Portable air conditioner

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Solo camper, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Solo camper

Solo camper Member

Wondering if anyone has any experience using a portable air conditioner. Looking for input from using one in a pop up or even in a room. I am considering purchasing a cargo trailer and wonder if this would be an acceptable substitute for a roof mount. Would definitely be cheaper.

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I use one in the garage when woodworking and we have brought it along on a few camping trips in the pup. Ours is a two-hose which is more efficient than the single hose ones that are more common.

Blackripley likes this.
  3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I used a 8k btu in my Apache for 8 years. With solar bunk and window covers it did ok in direct sun. In the shade it did great. I have used the same unit during power outages at my house. I shut some doors and was probably only cooling about 500 sq ft. However, it was 90+ outside and cold enough to need a blanket inside.

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have an 8k btu portable. I use it to help supplement the roof A/C during the TX summer. Mine is a single hose model, and not as efficient as the dual hose ones, but I got it for 50-75% off, so I can't complain much. I have a large pup - dual king beds, slide out dinette, and the portable alone can't make a dent in the heat. I had it running one day last year due to an electrical problem, and it was sweltering inside. This was in a site with close to full shade, awning deployed, pugs all around and reflectix in almost every window.

For a small trailer you might be OK if you take the effort to properly insulate. I know the van folks often install a portable to cool the interior, and I have seen others mounted on outside with ducting to go into a homebuilt trailer. If you do go this route, I would get the biggest unit you can afford and fit.

We have a 10k btu portable at the house that we bought when the main unit died at home - we couldn't afford to put a new unit in at the time so we had to make do with a window unit in the master and a portable for my son's bedroom. In that circumstance it did an admiral job of cooling the room, keeping it at 73-75 during the day, and down to 69-70 at night. I think it would have done better if we kept his door closed, but the cats needed to move between rooms during the day.

5. Blackripley

Blackripley New Member

6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

We had a floor model AC in the Pup. I don't know how big it was but it would freeze you out in Kansas in July.

7. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

We have a 10k unit that we use in the house and in the pop up. With no extra shading or insulation the camper isn’t what I would consider cool with temps in the 90s and sun on the canvas, but it’s not miserable either. After the sun goes down and the temps fall into the 80s or lower, the pup cools down nicely.

xxxapache likes this.