Portable Air Compressors...

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Rik Peery, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Saw a few responses from a year or so ago, wondering if there's a new kid on the block...checked mine, said 60 psi max cold (Load Star 205/75-14 Load Range C), left one at 50, right one 52...have a large JEEP pump w/ a gauge, dang thing nigh wore me out filling 'em up in the driveway; one the bright side, I now look like Charles Atlas, anticipating soreness by daybreak...looking for one that clips to the truck battery, compact, so easy the wife can use it, & under $200...

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

You can get cheap ones (< $20) that plug into a lighter socket and they are slow but high PSI. Used one for years and still have one in each vehicle. I have a larger compressor I use in my workshop that I use for tires now.

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    The cheap ones have a duty cycle, like 5 minutes on and 10 minutes off. It could take hours to pump up a flat car tire. Most will overheat the first time they are used, because no one reads the warnings.

Rik Peery likes this.
  4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    I carry a battery powered pump that also has jump start capabilities. I know it will go to 100psi. Can't remember what I paid for it. Its a Peak brand

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Rik Peery likes this.
  6. Captain Smith

Captain Smith New Member

Jun 28, 2012
    brwarrior, jsalexan7 and Rik Peery like this.
  7. jsalexan7

jsalexan7 Flatlander

Aug 4, 2011
    Here's the one we have 5 of (one in each car and an extra we bought as a gift and forgot about that I loan out to the kids' friends when they inevitably need one on condition I get it back).

They work pretty well, takes about 10ish minutes per tire to fill up from flat but very useful in a pinch. It'll actually shut itself down if it starts to overheat and if necessary, you can set it to the proper pressure and let it run, it'll shut off when it's at that pressure. That having been said, it's not the most accurate gauge on the planet, but will get you within about 5psi +- of your target pressure.

Rik Peery likes this.
  8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I haven't seen that on mine... if they have a duty cycle I've never run into a problem. Never filled up a car tire from completely flat, but have topped off car tires many times, and done plenty of bike and scooter tires with them all the way from flat.

xxxapache likes this.
  9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I keep one in my truck, I have had it for a long time and used it only once. I think I paid about $25.00 for it, it is slow but gives good pressure, just hook it on and hunker awhile while it did it's thing. It pumped up a friends slow leak tire so he could get home and get it fixed the next morning. Better to be prepared that suffer the consequences.
    (my opinion)

tfischer, jsalexan7 and Rik Peery like this.
  10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I have a cheap one in my camper. I have pumped several full size tires with it. I didn't set a stop watch, but would guess the time was less than 10 minutes.

I believe this is the one I have:
    Screenshot_20180814-212703~2.png

I have a 5 buck one that I took the housing off of. I carry it in my motorcycle saddlebag. I have plugged and pumped several tires on the side of the road for others with it.

tfischer and Rik Peery like this.
  11. brwarrior

brwarrior New Member

Mar 26, 2017
    I have a Viair 88P (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ASY23I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It will take my truck tires from 20psi to 50psi (gotta air down to drive in the sand on the beach) in about 5 minutes. I do all four without much resting. Just time to change tires (and the occasional pause to check pressure as the gauge is a little optimistic when it's running.) I have the extension hose but have yet to need it. Maybe with the PUP I will. I keep it in a canvas like tool bag that popped up with it on the big A.

bearman512, Rik Peery and tfischer like this.
  12. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I've got one I bought heck, 25 years ago maybe? It has a nifty light on it. I've used it over the years to touch up tires on the road. I used it on the PUP once. IMHO, these things are "get me home" items you keep in the TV or PUP. If it's the ONLY thing you have to maintain your tires at home, I don't know, maybe spring for something nice. I have a full size compressor in the garage, and do 99% of my tire maintenance in the driveway, so the portable just rots in the storage compartment in case of an emergency.

This one seems nice... its the only one with over 2 CFM free flow rate...

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B074DD3NS5/ref=psdc_155346011_t1_B005ASY23I?th=1

Rik Peery likes this.
  13. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    I have a power kit that has usb and air compressor . Just got a ryobi one that uses the same battery as my impact wrench . The impact wrench is to put stabilizers down, remove lug nuts and with put air .

Rik Peery likes this.
  14. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Mar 7, 2018
  15. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
  16. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    My trailer tires are at 80 psi. Anyone have any experience inflating to that high of a psi?

Rik Peery likes this.
  17. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    Either of the Viair pumps, 88P or 90P, mentioned above will do it. I use the 90P also. Better off using a pump with battery clips than a ciggie plug. They pull more amps, run cooler, and fill the tires quickly, just run the engine while using them for high pressure.

Rik Peery likes this.
  18. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Good advice on the battery clips. Using a cigarette lighter plug will blow that fuse eventually. I also have a 90P, very happy with it.

Rik Peery likes this.
  19. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Mine are 60 psi cold, used a big JEEP hand pump, told myself no mas, ordered the Viair as mentioned by SteveP & Glade, good up to 120 psi, I can use it for the wife's Crosstrek & my 2 Tacomas as well to keep 'em topped......

20. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Everyone needs a compressor....I just counted up. I have 45 vehicle or trailer tires plus bicycles, lawn equipment and a four wheeler.

gladecreekwy and Rik Peery like this.