is amazing these little states have so much to offer one of our best camping experiences was tenting in a state park in New Jersey the Mountain Laurel had just started blooming. The campground was on a high hill almost like a mountain!!

15. PaThacker

PaThacker Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Pennsylvania has a few in the Delaware State Forest boondocking in close proximity to stocked Trout stream and one lake close to suburbia. Very close to pristine hunting terrain and natural areas.

16. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    PAThacker,
    I just wanted to thank you for the link. My family's estate is on Greenland Road at the bottom of Schuylkill Co. There is a minor buffer of a few acres between our estate and the State Game Lands which is owned by the Water Commission. I'm the only one of the family south of the Mason-Dixon Line so looking at the maps made me want to head up home for a trip this summer.

My father never believed in camping since we live on Peter's Mtn and our property is over 100 acres with few neighbors and mostly forest. So I grew up knowing how to survive in the forest with only a pocket knife. If we ever take the PUP up to the family estate I can simply plug into the one of the nearby outlets on the estate and still fell like we're in the middle of the forest because we are and that's great. Usually when we go up we either stay at my brother's cabin or the family cabin on the one side of the estate...again thanks.

17. popup 61

popup 61 New Member

Jan 10, 2016
    just had this emailed to me from the local forest ranger. Its another part of the Delaware state forest and the camping site locations.

Attached Files: