Poll: Food in the pup - What do you do?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by BikeNFish, Jan 8, 2019.

Do you store, prepare, eat or cook food in the pup? (Pick multiple if needed)

1. I eat in the pup.

79 vote(s)
    64.8%
  2. I cook in the pup.

39 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. I prepare my food in the pup.

54 vote(s)
    44.3%
  4. I store food in my pup.

79 vote(s)
    64.8%
  5. I would change my above answers when in bear country.

65 vote(s)
    53.3%
  6. I do NOT change anything when in bear country.

7 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Food is NEVER allowed in the pup at any time.

11 vote(s)
    9.0%
  8. Other

13 vote(s)
    10.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Are you sure its three hours away?? Below is the response from Nueske's. Our little coop here stocks it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello,

Thank you for contacting Nueske's and your interest in our products.

Nueske's products are offered at many chain retailers in the Twin Cities such as the following:
    - Kowalski's Market
    - Oxendale's Supermarket
    - Cub Foods
    - Lunds & Byerlys
    - Jerry's Foods

We do suggest calling ahead before making the trip to make sure the particular location offers the specific product that you are looking for.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you!

MacKenzie Kaat
    Sales Administrator
    Nueske's Applewood Smoked Meats

BikeNFish likes this.
  2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I'll look for it next time I'm out for groceries!

3. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Back in the 80's we once tied a trash bag up and left it hanging a few feet off the ground during the middle of the day while we were out hiking in the Shenandoah. Returned to find the bag on the ground with a skunk inside the bag, rooting around. After staring at it for awhile from a distance, we realized he wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. I crept up to the bag and started pulling it away. A tug-of-war ensued that I somehow managed to win without getting sprayed. Never forgot that one... ;)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  4. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Mmm Nueske's bacon.... actually it's tough to beat any of their products!

5. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

Ok, so I'm now getting a funny image now of Ravens and crows, having stolen some charcoal sitting around the fire and toasting the marshmallows. Am I off my rocker, or just been pupping too much? What do Ravens do with charcoal, pray tell?

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

:smiley: Ravens are very smart, but I don't think they've discovered how to build fires, thank goodness. They just scattered the charcoal over a wide area. The broke into a foam cooler, poked a hole in the lid of every yogurt container and tossed it, and left with the cold cuts. They will punch holes in soft water jugs, but I saw them walk around, multiple times, 2 liter bottles of diet soda left on the table. Clamshell containers of muffins are simple for them to open.
    They will unzip zippers, as some backpackers have discovered.
    At Grand Canyon, the ravens have a fairly regular schedule to scope out the campground in the morning.
    Other animals have developed habits of watching and searching the campgrounds. A few years ago, a friend and I had sites across the road from each other at Chiricahua NM. She got her tent, etc. all packed in her vehicle, and I saw her walk off to the restroom. Before she was very far from her campsite, I saw the tail of a coati searching for crumbs, etc. (The coatis and been in the wash behind my site the night before, I could hear them chittering as they looked for insects and such.)

7. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

I'll try not to judge your "rocker" one way or the other,,, [8D] but when you are cooking Nueske's bacon over charcoals. Everyone shows up from the smell.....

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  8. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

I once had a wild boar get into my ice chest in the middle of the night (I heard the creaking of the lid but figured it was someone getting a drink from a cooler and I was in a big group). Anyways someone was nice enough to put the none from the T-bone on my ice chest. I did the only appropriate thing, drove into town and bought pork chops.

BikeNFish likes this.
  9. ROLLERSKATER

ROLLERSKATER New Member

My camping has been in tents for years. I have slept in a tent one night and heard a zipping sound and then saw a raccoon a few feet from me,inside my tent inside a food box eating graham crackers. I am likely to be more careful in my pup because of it.

neighbormike likes this.
  10. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Where is not bear country? Manhattan? I've heard of bears wander into the northern outskirts of Grand Rapids MI to raid garbage cans. There are bears around FAR Manor, but people occasionally camp at my in-laws farm (next door-ish) and haven't had any close encounters.

11. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

My wife is scared to death of bears, raccoons, badgers, wolverines, squirrels, mice, whatever getting into our food so we always cook outdoors and store our food in the TV.

12. ROLLERSKATER

ROLLERSKATER New Member

I worry about raccoons, because they are very smart and will eat almost anything. My food items are kept locked in my car. I take out just what I need and cook inside or outside. Then clean up real good. This works good for me.

13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I have many raccoons around my house but have never seen a raccoon in the Mountains of NH or ME. I think that foxes and bobcats eat them .

14. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

Well my DD has snuck food into the PUP at night. Snacks, in her bed. In general we cook outside unless the weather is really contrary. In that case, we might boil up some rice or pasta. We have had bears in our camp in the Adirondacks, at a campground that supplies bear lockers at every site.

We are pretty conscientious about keeping camp clean. All food and trash go into the TV. Even though I have a Yeti cooler and locks, I am unwilling to test out the "bear-proof" guarantee. I don't want it to get all scratched up. Drinks stay in the propane fridge in the PUP, without incident.

ROLLERSKATER likes this.
  15. ROLLERSKATER

ROLLERSKATER New Member

I tent camped on the Mississippi River at Goose Island Campground in Wisconsin. It is well known there that raccoons will unzip your tent and you have to lock it or tie the zipper-pull to keep secure it. The raccoons will walk into your camp area (Even when you there) like a pet dog. Some campers think they are cute and feed them scraps. You have to scream at them to let them know how you feel, if you do not want them to be a pest.

16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I have never heard of an RV fridge being a problem with critters (bears or otherwise). I would not hesitate to keep food IN the fridge IN the camper (of any type). The fridges are pretty well sealed and are not leaking smells of cooked or uncooked foods. A bottle of ketchup or a head of lettuce or a block of cheese, or a cooked lasagna, etc., in the fridge won't attract animals.

17. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

18. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Good point. Bears, along with squirrels, skunks, coyotes cougars and the like are more prevalent than one thinks. My neck of the woods is not particularly known as "Bear country", but the state wildlife agency live traps about half dozen nuisance bears a year. A lot of the areas are more suburban than rural.

19. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  20. MattF350

MattF350 Member

Guess brown bears are extinct? :p