Pop up newbe

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Stella Blue, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Stella Blue

Stella Blue New Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Hi guys! I've been reading all your stuff for a while. Finally what I hope isnthe right pop up for us came into my life. It's reportedly a 1995 aurora, but I can't figure out who actually makes it! We are planning to pull it with a 2018 Chevy pick up. We live in NC and can't wait to get going! Any words of wisdom, encouragement, or warning would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody☺

2. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

According to Google, it is manufactured by Coachman and Greetings from NEPA!

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Welcome to the portal from Michigan! I would enjoy seeing pics of the Aurora.

4. Stella Blue

Stella Blue New Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Thanks for the info and the welcome it's been raining here ,so it's in the down position. But I'm happy to post some pics when it's sunny. I guess I will have to get over the rain tho.... previous owner is a neighbor and says no problems with any leaks. But I'm still getting used to the idea. We have 2 little boys and wanted to upgrade from the tent.

5. Stella Blue

Stella Blue New Member

Jun 12, 2018
    I do have one BIG fear. Im afraid of the top smashing down and hurting someone. I've read A Lot about options for DOY safety poles. Amy thoughts? And to be honest I can't find many stories of it actually ever happening. I plan to take it to a local guys who fixes pop ups and ask him to show and explain the lift mechanism to me while he gives it a once over

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome to the Portal from N/W Fl Panhandle. Congrats on the NTU PUP. NC has some wonderful scenery and places to make memories. Usually (not needed on some) there is a 2 support 1 on the front corner and the other on the rear on the opposite corner. Some people make the supports out of different materials, the originals are a lite u tube that fits in the corner and can be bought at most large hardware stores and other places. These support the roof just in case ask the man at the POP up repair shop and I am sure he will be glad to assist. Good Luck and Happy Camping.

7. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Without knowing exactly how your lift system works, I really can't tell you how it won't come crashing down, but it's likely designed so that it won't. Sometimes the door is enough to hold the roof up if a cable breaks. Your local guy can probably give you a warm fuzzy about the safety.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Don't know about your lift system for that particular unit. On my old Jayco there were multiple wires one for each corner. I had where one cable snapped and only that side of the roof sagged a little because all the other corners were still holding things up. Now every manufacturer has their own lift system so this may or may not be the same way on yours. As mentioned a one piece door also can hold the roof as well.

9. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Member

Mar 16, 2017
    1.25 or 1.5 inch wooden dowels cut to length. 48" off the shelf from Orchard Supply fit mine perfectly. I have 2 on opposite corners.

10. Stella Blue

Stella Blue New Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Thanks guys. Does anybody have an idea what the roof might weigh? There IS an a/c unit up there too

11. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the exciting world of Pop-Up camping!

12. Stella Blue

Stella Blue New Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Thank you! We are in raleigh. Wondered if.you have any suggestions where to go in the pup. I' hoping for a campground with some water feature;river, lake, even a creek to splash in. Maybe even something kid friendly ,like a playground or something. We would travel anywhere in NC or even VA if you have a suggestion that would be great.

13. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Hi neighbor, we live in Chapel Hill and find Jordan Lake quite nice. They have water and 30 amp hookups at most sites. Since you are in Raleigh it is a straight shot West out US64 and makes a quick weekend getaway. We were just there this past Saturday and got a great site in the Crosswinds section B. Otherwise there are so many great campgrounds in NC and VA to explore and there is a campground review section with some reviews worth checking.

All the best and enjoy!

See: http://www.popupportal.com/forums/north-carolina.338/

And this local 2017 thread: http://www.popupportal.com/threads/favorite-camping-spots-east-coast.115363/

14. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Welcome from the West Virginia mountains

15. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    6ad4135f4a202c41426d6f8c1f8a6abc--welcome-to-group.jpg from the Connecticut shoreline.