Power converter

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Buddababy, Apr 16, 2019 at 8:33 PM.

1. Buddababy

Buddababy New Member

Hello.new to site.so here I go.....
    Have a Komfort t.trailer. Have beeping coming from converter. Worked fine on 120V but when I hooked up the 2 -6 volt batteries along with shore power the converter started to BEEP. The converter is old and no longer made. It works on only 12v and only 120 Volts ....What the heck?????

2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Are you sure the battery is connected correctly.

3. Buddababy

Buddababy New Member

I assumed it was because the lights & stove fan works. BUT i will check it again when it stops raining...Thanks

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Do you have a gas detector near the converter? They will beep if there's low voltage.

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Also could you clarify what you meant by:

>> It works on only 12v and only 120 Volts ....What the heck?????

6. Buddababy

Buddababy New Member

I meant that it did not beep when I had it connected to 120 v.nor did it when hooked to 12 v. BUT when both were connected it beeped and beeped

7. Buddababy

Buddababy New Member

also no gas detector. this trailer is a 1979 model. No gas detector and i doubt that there was even gas back then;)

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Question, does your batteries have enough juice? Because your camper is so old it won’t charge your battery’s in tow. I wonder if your converter is able to sense low power.

9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

If you have the original converter it will not work on shore power and battery power at the same time, but you should be able to connect both. There should be a 3 way rocker on the panel to switch from battery to converter.

My guess would be that you have the batteries connected in parallel rather than series and you're only getting 6 volts, the beep would be a low voltage signal. Incandesant lights and fan will work off of 6 volts, but better of of 12. Read http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm.

10. Buddababy

Buddababy New Member

Batteries are new 6 volt wired in series. Not sure if it is original converter.Would guess yes as nobody around here knows anything about it. can not find a disconnect to eliminate either 120 or 12 v on converter.

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

It could be a trouble code. Is there a break in the beeping? If so you need to google that converter for a manual.

I still am wondering if the leads coming from the converter to the battery is missed wired (backwards). It is easy to do, most campers used Black as the plus and white or green as the ground (neg). Most of the circuits in a camper will work if connected backwards. But if the converter is connected to the battery backwards it has to charger from -12V to +24V that is a total of 48V. Maybe it starts to charge hits a protection mode, beeps and turns itself off, than tries again???

12. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Here is a neat diagram pictorial on how to hookup 6V batteries wired in series... Note the 220AH does not double when wired in series - only the DC Voltage

[​IMG]
    Google Image

Here is a similar diagram pictorial on how to hookup two 12VDC batteries in parallel. Note the 12VDC stays the same but the 210AH doubles when wired in parallel... Also note the NEG LEAD connection position. This gives equal cables lengths for best performance of the batteries...

[​IMG]
    Google image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]