Pop Up Stolen

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by socal chris, Apr 18, 2016.

1. socal chris

socal chris New Member

Jul 5, 2015
    Hey all,
    My 2008 Rockwood Freedom 1950 was stolen this past Friday. We normally keep it locked up in the driveway, but we are having some landscaping done, and I moved it out to the street for the day. When I came home from work it was still there, but when I came out to pull it back to the driveway it was gone. I had chalked the tires and even had a coupler lock on it. There were no pieces of the lock on the ground, so I am guessing they just hooked it up to their truck with chains and took off. It is so depressing. My little daughters and my wife and I had purchased the pup less than a year ago and we had some great trips. The really depressing part is the little campout memories book inside that we had started with entries from my two little girls. Also my wife had an old card game from her deceased grandmother with hand written notes that cannot be replaced. I am holding out hope that the police will find it, but as each day passes I am getting less hopeful. We haven't told our little girls yet. I am not looking forward to that conversation because they are going to be devastated.

Just today I read about someone putting down their stabilizer jack just to slow down the thieves. Wish I had read that last week.

Anyway, just wanted to pass along our story. Hopefully you are all vigilant with your pup security. I'll post an update if anything new comes up.

2. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    I am so sorry to hear about this...Hope they catch and hang the ######

3. 64osby

64osby Member

May 11, 2015
    Really sorry to hear. The personal items are the things that hurt. The camper can always be replaced.

Hoping the police find the SOB(s) and you get back the important things.

If not, hope insurance treats you right so you can go make more memories.

4. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Jul 30, 2013
    So sorry about this. Scour Craigs List, as its probable the thieves will put it on there to sell.

5. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    This happened last year to Dave Livingston on the FB page. Due to the members on there he was able to recover it. It was some migrating construction workers who had it in an apartment complex if I remember correctly.

So sorry for your loss. Hopefully it is temporary.

6. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    What area? Post some pictures, I'll keep an eye out if in the San Diego area!!

7. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Mar 7, 2012
    My TV was broken into while I was at my DS Hockey game. They stole a computer and some other important to me stuff (including my briefcase).

The upside is they dumped much of the memorabilia on the side of the road, which I was able to recover.

As Haybale mentioned, post some pics and we can be watching for it (for Sale stuff).

8. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Yes, post pics and location are important. That helped in Dave's recovery.

9. hrhchuck235

hrhchuck235 Member

Mar 26, 2014
    I'm hoping law enforcement officers are able to find the filthy creeps who stole your Popup. And, that when they do, it's still unopened and in one piece.

We've always been a bit blase about keeping ours locked down, both because we've "heard" that Popups are rarely stolen and also because we've thought that filthy creeps won't be able to figure out or won't take the time to figure out how to set it up and make everything work.

So, thank you for the heads up. We will be on high alert and adding more security measures.

Please let us know if (WHEN!) it's recovered.

10. socal chris

socal chris New Member

Jul 5, 2015
    I don't have pictures on this computer, but here is a flyer for the pup that looks exactly like mine.

It was stolen from about where the 405 and 22 freeways cross in North Orange County.

Thank you all for the kind words and hopefully somebody sees something that will lead to us finding the pup. I am definitely searching Craigslist,etc.

Attached Files:

11. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    What terrible news. I just HATE thieves, and to steal someone's camper is just despicable. I live in San Diego and will also keep my eye out and also scour Craigslist.

12. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    Are there any identifying marks or mods you can describe? I drive and camp a lot and will have an eye out, but without more ino there is nothing I can do. There are a couple rockwoods on CL around here, but no way to tell if it is yours or not.

What's the plate number?

13. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Damn, sorry to hear that. I hope you have better luck when it comes to finding it. Mine lives in my driveway as well but it is turned 90 degrees so the tongue is facing into the yard plus they would have to negotiate around a large maple tree to get to that. On top of that, I have a coupler lock, a coupler handle padlock with the pin hidden inside, I lower all my stabs and and I remove the jack wheel/plate and lock that away. There was a conversation on here a few years ago about PUPs being stolen and a member who was/is a cop said he had never heard of a single one; it doesn't happen often. This must have been a crime of opportunity.

14. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Mar 7, 2012
    do you have the VIN??

if it shows up at a rally...we could send out the rescue squad??? [:D]

15. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Murray, have you put this notice on Facebook? And the license plate number of your pup? I'd be happy to share this info on my FB page. Popupportal also has a FB page where you could post this. I really hope you get it back soon!

16. creynoldsmiz

creynoldsmiz Member

Oct 14, 2015
    another thing that you could do and that I do, wrap the chains around the tongue nice and tight, and get a good lock and lock them together. Prevents being able to just be able to "chain up" and drive away. its not 100% effective, but def could help ward an opportunistic theif

17. Scotia 55

Scotia 55 Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Agreed! Good point with the chain. For effective security you need to think in layers. Can't steal your pup unless they defeat every layer. In many cases once they see this, they will move along as they are unprepared or your efforts will increase their risk of detection. Coupler lock, stabs down, chalked, wheel lock, chain through your wheel attached to something, etc......Get creative and think difficult.

18. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    My popup is in a single wide driveway, and I always keep a car ( usually my TV ) parked in front of it. So they will have to steal that first, but then I suppose they will have an easy way to tow the popup. Oh well, there is only so much you can do.

19. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    the advertisement is 90% of the security..........

[​IMG]

I hope you get it back!

20. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

Feb 1, 2012
    Man, this is a real bummer to hear! Gosh, our heart goes out to you and your family as we feel your pain. Sigh...

We have an acre property and keep the pup out back where no one can see it. But as other say, layers of security help a lot. Above and beyond various locks, a division of my company does security alarms so that sticker is in two windows. I also have this sticker by the door.

[​IMG]