Pop out fan

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Nathan Dowdell, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Nathan Dowdell

Nathan Dowdell New Member

So my the fan for my pop out died. Anyone nodded them and put in a pc style fan? The $60 cost is a bit much for a fan and light imo..

Attached Files:

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I bought the Amazon one also, not tested but seam to work well. Of your handy, you could take the old one apart. Maybe just needs cleaning and oil.

4. Nathan Dowdell

Thanks for the suggestion. After tax delivery and exchange it's still a $60 fan

I might do that when I'm not on the road.

5. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Does it have to be DC? Little desk top fans push a lot more air and cost a lot less

6. Nathan Dowdell

Its wired for dc

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

You don't have Prime? :shocked:[:O]:shocked:[:O]:shocked: Just kidding. I know some people don't. :tongue:

I just noticed you're in Canada. Maybe check Amazon's Canadian site?

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

You could always install an invertor to supply AC to the fan. DC fans won't run on AC and vise vsrsa

9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I hate those little fans. Barely move enough air for me. I use O2Cool camping fans. They can run off DC since they use D batteries as well as an adapter. I made a Y splitter for the power socket so I can plug the light in and the fan at the same time. These are 10" fans that move a fair amount of air. I picked up a 12v power socket and a power cord with a 5.5 x 21 plug on it to fit the fan. I can move the fan where I need it and I also have a bunch of AC adapters with the same size plug that provide 12v 1amp power so I am covered no matter what the situation.

Walmart sells the fans for $15.

My main bunk fan is an O2Cool canopy fan but they appear to have discontinued it. I really like it as it had a separate battery pack so the fan itself is super light and has decent magnets as well so it can hang from the pole with ease.

10. pasobuff

pasobuff Active Member

I have a fan/light combo for sale for $20- plus shipping from NY.....

11. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I had two of them that came with my POPUP trailer... The fan in both died about the same time about six months later...

I went with the O2COOL 10-inch fan WALMART that works on 120VAC with xfmr, 12VDC with plug, and has internal D-CELLs... This is one heck of fan... Sometimes we heat with one of those low profile oil filled electric heaters and this fan sets behind it and blows out alot of nice warm air...

[​IMG]

We still use the snap in light/fan unit in the tent bed ends just for the lamp... I am thinking however to get the one that has LED lights in it as this has one of those automotive incandescent bulbs in it and gets very hot. I suspect the heat from the bulbs is what kills the fan so quick. Everyone has had short fan life using these light/fan combos...

Of course nowadays you can find portable lights everywhere using leds... WALMART had a couple I picked up that has a light in the end and large bank of leds on the side for light up the area. Also has a couple of magnets in it to snap up against something metal... This was in the tool section to carry around in your tool box I guess...Works great around our trailer for quick lighting...
    [​IMG]
    Google image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

pasobuff likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

I like the fan lights, but I use them as a fan . Haven't used the light part a lot. Mostly had them on when working in the camper. They seem to distribute the A.C. very well.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Just a thought... Maybe a drop or 2 of some light oil on the motor bearings could free it up.
    I'm a big fan of modding things so modding with a PC fan would be a nice project. These guys have ton to choose from. Lots of sizes & types, High flow or quiet. you choose.
    http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g36/Fans.html?id=vpandiSs

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. Sjm9911

Agreed, my f reind had a inflatable green house. He needed me to swap out the cord from the broken fan. I took the old fan apart, cleaned it up and some oil it was good as new. Now he's got 2 fans.

15. Nathan Dowdell

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.
    When I get home I'll take it apart and see if it can be fixed, if not I might mod or replace. Just looking to see if anyone had done it before.