Portable AC Install with PICS

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by fonecop1, Jul 2, 2009.

1. fonecop1

fonecop1 New Member

Well we bought an Everstar 9500 Portable AC at Home Depot for $299 so I wanted to let you guys know how it worked out in our Viking SP230. So here are some Pics and comments about how I did it.

The AC unit has a 5 inch exhaust hose but I couldn't find anything that was 5 inch to use to go through the side of the Camper. Finally I found this 4 inch "Dryer Dock" and this 5 to 4 inch reducer. I figured I was only restricting it down to 4 inch at the very end of the hose for a few inches so it probably wouldn't hurt. The Home Depot part number for the Dryer Dock is 610589164101 and the Home Depot part number for the reducer is 050206925607. I thought about only using 1/2 of the Dryer Dock so it would be flush mounted to the outside of the Camper but the plug I bought to use when traveling or when the AC is not in use was going to be very tight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We took a look and figured right in front of the sink was the best place for us to locate the AC unit since we had room under the cabinet to route the exhaust and exit the Camper. I started by marking the hole on the inside and cutting through the inside paneling with a small hole using my dremel tool. Then I poked around in there making sure that there wasn't anything behind there where I was going to cut out. I used the 5 inch end of the reducer to mark the inside hole since it would end up being recessed in this hole. Once the inside hole through the paneling was cut out I then used the 4 inch end of the reducer to mark where the 4 inch was going to come through the outside of the Camper and cut it out with my dremel tool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This top picture is where I had enough room to get a screw in each side of the reducer to hold it together with the Dryer Dock, this is because the 5 inch end of the reducer won't pass through the 4 inch outside hole. The second picture is a view inside the hose and the third picture is a view of the outside finished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first picture here is how the exhaust hose is left stored and the next two pictures show the AC unit sitting in place connected to the exhaust hose.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I found this 4 inch pluming test plug to seal the hole when the AC is not in use or when you are traveling. The Home Depot part number for the test plug is 038753334035. In the last picture the plug wasn't seated all of the way in the hole but can easily be pressed in all of the way. I didn't have time to put the finishing touch on that test plug but I bought some white Rustoleum spray paint for plastic that I plan to use on it to make it blend in better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 3pillons

3pillons Press hard, Five copies.

Very nice job, pretty thoughtful. As someone without a portable a/c, could it be evnted through the floor instead of the wall?

3. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

The vent hoses are very similar in nature to dryer vent hoses. Your only limiting factor is how much you can get the hose to bend.

4. fonecop1

fonecop1 New Member

I don't really see why not, you would just have to crawl under the camper to install or remove the plug.

5. Tekboy46

Tekboy46 Member

fonecop1, that is slick. Portables in popups don't get much press and I'm glad you made this work. Our portable is vented through the floor and it does just fine as long as we're not camped in all day blazing hot sun. I really like your wall fittings and how you did that.
    3pillions, yes they can vent through the floor... that is how I did ours. With a floor vent arrangement you need to have a deflector like the sheet aluminum I installed underneath the vent opening; this deflects the heat exhaust 45 degrees from vertical and gets the hot air out from underneath the camper... without a deflector your hot air spreads out underneath the floor. With a wall vent, getting rid of the heat efficiently is a non-issue. And... after seeing the fonecop1 install and how slick it is, a wall vent just might be a future mod for me.
    Fonecop1, my floor vent comes up through the floor a few inches and that's where our storage and travel plug goes. It's soft vinyl and slips over the vent tube.

6. LifesAGrill

LifesAGrill Raymond, MS

You had your thinking cap on for this mod. Very good job!

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I use a portable AC in my Apache. Right now, I just use a piece of foam board with a hole cut in it as a hose outlet. I set the board in one of my sliding window tracks. However, I plan on installing a RV cable hatch in the side of the camper as an exhaust outlet.

8. h0ng0s

h0ng0s New Member

I'm still planning on going through the banch with a bend down through the wheel well in my Coleman. That's if I ever get the time. [SNZ]

Once I get it done I will post the pics. This way no extra holes though the side.

9. Fireman_LGWI

Fireman_LGWI New Member

I vented mine like this. Just velcro between the bunk end and main wall. Simple and I also drain the water out through the floor. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]