Portable ac unit compressor issues

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by lostboy, Oct 6, 2017.

1. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

I have a portable ac unit. When I plug it in my garage gfi outlet and the compressor kicks on it immediately trips the outlet. Fan will run fine prior to the compressor tripping the outlet.

When I plug it in to another outlet in my house, I can hear the compressor kick on and then immediately kick off. The fan will continue to run and then it will try to cycle the compressor again but the compressor immediately shuts down again.

Thoughts on what this could be?

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Sounds like the compressor is locked up.

3. kreeves

kreeves She and her two dogs

I'm guessing too much drawn on amps when the compressor kicks on, bit I'm not an electrician.

4. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Kind of what I was thinking but it totally could be locked up to. If it draws to much at home then it would likely be to much for the camper right?.

It is new so in theory should be fine. It is a sample from a previous employer so I can't return it but also paid very little.

5. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

GFCI's are sometimes less tolerant of sudden hard loads. I'm more inclined to agree with xxxapache that the compressor has a fault. Could be locked up, or perhaps a limit switch is tripping. Either way, it doesn't look good for the unit.

6. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Resurrecting my old post.

Any chance anyone in MN (Minneapolis south metro) is looking for one of these and thinks they can fix this one. Yours free if you pick it up, it has been sitting in my garage since this post in the box that it came in. See above for issue.

It's a cool living 8000btu.