PopUp Camping Tips

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by LanternLightFarm, Apr 30, 2017.

1. LanternLightFarm

LanternLightFarm New Member

May 16, 2016
    Thought we would share some of our PUP camping tips with everyone, let us know if you have more ideas or thoughts!

2. FunSeekers

FunSeekers New Member

May 17, 2017
    St Petersburg, FL
    Thanks some great ideas!

3. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Red Wing, MN
    I don't like speaking ill of my ex-wife. We still get along fine, and she is the mother of my children. But, when we were married, this was one thing that she could never learn. We had to bring so much crap with us camping, and it was always a pain in the rear to find places to put it. For example, we had to bring an electric toaster, electric coffee maker, etc., and then also bring a stove top toaster and peculating coffee pot (on the stove) in case we had no electricity. I'm now divorced, and just got an even smaller camper than we had. I'm still in the process of loading it up (just picked it up a couple days ago), but I'm not too concerned about running out of space. In face, I'm thinking I might have a problem with not filling up the space enough, and things shifting around on me.

Good tips in the video! Really comes down to only bringing what you need, not what you might need. A stove top toaster is fine for me, and I have no plans to carry a larger electric one. I've got rid of my electric coffee pot at home and use a french press, and I plan to use the same camping. What I really like is the collapsible cookware. I didn't even know those existed! I'll have to search for those. Do you have a link where they can be purchased?

Wilkywoods likes this.
  4. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    I hadn't thought about netting to keep the shoes off the floor. I'm going to have to look at our wall space.

5. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Red Wing, MN
    Here's an item I just bought to help save space - A over the door plastic bag holder. I have a cassette toilet inside a cabinet (built in), and what better place to hang a trash bag inside the camper! Mount this on the cabinet door, hang a plastic shopping bag (which we never run out of), and close up the cabinet. Out of the way, and easy to access.

6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I just told my wife that I need to take out stuff for cold weather and leave em at home. also the crock pot that is rarely used... and another ton of stuff taken out!

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Being an old Backpacker and LD Canoe / kayaker I try to live by the rule, everything should have at least two uses and if I take something and do not use it for two trips, it gets left behind.

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I really like those silicone pans! We have almost a ridiculous amount of extra storage space in our camper, but the cabinet I like to keep the pans in is always the most crowed. I just can't bring myself to put them in a lower cabinet as it feels like storing them on the floor.

And then there are those of us that do need the heavy comforters, even in Florida in the summer. [;)]

Also, y'all have some seriously clean shoes for camping. We are a mess! I don't even like our shoes coming inside the camper, but put up with it for fear of bugs getting in them if left outside under the camper. We do need a better system for shoes. I have a shoe bag hanging by the door, but zero cooperation from family.

9. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I have a 12'box with 2 big bunks( idk kings or queens) a front stg box & a full size pickup w/extended cab. I have more room than I could ever fill. But I refuse to add a Television, Microwave, electric coffee maker/Hot plates/griddle/skillet/toaster. If I had all this stuff It would not feel like I was camping it would feel like living in a camper.

Dback2k4 likes this.
  10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I like my electric coffee maker. I have it outside on a card table. Wake up in the morning and have coffee in a few minutes before the fire is even started. Still feels like camping.

finsnspurs and Tracy D. like this.
  11. jnc

We camp 2 maybe 3 times a year where there is Shore power( Rally's ) We are boondocking the rest of the season. For coffee we have the Coleman stove top coffee maker That is running from the time the DW gets up until she has supplied everyone with in reach of the aroma & consumed a pot or 2 herself. If we stayed in more CG's I would have to get one of those ones that make 50 cups.

12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

LOL [:D] I'll bet your wife knows. [;)]

We spend the majority of our time out doing things, but I still love the comforts of home in our camper. We are getting older and just want to enjoy without dealing with the chores that we don't enjoy. I know for many people, cooking and eating is a big part of camping. For us, it's not. We don't do the dutch oven thing, or even campfire cooking, other than marshmallows if grandchildren with us. We do always have a campfire, regardless.

