PopupGizmos has a question for Relfectix users

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by popupgizmo, Feb 24, 2010.

1. popupgizmo

popupgizmo Member

Hello All,

At the suggestion of one of our great customers, once again we are looking at the possibility of producing solar window inserts as a alternative to using Reflectix. Pros are: Same level of wind blockage, heat blockage and possibly the biggy: be able to leave the insert in the windows when you fold up (I believe most people have to pull the Reflectix out of the windows and store it when folding up).

Question is: How much did you pay for your Reflectix?

We can run price checks (and have) and we also have a wholesale source that is less costly (when significant quantity is purchased) so we've looked at cost that way also. Reason we're asking you is there are several ways Reflectix can be purchased regarding the size of the roles. And it appears that most users would have to purchase more Reflectix than they'll use for the windows due to available roll sizes.

Only issue we will need to finalize is an attachment method. Since Reflectix is rigid, it stands up on it's own in the window. But our material will not readily do that...though we have some solutions in mind.

And to make this a fair question on my part...ball park pricing for a two bunk window set (both bunks, all windows) would be in the $60.00 range. And until we built up a data base of window sizes, most orders would have to supply measurements. But the final product would be ready to use right out of the box...no cutting, no sewing or taping on your part.

So ok folks, let's hear from you...your thoughts are very much appreciated.

And BTW, for those that just might remember a similar post by me about 10 years ago...it was a simple question like this one that was the start of PopupGizmos...so many thanks for your input.

Best regards,

Bob Pitney
    PopupGizmos

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Bob,
    I don't have an answer for you as I haven't done the reflectix, but I am very interested in your product which would have to possibility of leaving it in when folding down.
    Count me in at that price.
    Lou

3. BoatCamp

BoatCamp Enjoy!

Bob,
    Didn't you propose this product just a year or two ago? Or something very similar?
    I was very interested in it then and would be now [!]
    I haven't done the Reflectix yet, because I haven't seen it in the store, so I don't have a price. But I've been very happy with the Popup Gizomos that I got a couple years ago. And I rave about your service and commitment to customer satisfaction. So if you're going to solve another problem (last fall's trip was a little chilly at night [:>(] ), I'd definitely want to know about it.

4. popupgizmo

popupgizmo Member

Yep, you're correct...we asked about this before...that was when we were going to offer this in a Reflectix type material. And based on what we heard last time...it was a go. But we ended up dropping the idea because all said and done I couldn't offer a competitive enough price...I use a simple method to determine if our pricing remains a true value: If I wouldn't pay the asking price, then the value isn't there. And I'm a cheapskate so there better be value. That doesn't always mean the cheapest solution...it does mean the best solution relative to the cost of the product.

Big difference this time is we're talking about using our solar material...with that we can offer a true value to price product.

Bob Pitney

5. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Bob,

I haven't done reflectix, have thought about it though. I do think $60. is reasonable, I in fact think $80. would be reasonable if the package included panels for my front and back windows in the main area of the popup as well. Maybe not everyone would be interested in such a package, but if I'm camping in October, with no power, I cannot keep the buddy heater going while sleeping. That being said, I think I'd want to keep the heat inside for as long possible, so any insulation factor, would be good insulation. Perhaps you might offer you kit "with or without" large window panels.

Todd

6. 3pillons

3pillons Press hard, Five copies.

I might be crazy here, but I have what I consider to be a genious idea. Instead of creating window inserts, create an entire bunkend cover system.

Start with the basic roof panel. Add two side panels and an end panel that hang down from the roof panel. Allow them to be rolled up and secured at the top by two tie strings when you want the windows open. Have the side panels wrap slightly around to the front, and the front wrap slightly around to the sides. That should help keep them from catching the wind and creating gaps in the coverage. They can secure with bungees at the very bottom when you want them down.

They could still be used with the reflective side in by turning the whole thing inside out. Also, I have seen automotive style reflectors that are colored, maybe you could color-coordinate the sets so they don't stand out so much. Make them waterproof and they would be really beneficial to those of us with old canvas.

I am more than willing to be your test subject for this design. My Viking is pretty small so it wouldn't take too much material. Kind of like Quality Control. [;)]

7. Hanvee3

Hanvee3 New Member

I would also be interested.

8. gkosel

gkosel Fargo, ND (Next Trip - ?)

Heck ya. For $60 I would buy a pair even though I have a big roll of Reflectix in the garage ready for the project. My plan was to first put a layer of Reflextix under the mattresses in the bunkends and use the rest for the bunkend windows if I had any.

9. PATMD

PATMD SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

Although money is tight for me now, I would say I am interested in having some.

10. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I think $60 is more than fair. I'd be interested too.

11. mostlyok

mostlyok We're Mostly OK!

Keep us on your customer list for this solution. It can get surprisingly cold here in Florida too. The Mrs. keeps lots of Velcro around, so that might be a product to use for mounting. She put Velcro on the inside of the roof ends, and on the Gizmos, so they stay in place while we crank the roof up. Good solution that works great.

12. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

I have already done both bunk ends and every window in my PUP including the dinette slide out. Also under each mattress, I think it cost me about $120.00 to do it all. AZ [8D]

13. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I still think something like this would work:

[​IMG]

14. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

I probably wouldn't buy any till the set I have now starts deteriorating.

15. popupgizmo

popupgizmo Member

Thanks for that info...I didn't expect cost to get as high as $100.00 for the Reflectix...we estimated most trailers would buy the needed amount at about $60.00+...maybe more for the bigger king size bunks. But then again I can see the benefit of having the extra material for under the mattress.

As for wearing out your Reflectix...I doubt you will...the stuff is pretty long lasting if it doesn't have to fight off a lot of UV...not a major problem in the window...at least when compared to the roof.

16. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I sort of like Steve's idea, making side and front panels that have roll up sections for the windows.

I have yet to do the reflectix mod largely due to the cost of the stuff (or similar) up here in Canada.

17. bud121156

I brought the product up on the Lowes website for my zip code, and it is $39 for a 4' x 25' roll now,a little bit cheaper, than 3 years ago.

18. popupgizmo

popupgizmo Member

Hi Donnie,

Was 1 roll enough for both your Fleetwood king size bunks? Price wise yep, that's that we have down here in Texas...$40.00 at Lowes and HD.

Bob Pitney

19. bud121156

It took 2 rolls,Bob.

20. jcridge

jcridge New Member

I've been thinking about making some Reflectix bunk window inserts for my Williamsburg for a while. I'd be VERY interested in being able to buy a set all ready to go for $60.