pop up support for a skamper 080s

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by uni_boy15, Jul 22, 2009.

1. uni_boy15

uni_boy15 New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Allenspark CO
    So I may get some slack for being a slide in guy on a tow pop up forum but the way I see it, my pop up slide in is a close cousin to your towed rigs. So my problem started with some damage to the roof so I decided to replace the roof supports on my camper. that turned into a way bigger job than I thought. Anyway on the lift mechanism there is a top tube and inside that top tube there is a hexagonal rod that mounts to a "L" shaped bracket. The "L" bracket it what connects the roof to the top tube of the lift frame.

So when I crank up the top, the "L" bracket rotates and punches up through the roof. I didn't think this was suppose to happen. any ideas on how this is suppose to work?

Do I need to take a few pictures?

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    The pictures would sure help. I would like to see it set up. My brother had a canopy on his full size truck and the roof hinged at the front. It made into a bed that was supported by two poles that attached to the front end somewhere. Dome shaped tenting end to end. Cool idea. I only got to see it open once.

3. uni_boy15

uni_boy15 New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Allenspark CO
    sorry I was out of town all day yesterday so I couldn't get pictures but I did some thinking while I was driving. could this hex rod be some sort of torsion bar? Thats the only thing I could come up with... if I was engineering this thing I would have just put a spring in the lift somewhere but maybe there are less parts to wear out this way. Anyway, any ideas?

4. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

Jan 13, 2008
    Years ago a picture was worth a thousand words. In today's economy, it's worth closer to ten thousand.

Got pix?