Pop-Up Got Stolen

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by zinger60, Jun 15, 2010.

1. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Northern IN
    I just read an interesting ad on Craigslist. Someone had posted that their pop-up had gotten stolen from their driveway in the middle of the night. He mentioned that he had posted it for sale on Craigslist and a man had come to look at it the day before it was stolen. He kind of thinks the man had something to do with it. Anyway, it makes me wonder how easy it is to steal a pop-up and if there are any measures that can be taken to make it less easy to steal.

2. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We close the coupler release handle and put a lock through it.

I don't worry about someone stealing it too much but it never hurts to take a little precaution.

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I have the coupler lock shown in the upper left corner here:

Masterlock Coupler Lock

I don't need it at home because I keep the PUP in the garage but I do use it when camping.

4. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

Aug 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I keep mine locked all the time except when I am hitching and unhitching. It also adds a safety feature when towing, I think.

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Even though we store ours in the garage we always keep the hitch lock on it.

6. tadwatson

tadwatson New Member

May 19, 2010
    I use a hitch lock like this one:
    [​IMG]

I also lock the coupler release handle over the hitch lock.

No one is taking my baby!

7. jonzr

jonzr New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    We ALWAYS have a hitch lock through ours. We keep it on an unprotected side yard. It does go through my mind now and then. If someone really wants it though, all they need is a masterkey (read boltcutters). It would not be hard or loud.

8. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

Dec 16, 2008
    Chester County PA
    When I had my popup for sale on Craigslist I was going to run a tow chain around it and a fence post to deter it from being stolen. Then I realized I had an extra car in the driveway in front of it so I just locked those car doors.

9. scooper

scooper New Member

May 7, 2010
    Wow. I think that may be my worst nightmare.

10. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

Jun 7, 2010
    Reno, NV
    One of my neighbors had one stolen several years ago. I just got mine but because of where the door is on it I use one of those dollies to spin it around so we walk in from the driveway. The hitch faces away from the road and is locked, as is the top, and it is usually blocked in by cars.
    Hopefully it won't wander off!

11. FSHNFOOL76

FSHNFOOL76 New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Sound Beach, N.Y.
    I keep a lock on mine all the time. In the driveway, while towing and at the CG.

My father said that 'a lock just keeps an honest person honest.'

12. bcrewcaptain

bcrewcaptain New Member

Sep 14, 2008
    my .02
    a hitch lock on a pop up will work about as well as a "stop" sticker on it...
    as light as most pop ups are, a thief will just hook the chains up and go....
    We had an issue locally were the thieves were using an electric golf cart to swipe small trailers and pop ups, they'd just hook the chains up and quietly take off around the corner, hook up the trailer there and go...they ended up with around 20 units before they were caught on camera if I recall...

Stang65fst likes this.
  13. laaddis

laaddis New Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Sorry to hear your PUP was stolen [:(] Did you get the license plate of his vehicle or anything that might help find the guy who looked at it the night before? I hope that you can locate it and get it back.

I keep mine in my back yard behind a 6ft. fence. I have a large gate I have to open to get it out, and it takes two of us to open the gate (it needs new hinges). When it is back there no one can even tell I have a PUP. Used to keep the TT back there before I sold it.

14. jmcdtucson

jmcdtucson New Member

May 21, 2010
    Interesting question. I never really considered any one stealing it, but it is far easier to steal than the cabover camper that i used to have (needed jacks to lift it, stored in the garage).

I agree the hitch lock won't be much of a deterrent, but then again most thieves aren't the brightest so it might work.

Sounds like what's needed are the the wheel locks parking police use to immobilize cars.

15. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

Jun 7, 2010
    Reno, NV
    It's tough to keep somebody from stealing something if they are motivated. I think you need to be more difficult to rob than other people near by so you do not fall victim to a simple crime of opportunity. I have cars locked up, doors locked, and I leave lights on outside the house at night. What was the old joke about "... I don't have to run faster than the bear, just faster than you do".
    My insurance agent told me I could cover myself for theft, fire, and damage for about $80 a year, I need to get him the VIN. I need to go see him as soon as I can.
    I hope it shows up again and you can get back to normal.

16. Chewie48

Chewie48 New Member

May 6, 2009
    Columbiana, OH
    Sorry to hear that. I typically don't put my hitch lock on when in my driveway. I guess this kind of makes me think twice.

17. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I agree that if someone really, really, really wants to get in your house or steal something it is almost impossible to secure things in a way that absolutely will stop them. But, as noted by others, thieves are generally opportunists and like the path of least resistance. A lock or an alarm or any other device diminishes opportunity and increases resistance.

18. hsuehwhite

hsuehwhite New Member

May 13, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    We have our PUP stored in our driveway with a hitch lock. I worry as well that even with the hitch lock someone could easily back-up, kick out the chucks and be gone in no time at all.

Aneemal33 likes this.
  19. hakrjak

hakrjak Member

May 20, 2010
    I've heard of people also using wheel locks to make it even harder to steal...

My question is: What do thieves do with stolen pop-ups!?! if there a big market for reselling them or chopping them up for parts!?!

When I lived in California, thieves would steal expensive luxury cars, and drive them to San Francisco into containers, which would be shipped to China for about .50 cents on the dollar. I have never thought about what thieves would do with stolen PUPs though!?! haha

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

20. KateTheKamper

KateTheKamper Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Sorry to hear your had your PUP stolen. If it was mine, that would read..."beloved PUP". It would be a sad, sad day. I've never considered locking mine up because it's usually in a storage barn. For the past couple of weeks though, it's been on the lawn next to the garage because I've been doing so much camping. Now you have me wondering....