PopUp Gizmos Setup

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by PopUpSteve, Mar 25, 2011.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    I took some pictures of how I install my Supper High Wind PopUp Gizmos. I'm sure that anyone currently using PUGs has their own methods for installing them. This may not be the best but it works for me.

[list type=decimal]
    [*]Lay the PUG across the roof of the PopUp with the side you want showing down. Center evenly side to side and pull the PUG down so it is just below the lip of the roof. Repeat for rear bunk-end and any slide-outs. Raise the roof of the PopUp about a foot.

[*]On the underside of the lip of the roof, I have already permanently attached a strip of industrial strength Velcro.

[*]Attach the PUG to the Velcro.

[*]Pull the PUG from the roof top and let it hang from the Velcro.

[*]Continue to raise the roof. Pull out the bunk-ends and slide-outs. Arrange the PUG evenly on top of the bunk-end. Drape the tie-down lines over the side of the bunk-end.

[*]On the inside of the bunk-end, install the canvas support poles. Outside, install the bunk-end support legs.

[*]Attach the PUG's tie-down lines.

[*]On many PopUps, the bunk-end canvas is attached to the bottom of the bunk-ends with bungee cord. This can be a good place to attach the tie-down lines.

[/list]

Also, here's a link to an interview I did with with Bob a few years back for a Podcast (PUPcast): http://popupportal.com/index.php?media/3658/full

2. candleems

candleems New Member

Jul 12, 2006
    South Central PA
    Steve, how did you "permanently" attach the velcro to the bunk end? Is it sewn to the canvas or attached to the wood of the roof?

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    It is stuck to the wood. I ended up reinforce it with wood staples.

4. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I glued velrco on the underside of the roof to keep PUGS firmly attached. Saves time in setting up and prevents PUGs from slipping between canvas and roof side.

5. candleems

candleems New Member

Jul 12, 2006
    South Central PA
    Thanks, Steve! Maybe next camper that will work. Unfortunately that will not work for us at this time. End boards are all rotted and flaking away. And I don't think I'm gonna fix 'em. For now. So, I'll just tuck them underneath and sandwich them between canvas and roof w/ tension of the bunkends.

6. codejockey

codejockey Geek who likes outdoors!

Mar 22, 2011
    I guess I'm missing the point, but what does that do?

7. cma7777

cma7777 Member

Jan 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks Steve. I purchased mine in January and have not gotten a chance to use them yet. With the uses of your pictures, you saved me a lot of time trying to figure out how to install them. I read the instructions that come with them but somehow it was hard for this hard head to understand. Thanks again!

8. candleems

candleems New Member

Jul 12, 2006
    South Central PA
    codejockey: It keeps the top edge of the gizmo under the roof edge. Equals less ability for wind to get up underneath.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    It also prevents rains from getting between the Gizmo and the top of the tenting.

10. hendrix4

hendrix4 Don't Smoke

Dec 29, 2010
    I just ordered my popup gizmo and look forward to using them. Heading to Florida in July and am not looking forward to the heat. I hope they work as well as everyone says they do.

11. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

Nov 21, 2010
    North Carolina
    And for us poor budgeted folks.. [LOL]..this trick will also work for our Cabela's Space Blankets... [;)]

12. KJcachers

KJcachers New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    how long are the tie down ropes with the Super High Wind Gizmos? Long enough to reach under and hook to the rope coming from the other side? I was thinking of getting 1 for my new Hybrid but I can't fasten any ropes under the bunk and will need to be able to hook and tighten the ropes together underneath somehow if possible.

13. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Apr 15, 2007
    North Carolina
    Jason, the bungies MAY reach each other, but what I did was screw in short eye hooks under the bunk end boards to hook the clips to.

14. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    They are a bungee cord type of line. Mine reach clear to the other side. So I can attach the lines from the street side to the curb side canvas bungee.

15. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Fishersville, VA
    Me too! Example: for the front, I hook most to the trailer frame, but I always hook 1 from each side to each other. On the back, I usually have at least 2 on each side hooked together. I have never had an issue.

16. bud121156

Apr 15, 2007
    North Carolina
    Wondered about any issue with the bungees pulling down on the bunkend canvas at the top too much?

17. KJcachers

KJcachers New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    thanks! I am not drilling any holes in the Hybrid door for anchor mounts so I wanted to make sure.

18. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Not to worry, both sides of each cord has a stop, so you can set the tension on the line.

19. bud121156

Apr 15, 2007
    North Carolina
    You're right there Steve... didn't give that a thought. Gonna take another look next time I'm set up.....may rethink our attaching....thanks!

20. RGAmos

RGAmos New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    We would love to purchase the Gizmos, but we just purchased AC for our 1995 Coleman PUP. Trying to save a little money. So my question is, for this year, do you think I should purchased the Sportsman's Space Blankets at $12.99 each or should I just go ahead and purchase the Gizmos?