Portabella Bacon Bombs

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by Bob Loblaw, May 28, 2013.

1. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Saw this recipe on a cooking show and just had to try it. We revised it a little bit to suit us.

Portabella Bacon Bomb
    3 strips of bacon
    Portabella mushroom cap, stem removed
    1 egg

Lay the strips of bacon out, crossing each other to look like wagon wheel spokes. Lay mushroom cap, bottom side up, in the center of bacon. Crack egg into the bottom of mushroom, wrap the bacon up and around the mushroom cap so that it is covered by the bacon. Cook in a pie iron. You may not be able to fully close the pie iron until the mushroom cooks down a bit. The egg might squish out a little too, but it doesn't really matter in the end. So good!

The original recipe had a tomato slice on top of the egg before you wrapped the bacon up around it, and it was cooked in a dutch oven. We took out the tomato slice and decided to use a pie iron instead to make sure the bacon was crispy.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  2. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    YUM! DH and I would like that!!!...the DKs...maybe not so much. [:D] I would like to do that one.

3. CalKat

CalKat Member

Jun 15, 2011
    Washington state
    I'll have to try that one next time out. Sounds delicious!

4. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Clinton, Illinois
    I would love it, Brad would not. Sorry about Brad's luck. :) Thanks for sharing.

5. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Feb 20, 2012
    Melviindale MI.
    We do the same thing but we wrap it in foil and cook right in the fire takes about 5 to 8 min. just love

6. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Sep 16, 2011
    These sound good. I think I would like the tomato added. Gonna give this a try. Thanks for sharing! [:)O]

Campit

7. chippers

chippers New Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Sounds wonderful! I think I'll include the tomato and maybe add some cheese. I'm thinking asiago or a nice swiss. Yum!

8. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    Oh. My. GOSH!

Gonna have to try this 'un.

9. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Yummy!