POLL / PETS do you camp with or without them

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by jnc, May 17, 2016.

1. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Just home from 5 weeks on the road with the westies. They are great travel/campground dogs, even the little guy.

The trip included Zion, Bryce, Petrified Forest, Grand Teton,Yellowstone.....and assorted other places. Where possible, we used doggy daycare near the park so the westies could play while we hiked. Some parks allow dogs on designated trails, so they got to come along. Sometimes, the non-hikers in our group did dog sitting in camp. We find ways to make it work, because camping without them isn't as much fun.

2. Eco-Charles

Eco-Charles New Member

We camp aside from loving to camp because very few hotels will accept 3 large dogs. Leaving the dogs at a kennel is $$$, so they come with.....as they do the other 7 days a week since our pop up tower is also our work van. While it sounds all good and such, being around us almost 24/7 makes them into whining monsters when we leave them in the van. We are looking into under the counter drugs or shock treatments as a cure (kidding).

3. BushwickBill

BushwickBill Member

yea for sure she goes that's my baby, she will get excited if she sees a dog or people walk by but barks very little if she barks I pay attention something is going on. the biggest problem we have is others who's dogs are not leashed and don't respond to there owners commands my dog does not like when dogs come charging at her slow approach is fine. she still better behaved than most kids and there parents.

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I have two pugs and a black lab. The pugs are couch dogs, they stay at the pug palace when we camp. Our lab, well, her first trip is in a couple of weeks, so we'll see. We're going to go down the Denali Highway, so she'll have plenty of open space to run and burn off lab energy.

5. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

They go with us. The new dog is major pain in the butt but he goes since he was 2 months old. He's neurotic and a 20lb yorkie! Freak of nature.

We can't leave them alone or they bark. Ticks me off but that's how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. R00

R00 Active Member

Ha. My popup is a rolling convertible doghouse. Unless I'm on a wheeling trip all these guys go along...[​IMG]

Hikeswithcats likes this.
  7. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

Our dog does the same job in the campsite as at home: keep the critters away.

8. shardtke11

shardtke11 New Member

We are working on taking our 2 dogs with the suggestions and advice from people on the PUP! Prior to the purchase of our pup, neither Lillie (40lb mixed?) or Lulu (14lb Chi/Jack Russell mix) had been use to a leash. Our trips had been mostly to SIL cabin on Logan Martin Lake in Alabama. They ran free there and loved playing with the 3 labs that are full time residents in the area. We have a fenced yard and a doggie door at home.
    We first got them use to a leash in the yard...then away from home around people. We then took them on a 3 night trip at a CG close to home. So far we haven't taken the dogs and our 2 granddaughters at the same time. We are working up to that. I'm following this post for sure! Thanks for posting :)!

Sherry

9. jwdogman@yahoo.com

jwdogman@yahoo.com Member

I can't imagine camping without my dog. She isn't much of a protector, being only 49 pounds, but she is a great early warning device if someone/thing gets too close the camper! Plus many times it is just her and I. The only thing that gets tricky is that most campgrounds don't allow unattended pets, but you aren't allowed to bring them into bathhouses/shower areas. How do lone campers get around this? I usually just bring her into the showers/restrooms, I've never been reprimanded yet...

10. DanO-MI

DanO-MI New Member

Our summer trip with our NTU popup will be a challenge. We are bringing our Weimaraner as they don't do well being left in a kennel. He's at my side constantly and has his own office chair in my home office! Since we will be visiting Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone, we have a couple doggie day care places lined up so we can just leave him there for the day and he can be with us all other times. I am worried about his barking at cars and other people - so we'll see how he does. He is very seldom on a leash so that is another huddle to overcome.

11. mydogteaser

mydogteaser New Member

We have two dogs- a Lab mix and a Border Collie mix. The Lab loves camping! The other dog tolerates it. He is a dog that doesn't like being outside, so camping isn't his thing. The funny thing is, he is a huge barker at home, but doesn't bark much while camping. At home he barks at other dogs, people walking by, car doors slamming, leaves falling from trees...but camping he is alert and watchful, but rarely barks. The Lab loves all things camping. Swimming, hiking, rolling in the dirt, eating delicious food; it's all his idea of heaven.

12. ftfamily

ftfamily New Member

We have an Australian Shepherd/ coonhound/something, something rescue. We didn't take him camping for the first 3 years of his life. We thought he would be high maintenance. He loves it! He is quiet and watchful. We take him as long as we aren't sight seeing. I don't like to leave my dog in the camper or the car.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

13. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Gee, I meant to post this link of a really good dog video and stupid me, i posted it in another thread.

https://vimeo.com/48177187

We camp in the Cable WI area a few times each summer to ride with da mutt. If anyone else rides those wonderful trails. do let us know. Maybe we could join you. Photos doing that, are of course on the dogs blog.

14. bucksnort52

bucksnort52 New Member

I think we all ask ourselves the same question overtime we go camping . If you have the energy and your hound is somewhat behaved then I say take them when ever possible.

15. CamperJenn

CamperJenn Member

Going camping this weekend with 3 of our dogs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. budlight

budlight Member

We camp with our chihuahua (not a barker) who sleeps 90% of the time. We also bring the kids pet rats (very friendly) if we stay over 3 nights. Left a mouse alone for 5 nights at home that didn't work, the family hasn't forgiven me yet

17. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

Our two older Shepherds sty home due to their health. Ekko has bad hips and Stryker has three legs. He got out of the house and took himself for a walk and was hit by a car. Our Pit Bull is the sweetest little beast but we leave her home because of the stigma of the breed.

18. SquishySaurus

SquishySaurus New Member

I plan to camp with one of my dogs. My senior beagle, Ellie, went last year but didn't handle it well. She seemed very anxious and nervous and barked a lot, and would get very anxious if I was out of site of her and just didn't handle it terribly well, so for her health she'll be staying wit a friend when we camp - super hard decision but ultimately what is best. My 1yo pup will be coming with us as long as he handles it well. So far he has gone on a short "test it out" trip and did fine with barking and such but he hates heat - luckily we have AC!

19. kassiemom

kassiemom New Member

we bring our dog and every time i curse him and swear next time he's staying home. but alas we bring him again and again . lol He is a bear of a chocolate lab and takes up most of the floor. he barks (even with his new bark collar) he wants to pee and go for a leisurely walk at 5 am. he doesn't allow us both to go into the store at the same time. lol BUT we love him and we made a commitment to him knowing we were campers when we got him as a puppy. That being said we are leaving him this coming weekend because we want to bring our daughter to the local race track to do some fun stuff for kids so no dogs allowed...

20. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

We bring 2 Greyhounds and a lurcher, total of 160 lbs of dog flesh, when we go camping. The Greyhounds are good campers. The lurcher, mix of sighthound & herding breed, can be a PITA. However, they all love the camper so, as long as it isn't too hot or we have 110v to run A/C, we bring them along. They did stay home last year when we went on a cross country trip & will stay home this fall when we head to Black Hills, Yellowstone, Grand Teton & Rocky Mountains. The idea of trying to walk hounds when there is potential of having bison, elk, etc. in the campground is just too daunting. The lurcher in particular would go nutso. On all our other trips it's been relatively easy. Only real complication is that I will only walk two at a time because the three combined outweigh me.

Will say that the dogs are part of the reason I went with a hardsided PUP. The Aliner isn't nearly as roomy as a canvas PUP, but we can leave the dogs in it & go biking or kayaking without worrying. They just sleep in they're bed, which would otherwise be a dinette, and reports from neighboring campsites is that the dogs don't make a peep. If they hadn't seen me out & about with the dogs on leash, they'd never have known we had dogs.