Portable AC Continuous Drain Question

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by fonecop1, Jun 27, 2009.

1. fonecop1

fonecop1 New Member

We just bought an Everstar 9500 portable AC for our popup. This unit claims to have a bucketless evaporation system but mentions you may have to drain it if you get a P1 error in the display. The unit has a bottom drain that they say to drain if you get the error. It also has a higher "continuous drain" connection with a male connector that accepts a garden hose. I am planning to run a drain hose out of the camper but I am not sure whether I need to connect to that continuous drain connector or the bottom one that the hose just presses on. The manual only talks about the continuous drain in the dehumidify section. I like the idea of using the garden hose threaded on over that small hose that just slips on. Does anybody know if I casn use that continuous drain connection in the AC mode? Thanks in advance.
    Bob

2. Elliemae

Elliemae New Member

It sounds like your portable ac is the same one we recently purchased from HD for our ntus pup. We haven't used it on a campout
    yet as we've only been on a trial run with our pup but when we put the ac in our pup in our driveway in full sun and very hot (and it kept our pup fairly cool) we didn't have any hose connected to it and we let it run all day, but from the instructions we have you don't use the top drain (the one with a water hose) unless it is in the humidity mode so it wouldn't drain from there anyway I don't think. And also in the humidity mode you wouldn't need the vent hose. When we took
    the pup down and before we took the ac out I opened the drain and very little water came out of it so with our's I don't think we will need a drain hose, just drain it ever so often. How did you put your vent hose? Have you tried it in your driveway?

98 Coachman
    96 Jeep Cherokee [CP] [SUN]

3. fonecop1

fonecop1 New Member

EllieMae Thanks for the info. That's what it was leading me to believe about the top hose. We have had it running all day in the driveway and it's doing pretty good considering it's 89 degrees out and it's right in the sun. I am happy with the way the vent hose turned out, it took about 4 trips between home improvement stores before I found something to work with. I took a lot of pictures of the vent install and will be posting them when we get back from camping.

4. Elliemae

Elliemae New Member

I checked our pup the next day after we run the ac all day the day before and the temp in the pup was over 100 degrees. The day before the ac kept it around 80 ish or so but was very tolerable...but w/o the ac
    it would be horrible. We have the gizmo's and put releftix on the
    windows except the bunk windowns. My son said our pup looked like space ship with the silver in the windows..we'd heading on two week trip in a couple of weeks to N Ga and I think we'll be fine..except
    when we get to our first destination it will be early afternoon and if we have a site in full sun..that will hurt having to pop up in the hot sun. Will be looking forward to your pictures.

98 Coachman [PU] [CP]

96 Jeep Cherokee [TV]

[CP] [DOG]Pookie (Yorkie) and Digger (Yorkie in Doggy Heaven)

5. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

My portable AC unit, 12,000 BTU Koldfront, is also one of those you supposedly don't have to drain, but in high humidity conditions I have found that it won't keep up as far a evaporating the water it collects. The only drain mine has is a small one at the bottom of the unit that takes a 3/8 inch OD tube (I think that is the size) that just slips on. I went to using the drain tube all the time.

The way my camper is set up I have to set the AC on a cabinet so I drilled a 3/8 inch hole in the back corner of the cabinet and another in the floor to route the drain tube out of the camper and then found setting the unit on some 1 inch thick lumber it allows the unit to drain really well.

When we first got the unit I ran it for a few days to test it out and to figure out how to get the max cooling out of it. The first couple of days it was just hot out, then it turned hot and humid which is when I learned it could not keep up.

6. Fireman_LGWI

Fireman_LGWI New Member

I drain mine through the floor. We have a 10,000btu unit that works well.
    http://good-times.webshots.com/album/552379122ZIVmTT

7. fonecop1

fonecop1 New Member

Well we just got back from a 5 day trip. The AC unit did great! The site we had was shaded all day and I'm sure that helped. It was very humid the first day and the regular Mo. humidity after that which is pretty humid. At the end of the trip I took the unit outside and opened the drain and I would say that less than 1/2 a cup of water drained out. We paid $299 for this AC and it was worth every penny.

8. fonecop1

fonecop1 New Member

Oh and I'm getting my pictures together so I will be posting them under a new thread in this forum titled something like "portable AC install with pics" very soon.