Popup owners...on the fence of giving up the pup

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Doug&Elizabeth, May 14, 2018.

1. Doug&Elizabeth

Doug&Elizabeth New Member

May 14, 2018
    Coastal North Carolina
    We are newly empty-nesters and have had our 2000 Westlake for 10 years. It has been unused for the past 6 years with the kids getting involved in music, sports, etc and no weekend to coordinate a camping trip. We loved our camper and took it all the way to Quebec just months after we bought it.

Basically, I don't want to really give it up, however, it is just the two of us and unless we decide to repair the huge cracks in the roof, replace the rubber around the roof, and see why the airconditioner and lights inside aren't working any longer..... we think we should just sell it.

The Westlake is the Big box with 2 king-sized beds, couch, dinette for 4 and inside and outside stove, water heater and nice trunk in front.

Anyway, any encouragement to stay with it would be appreciated.

2. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Active Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Good news is you own it and it's paid for so you're money ahead. The new Rhino roofs sound promising. May not be a total loss...yet.

MrsSquid and Doug&Elizabeth like this.
  3. Doug&Elizabeth

May 14, 2018
    Coastal North Carolina
    Please tell me more! Or the thread where this is discussed!?? thank you!

Dan from Troup likes this.
  4. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    If you are fairly handy, or have friends that are, most of your repairs should be doable for a fraction of what another unit would cost. roof repairs are covered extensively on various threads here, the worst single part may be the A/C, if it should require replacement. As far as the large box, we have a pup that sleeps 8, & I hesitated buying it, because it's just the wife & myself, but we REALLY like having the extra room, plus it's quite often we have the extra beds filled up with grandkids....they love camping in the pup. Just a couple of things to think upon....

MrsSquid and Doug&Elizabeth like this.
  5. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    We have the Utah model for just two people. We too like the extra room. The other bunk becomes our closet. Plus, we seem to have one trip each year where other family members join us.

If you think you'll camp now that you're empty nesters, as @xvz12 noted, it will cost far less to repair than to purchase another unit.

Doug&Elizabeth likes this.
  6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Yup The Big Box is great for 2 the DW and I use the other bunk to store our luggage and the bedding trunk. It helps keep things nice and neet.

7. jnc

The electrical problem is probably something simple like a loose wire, a blown fuse or broken switch.

8. DJS12354

DJS12354 Active Member

Sounds like you are leaning more toward keeping. I would fix it up!

9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    Are the huge cracks in the roof leaking water into the camper? Is the inside okay.

10. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Active Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
  11. Doug&Elizabeth

May 14, 2018
    Coastal North Carolina
    The Cracks are pretty substantial on very top....No leaking. There is a small crack by the light near one of the beds, too. Otherside the inside is near perfect. We always popped it up and I wiped it down inside after every camping trip.

12. jnc

It's Cheaper to Keep Her. Now is a great time to make it your own. Do the Bedliner thing for the roof fix the wiring some new paint tires & bearings and you are good to go. I would bet you can do all that for less than $1500.