Poll: Food in the pup - What do you do?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by BikeNFish, Jan 8, 2019.

Do you store, prepare, eat or cook food in the pup? (Pick multiple if needed)

1. I eat in the pup.

79 vote(s)
    64.8%
  2. I cook in the pup.

39 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. I prepare my food in the pup.

54 vote(s)
    44.3%
  4. I store food in my pup.

79 vote(s)
    64.8%
  5. I would change my above answers when in bear country.

65 vote(s)
    53.3%
  6. I do NOT change anything when in bear country.

7 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Food is NEVER allowed in the pup at any time.

11 vote(s)
    9.0%
  8. Other

13 vote(s)
    10.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DanLee

DanLee Member

I generally cook outside unless the weather dictates otherwise, mainly because I like using my Coleman three-burner white gas stove. As for bears, I figure we already smell like food to them so I keep a couple cans of bear spray handy as well as something more potent.

Bowman3d likes this.
  2. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

I will cook outside if possible. I have an outside stove. But the wind is always blowing out here on the desert and it keeps blowing the flame out. So it is inside most of the time. I fix breakfast inside and easy stuff for lunch. Chili beans and/or Hot Dogs for dinner. Sometimes an MRE or freeze-dried meal from Walmart. I'm not a gourmet eater and I'm not out there to make fancy meals. Just feed me!

BikeNFish likes this.
  3. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

I have heated a couple things in a toaster oven and made coffee in PUP, is about all. Aside from that, food is never STORED in the pup, and I might eat a snack but all trash goes into TV at night. Reminds me of the spring break trip I took, when next door neighbors left their cooler outside at night, the old fashioned latch kind. They whined about the raccoon who stole their entire bacon package, the next morning. Awww. They live and learn. I wouldn't dream of leaving a bacon package outdoors, either inside or out of a cooler. I'd rather open and shut the TV doors a few extra times.

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Sacrilege! What the hell is wrong with them?!? Bacon should be kept in a SAFE! I hope the rangers were called and they were arrested for bacon neglect! ;)

5. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We reside and camp in bear country and strangely, we usually have bacon with us. During daylight hours, we have most of our food
    in a cooler or a rough tote container and in camp. We're normally are gone all day. Seems night is better for scrounging animals and it then goes into the topper. Maybe all the mutts running around helps?? Most of our camping is boon-docking.

6. Arlyn Aronson

Have you tried Neuske's??? [CK] Hummmmmmmm We don't eat bacon much, but its the only one we do.

7. BikeNFish

No, but I'm willing to if you bring some here to MN!

The best bacon I ever had was when we used to buy half a pig from a local farmer.

[​IMG]

(I have now officially hijacked my own thread...o_O)

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  8. Arlyn Aronson

Neuske's is a Wisconsin company. We don't eat it much but its the only bacon we buy. Are you sure its not sold in the cities?

https://www.nueskes.com/

9. BikeNFish

Nope, none here. The closest Nueske's is a three hour drive away.

I do have a local shop about a five minute drive away to get my fix when I am having bacon withdrawals. I'll have to assume that my local shop's bacon is a low grade generic substitute.

10. Arlyn Aronson

I emailed Neuske's and asked if anyone was retailing there bacon in the cities. I'm a farm boy from SD, a Neuske's search is worth it.

11. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it, bacon and other clingy stinky food does not get cooked inside the camper.

12. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I smoke my own.

13. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Always bring bacon when we camp. It’s just the way it is.. camping .. bacon, bacon .. camping. The two go together perfectly.

We only store snacks in bins in the pup. We do prepare food in the pup. The fridge is used only for drinks. The rest of the food is in the cooler or lockable bin under the bunk. If we are in bear country then the coolers and bins get locked in the TV. We don’t cook in the pup because the stove sucks, just boil water on it. I much prefer my Coleman white gas stoves to cook on.

14. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

I can count on one hand the actual meals we've had in the PUP. It's usually been when we've gotten to someplace late and my partner has taken pity on his cook and we get some fast food.

We usually do have drinks and snacks and such though, as we spend lots of evenings playing games in the PUP. If we are in bear country, all of that stuff goes into the truck or bear box when we are done with it.

The only "food" I store in the PUP are my spices and condiments that don't require refrigeration. That part doesn't change whether we are in bear country or not.

The reality, as we see it, is that if a bear wants in, he's gonna get in, and we're never going to be bear proof. We just try to make it as non-enticing as practicable, and don't worry about it after that.

15. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

We took out the OEM stove and use a one and/or two burner Coleman stove outside. We do have a small coffee maker and a toaster we can use inside for
    bad weather. Pictured is a typical indoor meal vs a typical outdoor meal for us. Most of the places we go to are in black bear country, and we have seen bears in camp on multiple occasions. We don't burn trash in the firepit, or dump grease in the weeds. All food is stored in totes or coolers in the SUV except a few drinks and sealed cold items in the refrigerator/freezer. We run the camp trash to the dumpster every night before turning in.

IMG_1198.JPG 10211967652960223.jpg

PointyCamper likes this.
  16. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

17. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

With soft sided pups we cooked/ate/stored more outside, due to food smells on canvas and the fact that our camping was limited to the nicer weather.

We store(d) food inside the Aliner, hybrid, and TT all the time - except with the hybrid in big bear country out west.

We cooked/ate a more inside with the hybrid, Aliner (hard sided pup, no canvas), and travel travel - but if we're making something with strong odors (like butter chicken in the instant pot) we'll always set that up out side. And of course we always use the grill outside.

Doing more inside is primarily due to the fact that we're now camping in all temps/conditions. If it is nice out side we'll often eat outside. Our TT is just a tiny little apartment on wheels that we can park in cool places.

BTW, we're prepping for a 3+ wheel trip south, heading out later this week. Yesterday my wife told me she wants to bring the Espresso maker and frother I got her for Christmas. This is in addition to the Keurig Mini we normally use in camper and the pour-over setup we use when boondocking. Our list of appliances is becoming embarrassing. Espresso maker, Keurig, Instant Pot, rice maker - plus the built-in micro/convection of course. To think we spent decades doing just backpacking and wilderness canoe camping.... ;)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  18. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Ok, a little off subject but, I like to purchase my bacon at the Reading Terminal Market in Philly. I get it from the the Amish. I believe it's called Deihls Meats? Anyway, I purchase Maple glazed bacon, Applewood smoked bacon, Hickory smoked bacon and Turkey bacon. At least two pounds of each. You can never have enough bacon on hand!!!!

Best is when I cook the maple glazed bacon at a campsite the whole area smells like maple glazed bacon!!!

19. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

24627C36-54FC-4B10-9D10-480B6A90BDBB.jpeg I go boondocking only and in remote black bear habitats. I do not cook in the pup or eat in the pup. Food is stored in cooler and dry goods in truck. All cooking is done in chuckbox. And if bear wants chuckbox go for it. Hell of a lot cheaper than the pup.

20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We keep a clean camp. Trash is never left unattended, day or night; it's only outside when we're actually cooking, and we take it to the dumpster after each meal. If we're going to be cooking outside, we usually leave the camp stove set up, but there are exceptions. If necessary, we stow that in the TV after each meal too. We leave a water jug out, unless that is also prohibited.
    In the places we camp, it's not only black bear that may be about, but ravens, squirrels, chipmunks, foxes, coyotes, mountain lions, raccoons, skunks, badgers, etc. We've watched ravens pick apart campsites on more than one occasion, including things such as charcoal.

Toedtoes likes this.