Port on side of light - 1998 Coleman Mesa

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by partyoffive, Apr 21, 2017.

1. partyoffive

partyoffive New Member

Mar 26, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hello! We just brought our "new to us" 1998 Coleman Mesa home last week after searching for a few months. My dad and I went through the systems, everything seems to be solid & working well.

I have been digging around the lights (trying to decide if I will swap to LED), and there is a "port" on the side of the interior dome lights. It has electricity running to it, but it isn't the usual "12V" port- it is the size of a tv "cable box" wire, but its empty (no pin, you can see into the interior of the light).

I have done some searches and am coming up empty as far as what it would be for? Please help a newbie out...

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. JAlbers

JAlbers New Member

Nov 4, 2016
    Corydon, Indiana
    It is for another light or fan/light combo to plug into.
    upload_2017-4-21_10-7-13.jpeg

Attached Files:

kitphantom likes this.
  3. JAlbers

JAlbers New Member

Nov 4, 2016
    Corydon, Indiana
    And congrats on the new to you PUP. You can find the lights/fans on Amazon. They are pretty handy to use on the pop outs/beds.

4. partyoffive

partyoffive New Member

Mar 26, 2017
    that is what i was hoping for, but it doesn't have the proper "end" for a plug like that? could it be an older one maybe?

5. partyoffive

partyoffive New Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Ok, i ran out and snapped some pictures...

Attached Files:

6. partyoffive

partyoffive New Member

Mar 26, 2017
    It has a "see through" middle, the interior plate has the electric wired to it, and the exterior has threads

7. JAlbers

JAlbers New Member

Nov 4, 2016
    Corydon, Indiana
    It could be an older style. In our pup the plug is a little cleaner looking. It is aprox. 1/4 wide. It's like the old headset/stereo plugs. Do some internet searches for your camper and see if you can find any optional equipment listed.

8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I have a couple of lamp/fan devices to plug in same hole. (Same what JALber posted with pic).

9. partyoffive

partyoffive New Member

Mar 26, 2017
    ok, great! so even if the fan/ lamp doesn't have the threads on it, it will still work?

10. Halford

the insert part does not have threads like a screw but has a couple rings to keep it from falling out of the hole.

11. partyoffive

partyoffive New Member

Mar 26, 2017
    the nut on the outside of my light has threads on it- thats why i was wondering. I will go ahead and order one light/fan combo and see if it works!

12. Halford

Yea I understand. Not screwable but just push it in and pull out. I think I need one more for my camper.

13. partyoffive

partyoffive New Member

Mar 26, 2017
  14. Halford

yea should be fine... good price. I see $30 elsewhere

15. partyoffive

partyoffive New Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Thank-you!! I'm just starting this adventure and am completely remodeling on my own (my DH said he is too busy), so I'm sure I will be here a lot!

16. Halford

great!

17. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
  18. Alan

Alan Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Reno, NV
    The connection is just like a microphone connection, or plugging an electric guitar into an amp. Push it in, pull it out.

19. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    It's a 1/4 inch audio jack... better known as a "guitar plug"
    You can get them at anywhere like Radio Schtick or a better-equipped musical instrument store.
    If you're not handy with a soldering iron, you can get them with screw connections.

20. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    All I have ever seen uses a phono type plug like this one...

[​IMG]

My trailer came with two of these light/fan combos and the fans quit first.. Mine were the older type that used a very hot incandescent automotive bulb inside it. It actually acted like a small heater in the tent bed area haha

I have seen LED version lights being used now on the newer ones...

Mine had two spring tight clamps that would fit around the main round top pole that ran above the tent bed section... Neat Idea....

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]