Percolator coffee fail

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by Drvred, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    Had my first attempt at making coffee in an old fashioned percolator this weekend.
    Had three attempts and let it perk longer each time, each time the coffee was very weak.
    The percolator instructions said to put six tablespoons of coffee in the basket, I used Dunkin Donuts original blend, ground coarse. And filled with water to just below the basket.
    The last time I let it perk for 15 minutes, and it was no better.
    What is the secret?

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Let me put on my flame suit before I answer......

Ok, here's how to fix it: throw out the percolater and buy a French press.

JPBar likes this.
  3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Or a Keurig. Consistent brew and hot in about a minute, easy clean up.

4. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I put at least 7 scoops in mine... I get it to boil and start perking then turn the burner way down & let it perk for 14-15 minutes so I would say you did it right - just a little more coffee... and good God don't throw out the pot!

5. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Member

Mar 16, 2017
    All i know is that my Wife's aunt brings a percolator to Christmas every year because of the "amazing coffee it makes." Every time it is incredibly weak. You can see all the way to the bottom of the cup through a full pour.

6. Toolmaker13

Toolmaker13 Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I don't measure the coffee, just fill the basket half way with grinds and throw on high flame. Then when it starts to perk turn flame down just enough to keep the perk going, or else you will have coffee flowing out of the spout and going everywhere and if your afraid of getting grinds in your coffee do not use this method. 10 to 15 min of perk time is all it takes.

xxxapache likes this.
  7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Probably need more coffee in the basket...

We are avid bean coffee drinkers. Gotta have my fresh ground and brewed Columbian Bean Coffee.

My primary coffee maker is the Cuisinart Grind and Brew DGB-650BC and pours up into a thermos carafe that keeps the coffee hot all day long. I picked this coffee maker maker because it is only drawing power for about five minutes during the grind and brew process and then completely shuts down after that. We have our favorite fresh coffee beans being the Eight O'CLOCK Colombian Peak which is available from WALMART all over the country. We bring along our favorite brand of bottled water to get the same coffee taste where ever we are located.

[​IMG]

Our backup coffee maker is the COLEMAN STOVE TOP perculator... To make fresh bean coffee in this unit requires us to use a Mr Coffee Grinder which is a 120VAC 170WATT model that runs perfect from our low wattage Power Inverter from the batteries in the truck or off-road camper. Can plug it in at either place.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I think I have one of those battery operated coffee grinders in one of the storage cabinets but have never used it .

Here again we bring along our favorite brand of bottled water to get the same great coffee taste we enjoy.

This coffee pot basket is filled to the same level ever time and heated up on the stove top or bon-fire until it quits perking. Have no idea how many scoops this is as the fresh ground coffee beans is poured in from the grinder...

Both methods here works for us either from being on Shore power or my small 2KW Generator or from the stove top or a bon-fire which of course really blacks up my coffee maker.

This all works great for us no matter where we are camping. Have never tried any of the new K-CUP coffee... Don't think I would like it being old school but who knows. Probably would be grinding my own fresh coffee beans using the Mr Coffee grinder and using that in the K-CUPs to get the brewed Bean coffee taste we enjoy... Sounds like the Battery power used to make K-CUP coffee would work into our system setup just fine... Making a single cup of coffee each time would definitely have to be something to get used to hehe... I remember my Dad would would just keeping adding more coffee grindd to the bottom of the coffee maker and keep brewing...

We camp off-grid the most of the time. My camping goal is to wake up creekside somewhere back in the woods off trail and drink my first cup of good ole fresh ground and brew bean coffee and watching the fish jump. Can't get no better than that for us hehe...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

8. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    I agree with this for sure. My wife likes to use the percolator for a 'treat' instead of the drip coffee maker. I find it's good but always ends up with more grit in the bottom of my cup. [:(O]
    It's a funny thing about coffee. We have friends that prefer the 'watery' kind you describe and say that we make it too strong. Sometimes I say I don't make it strong enough. :(

9. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    As a veteran wilderness camper of 60 years it sounds like what others have said; put in more coffee. I've been brewing coffee cowboy style in a sause pan, french press and percolator and percolator is my favorite. Nothing wrong with your percolator, doctor it up with more java.

10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Not worth the effort. Drink tea instead!

11. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    I think I need to measure the water and go from there, the six tbs I was using almost fills the basket, and a 12 oz bottle of water didn't get halfway to the basket.

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    this was my problem too. Everything I tried it just tasted too watery. I ultimately gave up and bough a pour over for when I camped without electricity. Its a device that holds a coffee filter right over your coffee cup. You pour hot water over the coffee into your cup. Still not as strong as I like, but way better than what I got from the purculator.

13. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The real trick to the Perk is to use The Very Coarse setting on the Grinder. It makes all the difference. I also fill the basket 70% full.

14. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    That would be my exact words, too!

15. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Wouldn't trade perked coffee for any fancy smancy gadgets.
    Keep in mind, in the coffee world a cup is 6 ounces.
    Put in 2 tablespoons for every cup, bring to boil, lower heat, perk for 8 to 10 minutes.

kcsa75, neighbormike, jnc and 2 others like this.
  16. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    I use a French press for my wife’s decaf and an aero press for my first cup while I wait for my percolator to finish. Nothing like coffee from a percolator.

17. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The thing I like the best about a Perk it is simple to reheat while camping anywhere.

18. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Surprise, AZ
    I gave up on my percolator, grounds in my coffee bug me, so I bought a french press and it's the best coffee I've had camping.

We usually don't camp with hook ups, but even if we did I can still use this and it hardly takes up any room.

19. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

Jul 26, 2016
    Middlesex, New Jersey
    I think the problem was the Dunkin Donuts coffee.

BelchFire and jnc like this.
  20. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    I bought a French Press from Walmart, and like it.
    Just a pain with the small batches.
    I think I was using too much water with the percolator