Pop Up Portal - Who was the first member you met at a rally?

Discussion in 'General Rally Info' started by safetylady, Mar 14, 2012.

1. safetylady

safetylady New Member

Sep 6, 2008
    This may have already been done but I thought it would be fun.

Who was the first Pop Up Portal Member you met and where.

For us it was BENFRENCH and it was the Mystic Ct rally as least three years ago.

Guess it was a good impression because two popups and a hybrid (coming soon) we are still loving camping as well as the wonderful people we have met.

2. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Okeechobee, FL
    KampDixie... 3 yrs ago this April... Awesome folks and we have some good stories to tell. Wizfisher was next... We stole their Portal flag and hadn't even met yet... [LOL]

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Well, he wasn't the first but most defiantly the most memorable, RustyK. It was a rally at French Creek SP in PA. Rusty came over to introduce himself saying "Hi, I'm Rusty". To which I responded "I've got some WD-40 in my truck that should fix the right up". [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

4. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Aug 27, 2010
    I met Cuckoo! Frank & Wendy were camping nearby at KSP and I asked them if they were going to watch the 4th of July Fireworks and sure enough they did with all of us on FMB! [8D]

5. TheShulaShack

TheShulaShack New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    same here...our favorite rally organizer Frank and his wonderful wife Wendy were the first people we met, back in Lake Kissimmee with all those catepillars!

6. bjjohnstone

bjjohnstone New Member

Sep 1, 2009
    First members I met were at last year's first Ohio rally....donnie_08 and kc8pny. They were both already set up when I pulled in to the campground. I'll never forget how nervous I was about the whole experience. Not only was I putting on a rally when I'd never even been to one before. Then meeting these new people whom I'd only met online! But, what a great time with some great people!!

And what a great time to plug this year's Ohio Rally - Sept 14-16, Area D, Indian Lake SP!!!

7. BaylorWaylor

BaylorWaylor Member

May 27, 2009
    Whitehouse, Tennessee
    The first Portal member that I met was Bigdad, at a rally in Kentucky. I haven't been the same since.

8. cuckoo

cuckoo Active Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Okeechobee, FL
    All you guys are the best... Can't wait to hang out next week... [;)]

9. Kdugan

Kdugan Member

Jul 8, 2010
    The first people we meet at a rally was Jeff and Deb at the Spring Rally at Lake Kissimmee last year. Then Frank and Wendy and after that it is a blur. Can't wait till this spring rally in a couple weeks to see everyone again. [:D]

10. kentuckyrascal

kentuckyrascal Member

Oct 23, 2007
    western kentucky
    Oh Cave City Ky Fall Rally, Bigdad and Mr Breadbox and then came BaylorWaylor. Then I was introduce to the Right halves of Breadbox and BaylorWaylor and kids. Then next morning we all went looking for the last couple of the group, then the stories started and haven't ended yet. [:)C]

11. NH-popper

NH-popper Boldly going camping!

Mar 10, 2010
    Mercman - in a traffic jam near Worcester, Ma over an hour from the 2010 Fisherman's rally! Those stickers are handy. :)

12. chrismarques

chrismarques New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    I think I met Cuckoo and Wizfisher just as they were stealing the flag! [LOL]

13. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Fishersville, VA
    KampDixie for us too. We camped right beside them. There may or may not have been a wheelie while setting up..no one has any pictures, so I say it didn't happen! Also, that was the same your Cuckoo left the fire going between KampDixie and my camper...that lighter log burned all night and we couldn't go to bed!

I wonder what kind of memories we will have next week! We can't wait for the FL Spring Rally to get back together with these great folks!

14. ScouterWife

ScouterWife Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Jun 5, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    That would be Beerlifter at an Oklahoma Rally...and then he promptly tried to kill me off with his version of The Amazing Race! [LOL]
    Can't wait to see what his twisted mind has come up for the rally in April!!

15. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Central Wisconsin
    That would be Gumbias, at the 1st WI rally, 3 years ago at Yukon Trails CG in Lyndon Station. Had a great time and what a feast we had.

16. safetylady

safetylady New Member

Sep 6, 2008
    We sure have met wonderful people!!

17. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

Jul 25, 2010
    We went right to the top. The first person we met was PopUpSteve at French Creek last year.

18. jeffanddeb

jeffanddeb New Member

Nov 6, 2010
    The first people we met were Kamp Dixie and Russ and Shawna right after tornado's that were too close for comfort came by as we were setting up. Looking forward to the spring rally next week and meeting more great people [:D]

19. candleems

candleems Member

Jul 12, 2006
    South Central PA
    Bruce and Lynne. Bruce was wearing a shirt that said WrongWay (I believe he is also SleepsInLakes, she: NoDuh). He was sitting on Brenda and Tim's (TheWunders and CampTux, I think) picnic table and volunteered "helpful" backing tips (read heckling) when I backing in at Gifford Pinchot.

20. Popup Paul

Popup Paul Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Have not made a rally yet. Hoping it's in our future. New to the rb world, but have a desire to do this some day