Portable Field (Camping) Sink Mod

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Dubbya, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Shelmily just finished building his field sinks with a few modifications and did an awesome job on them too.

[​IMG]

Check out his thread here

On that note, I've found that PL Premium and Gorilla Glue don't adhere well to the polyethylene plastic used in my Sportsman's Trunk. Consequently, the expanded styrofoam "countertop" I made isn't holding up very well. There's just too much flex in the lid and the edges of the lid keep separating from the styrofoam and glue.

Additionally, the self-adhesive tiles are not sticking to the styrofoam in the lid. They're meant to be face up when installed and they're upside down when the lid is closed.

I plan to use RPX (Rigid Extruded Foam) insulation with some turn-in plastic wall anchors around the edges. Then I'll just turn in some screws around the edges of the lid to add some rigidity to it. I'm also planning to redo the deck that suspends the sinks using the same materials. In the end, the sinks won't require any sealants, the whole thing will be pretty much impervious to water damage and it'll be about 10 pounds lighter. It's all good, right?

2. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the acknowledgement. I am glad you told me about the lid issue. That was one of my next additions to it. I also like the idea about using something other than the plywood on the deck. I know mine got hit with a lot of water, on just one trip. Over time that would be a problem I'm sure. I didn't mention it in my post, but I did add a screw halfway along the front and back at the rim to give some strength. It made a big difference in mine, as I didn't have much lip there to support the deck, and the sides wanted to bulge a little.

Ok, back to drawing board.

3. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Yep, there's plenty of paper so just bring a sharpened HB pencil. I'll save you a seat!

4. Twitch22

Twitch22 73 N6DDY

May 25, 2013
    This looks like the original genius idea. I really wish you could bookmark threads. [;)]

5. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Oh, here's the key to making the Eccotemp work without having to connect/disconnect the trailer's LPG fittings every time you need hot water...

Mod thread is here:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=74552.msg682635#msg682635

6. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Jun 21, 2012
    I like this even more! Decisions, decisions...

7. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Georgia
    That is a nice setup, nothing to be ashamed of. What did you use for the table? Second, how did you attached the shelf bars to your pup?

8. backwoodzbum

backwoodzbum New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    wow prices have risen alot. cheapest I am seeing them is $46
    I may have to start lettin my dog lick the plates clean again. [:D]

an outstanding job dubbya on making it very self contained.

9. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Hillsboro, OR
    $28 at HomeDepot.

10. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Check Bass Pro Shop too.

11. backwoodzbum

backwoodzbum New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Thats better and can find most everything in a one stop deal there. Will be checking it out this winter lay over.