Plumbing Questions

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Mattda, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Mattda

Mattda New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    I have a 2009 flagstaff 246D. The image I have here is what I screwed off the inlet side of my water pump. I looks like some kind of filter. What is this? Where I unscrewed this from, can this be were I connect a hose to winterize with antifreeze? If so will a regular size hose screw onto this? If not, it doesn't look very easy to actually get to the actual water inlet hose connection. Also the Flagstaff owners manual says there is a inline water filter. I cant find it anywhere. Where would the water filter be located? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    This is the filter that prevents small particles from getting into the pump. In our TT, we found shavings from the fresh water tank in it, from drilling out the connection holes.
    AFAIK, it isn't where any antifreeze intake connects. Our pump came with the intake hose attached already, so we didn't have to install it. It looks like a short section of hose with a valve near the pump, open ended at the other.

Mattda likes this.
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Yup, as kitphantom said, it is the filter holder. The filter itself is removable and looks like a small metal colander. It should be checked at least once a year. Last year, mine got clogged with some slime from the water tank before I sanitized the tank for the second time.

I use a 24 inch piece of water line with a connector on it to winterize my pump and lines. I remove the line from the tank going into the pump, attach the small water line, insert it into the winterizing fluid and turn on the pump. It doesn't take long to empty the antifreeze bottle. I have no water heater so all I have to do is let enough antifreeze run into the sink to displace the water in the p-trap.

It takes me longer to remove the access panel that it does to winterize the water lines and sink.

Mattda likes this.
  4. Mattda

Mattda New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    BikeNFish I hate to sound dumb here but can you be a little more specific on "water line with a connector" . Maybe a picture or recommend where I can buy this. Or is this something you put together yourself. Thats a good idea disconnecting from water tank and hooking up there. Not much room to get to the pump inlet directly.

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Nothing dumb about the question.

Shurflo-255-315-strainer-swivel-nut-350x295.png

The connector threads onto the pump intake at the strainer (Green Arrow) and it looks like the one on the right (Red Arrow). I pup it together myself. I bought the connector separate from the hose from my local RV service center. I had some hose in the garage. You can get some hose from any hardware store.

Mattda likes this.
  6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    I unscrew the pump inlet hose and connect one end of a hand held shower hose to the inlet of the pump and drop the other end into the 4 gal. of pink antifreeze

In the past with the pup, I just pulled the tank outlet line off and stuck that into the jug of pink..

Mattda likes this.
  7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Ours is something like this kit. https://smile.amazon.com/Valterra-P...114384&sr=8-8&keywords=rv+antifreeze+pump+kit
    When we installed a new water pump, my husband just transferred it to the new one.
    If you have a hot water tank, it does not need antifreeze, just to be drained. Most have a winter-bypass. You also do not need to add antifreeze to the fresh water tank. It does need to be pumped/pulled through all the fresh water lines and into the traps, if any. (Our TT has a HepVo in the shower, so we don't need to add antifreeze there, but we do to the p-trap under the sink.)

Mattda likes this.
  8. Mattda

Mattda New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Thanks everyone for your quick responses and help. After further inspection, for now I'm just gonna disconnect from the water tank and stick the hose in the antifreeze. I do have the hot water tank bypass so thats a plus. First pop up and a little overwhelmed right now so thanks again.