Plumbing camp stove into Pup propane

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Tboy, May 24, 2014.

1. Tboy

Tboy Member

Ok I have a Sheffeild three burner camp stove and as I sit in the campground the built in regulator has started to leak. So is it possible to plumb the pup propane right into the camp stove? (I would do this once we get home) I would bypass the camp stove regulator and plumb right into the pup propane.

2. real lite virgin

real lite virgin Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab

Shouldn't be a problem. We had our BBQ and inside/outside stove hooked up to a quick disconnect on the side of the pup.

3. greatdane

greatdane New Member

Where would one buy the quick disconnect hose? Did you have to make it up or do they sell them ready to go?

4. real lite virgin

real lite virgin Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab

Any RV parts store should be able to supply it for you

5. greatdane

greatdane New Member

went to General RV store and they don't sell them said we have to go to a propane place to get one made up.... went to a propane place and they said they don't sell those either!

6. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

I plumbed a Coleman 2 burner stove into my old pup. Line pressure for the propane wasn't high enough and the stove performed much better on just a 1 lb. bottle.

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

RV connection hose, not to be used with Coleman propane stove that operates @ 15 psi.

8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

On our pup the stove connections are for low pressure ones. The Coleman camping stoves are high pressure. I have an LP adapter on the propane tank and use a hose to connect to the tank. Or, we just bring another tank. Lately on cross country trips we have been using the little green bottles.

9. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

THIS!^

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

The OP wants to get rid of a leaking regulator so hooking to container pressure is not an option, if the stove is low pressure internally he/she/it can use a quick disconnect directly from the PU low pressure quick disconnect female to the stove san regulator like many do with their in/out stove.

http://www.gashosesandregulators.com/propanequickconnect.html

11. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I guess the questions for the OP does the stove require high pressure or low pressure in order for the burners to burn correctly?

Would it be cheaper to replace the stove regulator?

I am not familiar with that stove so I really don't know what is involved with replacing the regulator.

12. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I would think it should work to bypass the stove regulator. I would check with the stove manufacture and see what the regulated pressure is? Most campers are regulated at around 11 water inch pressure, or about 1/2 psi.

13. Tboy

Tboy Member

Re: Plumbing camp stove into Pup propane DID NOT WORK!!

Didnt work, not enough pressure from the pup system to run the coleman.

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Re: Plumbing camp stove into Pup propane DID NOT WORK!!

Even with the proper adapter at the propane tank you'll still need the proper Coleman regulator to run the stove...

15. rsdata

rsdata Member

I learned a lot reading this thread and looking at my hybrid then doing internet search.
    Especially nice was this link... http://www.gashosesandregulators.com/propanequickconnect.html

I have sent them an email with a question... will see how fast or even if they respond.

I find my 2014 Flagstaff Shamrock has a low pressure female fitting on the side. The "free" grill that came with it does not have a regular burner or griddle like my Coleman Roadtrip grill I love to use so much. This Roadtrip LE grill has a detachable LP regulator on a threaded female end that threads into the grill from the back. It looks like this (the threaded end)

[​IMG]

I have tried to find a new regulator part for this Roadtrip grill part number 9942A5251, but everywhere I look, even Coleman says discontinued or out-of-stock.

[​IMG]

I was thinking that I would purchase another regulator assembly and cut the tube after the regulator and fit on a low pressure LP quick connect hose on it and use a hose clamp. I do NOT want to do that with the only assembly that I have... that is why I thought I would purchase another for about $20 and attempt to do it on that one.

Does anyone have an idea where I can get an alternative to this discontinued Coleman regulator? One advertised on Amazon will not fit this stove as several commentators have mentioned in the QA section.

DOES NOT FIT ROADTRIP GRILL
    [​IMG]

If I was the sleezy type I would purchase the grill, as they still sell them, pull out the regulator, then return it for a refund...
    BUT I could not do that and still sleep at night.

ANY IDEAS OF HOW I CAN still use this Coleman grill and attach to the low pressure quick disconnect on the trailer? Maybe a secondary LP hose from the trailer tanks to be hooked up when I get there... not elegant, but doable I suppose.

16. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

I had a similar issue with a RT grill. Coleman ended up replacing entire grill under warranty. Had to ship the regulator and base back though which cost about $35. May want to contact them again.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

17. rsdata

rsdata Member

My grill is well used and about 4 years old... it would be worth $35 to get a new $200 grill... [:D]
    I doubt they would go for it!

18. phantom_yj

phantom_yj New Member

My experience with Coleman is that they have excellent customer service policies and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they did replace the whole unit. I have had two Coleman products fully replaced years after they had fallen out of warranty. You should most definitely try...

19. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

20. rsdata

rsdata Member

I guess after reading/researching and reading posts on this forum, I have concluded that not all LP regulators produce pressure regulated output at ONLY the two ends of the spectrum... that is HI-pressure and LOW-pressure. There seem to be some regulators designed to do something between these two extremes.

These camper quick disconnects seem to be either 1/2 PSI LOW-pressure (the end on my camper is marked as such) or HI-pressure (I have yet to determine what that HI-pressure number is).

Somewhere I read that Coleman regulators and their attachment points are usually unique to Coleman as a design feature, produced specifically for Coleman products and are NOT off-the-shelf generic parts. IF SOMEONE HERE POSTED THAT... THANKS AND I AGREE WITH YOU! [;)]

Coleman LOW-pressure regulators may or may not be 1/2 PSI is what I am offering here. Maybe they are 3/4 PSI or 1 PSI, and still be considered a LOW-pressure regulator.

SO, NOW I ASK... can you take LP gas from a regulated LOW-pressure 1/2 PSI quick disconnect hose from the camper system and rig an adapter hose (1# tank adapter to quick disconnect) and use regulated low pressure from the camper to fuel another regulator in-line with the Coleman stove?

[​IMG]

Refering to the picture above... What I am talking about is replacing the bulk tank adapter end on the hose and putting on a male quick disconnect end to plug into the camper gas low-pressure system.

One "expert" that answered an email question I sent said, "sometimes it works and sometime it does not"...

Any opinions out there?