Portable air conditioner?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by jenswan, Jul 29, 2016.

1. jenswan

jenswan New Member

Has anyone ever used a portable air conditioner in their pop up? It's hot so much of the year here in Texas that I'm thinking of getting one, and wondered if anyone has any experience with them?

2. mchance47

mchance47 New Member

Sure. I used a 10k BTU model that cooled us off and kept us cool. You can't run it from your battery, but if you have a generator or a 30+ amp electrical hookup, you'll be fine. You'll have either one or two hoses to fit in a window, but that's not hard to set up.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

If you look around the Portal, you'll find ideas to use a portable a/c in a pup. One thing to remember is that you are cooling something that is mostly tenting, not an insulated house. Folks do Refectix inserts and other heat/cold retention measures to help keep the coolness in.

4. cyclop5

cyclop5 Member

I bought an 8k btu model a couple months ago. Hardest part is venting our the exhaust air. (I don't want to cut another hole in anything). I'm currently contemplating venting it up through the vent on the roof (corrugated plastic is awesome to work with btw) but haven't gotten that set up yet.

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I used an 8500 btu in my Apache.

6. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Would people mind posting what models they have and if they like them? Also starting to look into these.

7. upstate family

upstate family Member

Portable a/c is in our plans for our pup too.

8. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

9. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Looks like 10K BTU.

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

A 10k unit will work fine if you have some shade. In full sun, I bet it will struggle.....Most RV AC units are at least 13500 btu.

11. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Pugs will go a lot of way. I used an 8k btu window unit while camping in florida for an entire week and it worked great to the point the wife asked me to turn it down at night. We were in the camper a few times during the early evening and while it was not freezing it was cold and comfortable. My pup is a 7' box with canvas, I bet one with the saturated vinyl canvas would have done even better.

12. mchance47

mchance47 New Member

We've got LG's 10k BTU portable. Works great.

13. A+Tqwest12A

A+Tqwest12A New Member

14. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I set mine on the counter. Running the exhaust was pretty easy. The unit should come with a panel to exhaust through a partially open window. I took the exhaust hose with the window adaptor and just zipped it through the side wall of the camper. We had it exhausted on the back side of the camper so we didn't have to walk through the hot exhaust leaving the pup.

15. A+Tqwest12A

A+Tqwest12A New Member

That's a good point about location and heat from the exhaust. I also read that people suggested running the plug out to the camp site hook up rather than on the PUP. Suppose you could run it out the same window as long as the hook up is on that side.

16. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

My supplemental A/C sits on a small counter between the bunk and the slide out dinette. I have the hose routed to vent out a side window on the dinette. I bought a stealth flow gutter drain adapter and used some reflectix to make it fit into the hose. This way the window zips tighter to the hose outlet. I also run a dedicated power cord to the pole.

17. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

The standard 13,500 BTU roof top unit would not keep up with our 12’ box in the sun on the gulf coast.
    Maybe because it was old or to small?
    I swapped to a new 15K and solved the problem. Overkill? IDK
    I just don’t want to fool with PUGS.

xxxapache likes this.
  18. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

In full sun, the 5,000 BTU AC in the Aliner is a vacuum cleaner. We run a small swamp cooler to help on the other end of the camper. It turns back into a AC about sundown. Go big. You have paid for power at campgrounds.

19. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Yeah, overkill. PUGs are only part of the solution, in really hot temperatures (and really cold) you want to be using Reflectix window inserts which make a HUGE difference in keeping the interior of any camper with tenting cool in really hot weather and warmer in really cold weather. They'd be especially effective for those using portable A/C units which in most cases will be rated with less cooling capacity than a standard roof mount 13,500 BTU A/C.

[​IMG]