Portable Air Conditioning

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by bandc12, Aug 3, 2011.

1. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

Looking to go camping at the beach next year and wanted to get some info on the portable a/c units. I have an old school 1986 Scamper. 8 ft box. It does not have air but wanted to get something portable that I can plug in at the camp ground. What are the best models... how do you "install?"

2. nomoretent

nomoretent Member

3. Tekboy46

Tekboy46 Member

The best model is the one with the highest BTU you can find and is on sale. Our area has portable units for sale as people buy them when their central AC goes out, then when it's fixed they sell the portable on Craigslist. You should be able to find a deal there and save over new cost if you're toying with the idea of a portable AC. You set it somewhere in the camper on the floor or up on a counter top. I built a small stand for mine to stand on. You have to vent the heat out with the 4 inch (or so) flex vent hose. I vent mine through the floor with a PVC fitting, but some people vent through a camper window by zipping a vinyl window down around the vent. Some units have condensation tubes that drain condensation water. I drain mine through the floor, through a fitting I installed. It has to drain from the AC unit downhill. Some portables have a "no condensate" feature that evaporates condensation into the exhaust, so if you could find one of those that's one less tube you'd have to route somewhere. The thread linked to is a good read on portables.

[​IMG]

4. Billperper

Billperper New Member

I had a 1989 scamper, i put a portable a/c in,when temp over 87 outside because of it being a tent wouldnt bring temp below 81

5. breadman99

breadman99 Member

I would highly recommend a two hose unit. Instead of drawing air from inside the trailer ( creating vacuum) it pulls from outside. If pulling from inside, warm air can actually be sucked into the camper from outside. Also a good idea to vent exhaust through roof vent where possible. Mine is exhausted through roof vent with fan running to cut down on heat traveling back into the camper. Works great.

Raycfe likes this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Two hose is the way to go