DH has never had a very big appetite, and I have had the majority of my stomach removed, so don't eat much either. What we do eat while camping is stuff I cook at home and freeze to be reheated in the microwave. We rarely use the toaster oven, but keep it in there just in case. We do occasionally use the crock pot to have our meal prepare itself while we are at the beach or fishing or kayaking or wherever for the day.

We do still use our old Coleman white gas stove as a stove top. We don't ever use the stop top inside because it heats up the camper too much. We have to pump the stove to keep the pressure. That's as much hardship as I want while camp cooking. [:P]

When I was growing up and when we were raising our own kids, everything got cooked outside the hard way. All those years of cooking for six people while camping, I paid my camping dues. But I do understand how some things are essential to make that "experience" for some people. For me, it is the ability to hear the night sounds as I sleep. I know one day I'll have to give that up, but for now, I'm good.

jnc likes this.
  13. jnc

Dont get me wrong I dont have anything against having that stuff in the pup except the fact that most of the time we cant use it anyway. The DW & I both have mobility issues and enjoy hanging around the CG & CS. If I need to watch Television for an important game than we have an excuse to find a Tavern. If I ever grow up & boondocking becomes to much I am sure my DW would be happy to go shopping for some new stuff for the kitchen so I can setup the camper with all the old items she replaces.

And I hear you with the need for the "night sounds". I need the open air feel of the pup and will probably drag one around longer than I should.

Orchid likes this.
  14. 1380ken

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    Where do you boondock in NH. I only know of a few spots near MT Deception.

15. jnc

I have a friend that has property in Claremont on Cat hole Rd & Weare behind Perkins Pond. But we do most of our boondocking in Pittsford VT where a different friend has property. When I was young I did a lot of camping on Tripoli road.

16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    My mom's old Jayco when they gave it to me was packed to the gills. She had to have a microwave, dorm fridge, toaster oven, and electric coffee pot along with a heater and fan. Not to mention screen house. When I acquired it I just added to it with stuff I need when dry camping and hardly ever used the stuff she packed. When I got my new to me camper I purged a lot of that excess stuff except for some (coffee pot) However when my mom comes camping with me some will have to be brought back. (Sigh). She better not ask for a microwave. That thing just takes too much room and in my opinion we really don't need it. A stove can warm food up just as easy if not better. She feels she needs and has to have her creature comforts. I on the other hand am a kayak camper and know how to work on the minimal. I do however like to keep the tool box packed with everything I may need for an emergency or repairs and always keep a tarp and bungies on hand at all times. There have been many times I was very thankful I had them.

Dan from Troup likes this.
  17. 1380ken

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I have never been to Tripoli Rd, I will check it out this summer. In my younger days we camped along Old Cherry Mountain Rd. Many good places to camp along that road.

18. jnc

I dont believe you will enjoy Tripoli Rd if it is anything like it was in the 80's & 90's. It was the goto spot for Hell raising all night long. Time do change things so I guess it wont hurt to try a mid-week trip. Can you use a camper on Old Cherry Mountain Rd? I thought Tripoli Rd was the only Dispersed Camping in NH that you can drive in with a camper.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  19. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Howdy fellow paddler. I too am a kayaker and canoeist. I mainly do 3-4 day solo or tandem and wilderness camper. I've moved over mainly to canoes now as I have tandem and solo boats. My pride and joy was an English P&H carbon fiber Kevlar. It was 17' and weighed 35 pounds. My solo canoe is a 12' Old Town Pack that also weighs #35. Sorry, got carried away. Us River rats can't help ourselves.

Back on subject, this thread helps to remind me of my roots as a backpacker and paddler. Hiking and wilderness camping is the most minimalist one can get as this helps me to establish a base line of what I'll pack in our camper. I even thought of my camp cookware used in wilderness camping. I have one for cooking for 2 that includes the lid which is also a frying pan, 2 pots and 2 lexan bowls. Everything nests together in one neat little package that takes up minmal space or go over to Wally world and buy a bunch of junk to fill up the RV. Since this is my opinion I must disclose though that I am married and my wife gets her own way.

jmkay1 likes this.
  20. finsnspurs

finsnspurs Almost a Gpa!

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Nebraska