Pls tell me a good sleeping bag with zippers that don't break!

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by campagain, Aug 27, 2017.

1. campagain

campagain Active Member

Jun 24, 2017
    I need to buy sleeping bags for me and the kids. My number one pet peeve is broken zippers. Even the new Coleman North Rim bags have feedback of cheap zippers. I am not throwing money at a bag that won't stay closed!!

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I have a Kelty Calliston 15 degree synthetic and although the zipper gets hung up on the material once in a while, the zipper still works and the material is not cut. Just have to move it back and forth till unsnagged.

Only drawback I will say is it does not fold down small, and when I use it in a tent it is hard to pack up. However, in the trailer there is no problem, plenty of room to store it in the trailer vs. a duffle bag.

Price was around $95 when I purchased it in 2012.

3. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Well as soon as I saw the title I was going to suggest Coleman. I still have the Coleman that my dad gave me when I was 12. Im 51 now. Both my boys have slept in it. And guess where I keep it. In our pup of coarse!

4. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I have had good luck with Cabela's, however, they aren't cheap.

5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    My kids have cheap Walmart brand bags. To keep the zippersclosed I use a diaper pin behind the zipper. My wife and I have two coleman bags that we zip together. I don't have a lot of problems with it unzipping.

6. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    My wife and I have a pair of sierra designs bags that we got 20+ years ago. they are 20 deg bags and pack quite small. Take a look at Campmor and see what they have. Good bags are going to run around $100 or so, but they will last for a long time. Also, synthetic insulation has come a long way in the last 15 years, it is as good as and as light as most down. For kids bags, we got some at Dicks that lasted until they outgrew them (6-10 years). They are all in big bags now as they are more than 5' 4".

7. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Mnt camper is right. Cheap is cheap. Try unzipping them and using them as blankets, as opposed to "sleeping bags". You won't have to worry about the zipper, and you get the same insulation.

8. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Kelty

9. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    One more comment from the peanut gallery. Pay attention to the weight (Temperature rating) you get. I actually look for the 50deg bags, because we mostly do summer camping. I never could get the wife to buy into that the bunks are beds and just need sheets and a comforter.

10. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Try military surplus sleeping bags.

11. campagain

campagain Active Member

Jun 24, 2017
    I took a chance and bought 3 Coleman Montauk bags. They are rated to 20 deg, regular rectangle bag, and are 6'5" long.

We'll see how they hold up. I watched mummy bag vidz and they would not have been a hit with the kids. I also considered Kelty, but these bags were right in frt of me at Walmart so I figured I'll try. Don't fail me, Coleman!!!!

12. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    As a fat guy, I HATE mummy bags!! Lol I used to have a great Coleman bag but someone "borrowed" it. Replaced it with my Cabela's....

13. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    luv my north face bags that zip together, or use separately...[CC]

14. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

May 8, 2015
    Upstate New York
    Wiggy's sleeping bags. Hands down the most bulletproof sleeping bag made. I own a few of them. Running a great sale right now.

From their website:

"THE WIGGY'S GUARANTEE
    Our Guarantee is for a lifetime of use. If a seam opens, the zipper breaks or the Lamilite insulation deteriorates (such as losing its loft or separating, clumping in one place or another), Wiggy’s will repair or replace your bag at no charge to you.

At this time, I know of no sleeping bag manufacturer that would even consider such a guarantee. The reason is simple: they already know the insulation they use will deteriorate. If you have ever compared information from the different sleeping bag and extreme cold weather garment manufacturers, you will see that they have never guaranteed the insulation they use, nor do they now.

At this time, Wiggy's Inc. is the only manufacturer of sleeping bags in the USA.
    I take pride in being a company who makes superior sleeping bags & garments right here in the United States of America. We have not now, nor have we ever, outsourced the making & manufacturing of our products to foreign soil, and we never will."

https://www.wiggys.com/sleeping-bags/

XKPin likes this.
  15. Mausinn

Mausinn Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Washington
    If having the zippers fail is your main worry, I would suggest looking for bags that have metal zippers as opposed to the nylon type. I have a handful of bags I have replaced with metal zippered bags due to the nylon zippered bags popping the zipper when just a little stress was exerted on them during the night.

If you aren't in absolute need of a "bag", you might consider Rumpl blankets and comforters for making up your bed in the pup or tent. They have similar ratings to bags, and are very versatile for around the camp.

https://www.rumpl.com/

16. JBinNV

JBinNV Member

May 10, 2017
    Reno, NV
    check out sierra trading post. they usually have Marmot bags on sale including the compression stuff sacks. warm, lightweight and pretty durable

17. lucky13don

lucky13don Member

Jul 13, 2016
    sf bay area
    rei has some great bags. not cheap tho. one year warranty no question asked returns.

18. MissLou

MissLou Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Cabelas never came unzipped for us.

19. nhsummitmommy

nhsummitmommy New Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Jaffrey NH
    I love my NEMO Equipment bag. It has a "spoon shape" to it so there's more room in the footbox/knee area to move around. The shoulder area is wider too and has a baffle so you can tuck yourself in like you would with a blanket. I'm a side sleeper and this bag is hands down the best bag I have ever owned.

20. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    This is what we do with our sleeping bags. Have two zipped together and keep them on the bed. If it gets real cold inside we can get inside the sleeping bag real quick. that has never happened however. Use them as the top cover on our tent bed...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]