Portable Field (Camping) Sink Mod

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Dubbya, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Hah! Thanks! Really glad you found it useful!

I enjoy posting the details and pics, then waiting to see the various iterations other people come up with. That's the great thing about mods. They're seldom ever "done".

Painstakingly typed with very large fingers from my teenie, tiny iPhone.

2. jmullan99

jmullan99 New Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Niagara Falls, ON
    Love it!!

3. kentuckyrascal

kentuckyrascal Member

Oct 23, 2007
    western kentucky
    Looks good but too big for me to handle on a camping trip. We normally only do dishes at the end of the day and use to use it as time talking about what we had done or plan to do the next day.

4. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Mar 10, 2009
    Hopkinton, MA
    Great idea Dubbya! Are there also pics (larger) under your profile?

5. vik-king

vik-king New Member

Feb 3, 2012
    I like yours a lot. very well done! I have made a light weight double camp sink with spray hose faucet and drain that can connect to sewer or a 5 gallon collap sable jug for state parks etc. Its done on a abs plastic rack complete with soak-er tub and rinse basin has rack with hooks to dry pots and pans ,collapsable compact and weighs less then 10 pounds. The soak-er sink pops out and you can put a food tray in place or cutting board for food prep and chopping to be used as a kitchen as well.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/95291106@N05/8688048255/#
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/95291106@N05/8689196184/#
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/95291106@N05/8691514917/#

6. kentuckyrascal

kentuckyrascal Member

Oct 23, 2007
    western kentucky
    Vik-king yours is nice also. Very well done.

7. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Mar 10, 2009
    Hopkinton, MA
    Dubbya, how do the quick connects work for you? Any leaks? I've never thought of using those for our outside sink hookup but the seem like a big time saver over 4 threaded connectors (both ends of H & C lines)

8. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Just click the thumbnails. They'll open up the large photos at photobucket.com.

The quick connects work well on the house and those hoses are usually at 70psi.. yeah, uber high water pressure in town! At 40-50 psi from the pump or through the CG water lines, they work perfectly. Love the quick connect LPG fitting too. They're pricey to get set up with but sure are convenient. Now I can share one regulator and extension hose between the Eccotemp and BBQ.

9. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Yep, that'll work just fine! I sure looked hard at the shelving option as well. Light, inexpensive, uncomplicated and easily portable.

Admittedly, I went overboard (just ask the DW!) but it was a very LONG winter and I didn't have much to do but wait for summer anyway. [;)]

10. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Mar 10, 2009
    Hopkinton, MA
    Where did you find the quick connects? Admittedly I have't looked for them but I don't recall seeing htem in the big box stores and I've spen lots of time looking through the plumbing items.

11. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Look in the yard and garden section for garden hose fittings.

LPG quick connects are available at any RV dealer or any of the online RV parts sites.

Painstakingly typed with very large fingers from my teenie, tiny iPhone.

12. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Dubbya, this is an amazing modification and I would encourage you to patent it and go into production or sell the patent rights. That said I have two of those Plano boxes each of which are 6-8 years old. I would caution you on taking care to protect the hinges. After less then a year the hinges on one became unhinged and after about another 6 months would not go back together. On the second one I tried to be more careful but someone else opened the box and allowed the lid to go all the way back popping it out of the hinge in one area and now it does not hinge properly. They still open and closed and I continue to use them. Perhaps and hopefully they have a stronger and better designed hinge on the ones they make now.

13. JustB_rad

JustB_rad New Member

Apr 16, 2012
    If I'd have seen your sink before I started mine, I probably would've copied you. Instead, I have this....
    [​IMG]

14. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Nothing wrong with that at all! It's pretty much exactly what I had in mind when I got started... then I got to thinking about how I'd transport it and bought the Plano trunk... the rest is history. [;)]

15. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Well, after testing this in the field for an entire weekend, I have to recommendations to make.

[list type=decimal]
    [*]If using city water, or well water, use a limiter of some kind to restrict the flow so that the L5 can keep up. That water gets really cold coming out of the ground. [​IMG]
    [*]If at all possible, use 1" or larger drain fittings and hoses inside the case. The 5/8" drain hoses and stock Pee traps are pretty slow to drain.
    [/list]

16. jmullan99

jmullan99 New Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Niagara Falls, ON
    I like that setup. Although, I hope the heater is further away from the canvas than it appears in the photo [:O]

17. mainahman

mainahman All the worlds indeed a stage

Oct 2, 2009
    ID totally buy one of those if i saw one for sale!!

18. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    I assembled a 3-way tank adapter so I can connect the camper supply line and the Eccotemp or a BBQ at the same time without always having to switch connectors or relight the pilot on the fridge. Handy!

See it here: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=74552.0

19. Oranges Rhymed

Oranges Rhymed Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Neat sink! I like it!

20. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Thanks!