Philharmonic

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Philharmonic, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Philharmonic

Philharmonic New Member

Nov 21, 2018
    Laurens, SC
    I did not think ahead when I chose my screen name, I was aiming at Phil living in Harmony with other people. What I got was multiple questions about what instrument I played. LOL

I am retired and live in Laurens, SC on SS, so I am dirt poor. LOL, My wife works some, and I spend my time in Tyger River Correctional doing prison ministry with all my friends who wear Tan. {every state is diff. Florida prisoners wear blue, SC prisoners wear Tan.}

My dream for 50 years has been to take a motorcycle trip out west and see all the sights. I bought a Yamaha FJR 1300 put a hitch on it, bought a camper trailer {old Combi Camp, smallest one they made} and then realized the wife and I were too old {70} to enjoy two months and 5-7 thousand miles on a motorcycle.

So, we are thinking pop up campers. Do NOT have a decent TV or pop up yet and am here to learn, much patience appreciated. Ignorance is NOT bliss.

neighbormike and J Starsky like this.
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    awelcome.jpg
    Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline.

3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Welcome from Oklahoma.

4. Philharmonic

Philharmonic New Member

Nov 21, 2018
    Laurens, SC
    I am looking for TV advice, I thought there was a TV forum, what have I missed, Thanks, phil

5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

I would do a search of the entire forum then if you still have questions, the Camper Pre-Purchase Questions, First Time and New Camper Owners would be good places to start. And there's always the General Camping Discussion board.

Good luck. [:)C]

6. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    Ignorance is bliss. Those in the "know" aren't prepped and ready for new knowledge!

Welcome from East Central MN !!!!

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Welcome to PopUpPortal

8. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from another Minnesotan!

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome from N/W fl Panhandle. If you have questions ask and I am sure someone on here can / will be able to assist you with an answer. Good Luck on The search and happy Camping. BTW SC has some great places to make memories and have adventures.

10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the Portal from another South Carolinian.

11. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia. Your never too old to ride.

12. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Welcome from Alaska.

Your TV will depend upon the PUP you select. There are some exceptions, but in general, if you stick to the smaller PUPs with 8' boxes, just about any old half ton pickup will pull it easily. There's all kinds of factors though with electric brakes, hitches, etc. Look on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for some deals. Around here, what we'd call what you're looking for is a "beater with a heater". Best of luck and welcome once again.

13. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the portal!

14. FARfetched

FARfetched New Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Georgia
    Howdy neighbor, greetings from Georgia. I'm just getting started myself.

I've seen popups designed for towing behind bikes, but I have to agree—doing the Grand Tour on a motorcycle, at 70, would be a challenge. I'm a few days short of 60, and would only do that kind of thing solo (on a bike). But a weekender or even a week at the beach? I'd give it a shot. That FJR & Combi Camp combo sounds like a fun way to get out of the rat race for a while. :)

Now you've got me wondering if my XV1100 Virago would pull a little popup. :D

15. Philharmonic

Philharmonic New Member

Nov 21, 2018
    Laurens, SC

16. Philharmonic

Philharmonic New Member

Nov 21, 2018
    Laurens, SC
    Well, I don't live far from you. Put a trailer hitch on your Virago, and come up here to Laurens, SC and borrow my Combi Camp and see what you think. If you like it you can buy it, or find a bigger one, mine is quite small. Really only for one person or skinny newlyweds, LOL. The wife and I have spent a few nights in there, but it was like sleeping on a single bed. Still, to get an idea about towing one???