Popup Gizmo instillation

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by cssweeney, Aug 18, 2012.

1. satown210

satown210 New Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Im gonna have to call BS about 90mph winds. If 90 mph winds were hitting a pop up, it would destroy it and or send it sliding and tumbling away.

2. Tnerb

Tnerb New Member

May 22, 2011
    DW and I were camping in 40mph winds and the roof was moving around pretty good.

The next day the winds ramped up to 50mph. At that point I got scared that something was gonna break. We poped down in those winds and headed for home.

After going thru those kind of winds, I really wouldn't care to be out in 90mph winds.

3. mandl

mandl Member

Mar 17, 2012
    satown210, sorry I have been very busy and unable to answer your response to my post. You are right, my friends know that I can BS with the best of them! But ye of little faith. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpG5XXssUwU. I will try to post the pics from my neighborhood and my house and Pup.

mandl

4. mandl

mandl Member

Mar 17, 2012
  5. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    April 2011....Wilkesboro, NC. A storm that had already put 5 states into a state of emergency hit us directly while camping for a music festival. I took the winds straight to the front of my pup...I truly think my slide out in the back, with it's stabs, kept me from a possible flip. Very high sustained winds. My friend's pup was perpendicular to mine and they had to sit on the incoming wind side to stop the slight hops they felt. So no, 90 MPH winds won't necessarily kill a pup. But the circumstances would have to be just right, like ours was, to NOT sustain damage. We were both raised in FL. Very familiar with tornadoes and the like. And I really think having all the campers there (over 600+ that week) probably played a part in cutting the winds down a bit for those at the end of the 'path'. If I hadn't been 2.5 hours from home AND the storm was going that way, we probably would have all lowered our roofs and fled. But I wonder if they would have survived any better that way?

[:D]

6. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Aug 27, 2010
    don't mess with mother nature [8D]

7. cfmx

cfmx New Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I used the 2" industrial velcro on my PUP. The soft side inside the PUP roof. Then the hard/rough side I cut in half to make it 1" all the way across and placed it where needed on PUG.
    My thought is the industrial velcro is very strong and using 2" will make it harder to take off. I basically only wanted the velcro to hold the PUG while lifting the roof. And have the velcro all the way across the roof would help keep it in place w/out sagging. But either way would be fine IMO.

8. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    So I've read and heard of folks having to staple their sticky velcro so it doesn't let go in the heat. Do you have to have a certain material roof to be able to safely staple into and not hurt it?? I have NO idea what kind of roof RotnPuP has, material wise.

Anyone know about this? I'd sure like to get the velcro and get on this before I have surgery again.

Thanks!
    [:D]

9. Chef9375

Chef9375 Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Massaschusetts
    Hi Kitphantom - where did you buy the little black screw in hook that the ring attaches to?

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I think we bought them on eBay, maybe Amazon. They are called lash hooks, among other things, they are used on kayaks, so may be available where those supplies are found.

Chef9375 likes this.
  11. Chef9375

Chef9375 Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Massaschusetts
    Thank you!!

12. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    We did the full length and bought the gizmo's with velcro already installed. Never had any issues with the tape coming off. We use about 2" wide velcro tape.

During the seasons that we used gizmo's left them installed when putting the camper down. Very quick to setup.

If my velcro tape ever came off the roof, I would have just stuck it back up and used screws and washers very 12" or so.